Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #6736
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Who has riddenn the new GS water cooled?

I am test riding the water head this week. Previously test rode the oil head adventure a few weeks ago. Wondering who can help me compare the two.I know the differences in the GS and GSA. I'm talking about characteristic in the motor, and what to look for on the test ride new GSW to old GS.
Thanks
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #6737
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
I was at the Dealership Saturday. They are receiving their water cooled GS sometime this week. They were informed it was at the terminal on Thursday and that's usually a 5 day delivery give or take.

This one will have only the ABS on it. No traction control with the three ABS settings, no ESA or any of that other stuff. They were told that dealers would be given 'stripped' versions for demos, but the salesman said, "i don't know if I believe them."

Anyone else know what they dealer has/will receive in terms of options?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6738
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
OK, up to just over 500 miles on the LC now, it's in for the run in service and hopefully Akra can shortly, if it's arrived in stock.
I've just been out for my first night run with the new LED lights, not far, only a few miles.Yes, the LED give a brighter crisper light than the previous models where the light falls, but personally I'd like the low beam to throw a little further. I found down a dark narrow country lane ,which I knew quite well the low beam was good for about 35-40 mph. The high beam lights up the road well and allows for posted speed limit cruising no problem.
My only complaint is the same one I have with the K16's night ability, it's all very well having these new fancy lights, but like on the K16 the handle bar controls aren't illuminated so you don't know what buttons are where.
A word of warning, don't try and change engine modes in the dark as unless you are 100% sure you know you have the right button or there's a good chance you can hit the engine kill switch rather than the engine mode switch.
This has happened to a few K16 owners, myself included.
Come on BMW, illuminate your switch gear !

Here is the low/dipped beam

And here is the hi/full beam, to be fair I could actually see quite a bit further than is shown on the photo, which has only picked up the throw of the light onto the road, hedges ,trees etc could clearly be seen a lot further down the road than shown in the photo.

mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6739
bikewise
n00b

Oddometer: 3
scenic spin today

To all you waiting on your new lc, they are awsome. Got mine friday, thunder grey with wire wheels. Engine is far more responsive and faster revving than previous engine making it feel far stronger than the figures suggest. No hint of instability except the bike will wheelie of the throttle alone in the first 3 gears. The screen is superb and I am 6 foot. The seat seems good too, my only gripe is the notchy gearbox, but i'm hopeful it will free out. This bike really ticks all boxes, I have done a few light off road trails and it gives great confidence. So touring, commuting, scratching, offroad. This bike has it all covered. In a word wow
bikewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #6740
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
OK, up to just over 500 miles on the LC now, it's in for the run in service and hopefully Akra can shortly, if it's arrived in stock.
I've just been out for my first night run with the new LED lights, not far, only a few miles.Yes, the LED give a brighter crisper light than the previous models where the light falls, but personally I'd like the low beam to throw a little further. I found down a dark narrow country lane ,which I knew quite well the low beam was good for about 35-40 mph. The high beam lights up the road well and allows for posted speed limit cruising no problem.
My only complaint is the same one I have with the K16's night ability, it's all very well having these new fancy lights, but like on the K16 the handle bar controls aren't illuminated so you don't know what buttons are where.
A word of warning, don't try and change engine modes in the dark as unless you are 100% sure you know you have the right button or there's a good chance you can hit the engine kill switch rather than the engine mode switch.
This has happened to a few K16 owners, myself included.
Come on BMW, illuminate your switch gear !

Here is the low/dipped beam
Thanks for posting, but man the throw on that low beam is disappointing...I think worse than my camhead halogen. I sure hope that it is the picture quality or that the level can be adjusted.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6741
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for posting, but man the throw on that low beam is disappointing...I think worse than my camhead halogen. I sure hope that it is the picture quality or that the level can be adjusted.
It's better than the previous model, in that the throw is probably the same distance but the light is a lot crisper and more natural, the full beam is more than adequate.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6742
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Adjusting LED headlight: User manual page 74

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #6743
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
I always tweak both of mine a little higher - more noticeable in daylight, more effective when riding at night. They always seem to be set too low from new, just like speedometers always have to read high??
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #6744
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your feedback on the LED's and the pictures!
As far as the pictures go, I'd say its something that can only be captured with your own eyes because they totally depend on camera settings. BMW/LED module supplier have the proper charts comparing LED vs. H7, I'd be curious to see them.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 04:29 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #6745
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Adjusting LED headlight: User manual page 74

Page 70 in the US Rider's manual.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #6746
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
...lights...
Well your beams definitely need adjustment (your dealer SHOULD have done it).
They point too low.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #6747
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

To be honest this was the first time I've been out at night and seen the throw, I'll have a look at adjusting them tomorrow, but you are right tallguy the camera didn't capture a lot of what was illuminated.
Re the over reading spedo I noticed both the analogue and digital readouts were the standard 10% over compared to the GPS speed.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6748
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Well your beams definitely need adjustment (your dealer SHOULD have done it).
They point too low.
For sure, it's pointing too low.

Should look like this, everything on. Low-Beam, High-Beam, Accessory LED's (good large sensor camera)
HID low-beam, 2x3600lumens accessory LED's on dimmer/High-Beam override. One must love Canada for the lack of TUV.
In Germany "Race-control" would impound this on the spot (no type approval)...

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #6749
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Question regarding switching riding mode while riding. Riding modes can be switched while riding as long as you pull the clutch and twist the throttle back to idle position. If you have installed the coding plug then the fifth riding mode "Enduro Pro" is also available. Installing the coding plug will engage the memory function.

Is it true that you can also switch into "Enduro Pro" mode while riding and thereby disable the ABS function on the rear wheel while riding ?

Anybody got the coding plug installed and tested this feature ?

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6750
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Seat height: (ground to lowest point of seat)

Low seat: 820/840 mm
Standard seat: 850/870 mm
High seat: 870/890 mm
Rallye seat: 880 mm

Arch length: (ground-across-seat-to-ground)

Low seat: 1820/1870 mm
Standard seat: 1890/1940 mm
High seat: 1940/1990 mm
Rallye seat: 1920 mm

The Rallye seat is much more narrow than the standard seat and therefore the arch length is less than the standard seat in high position.

Max can you explain me when BMW lists two sizes per seat, are they referring to the rider and passenger or they are referring only to the rider's but measurement at the front and the back of the rider's seat? Thanks.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote