User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #6901
Seb1234
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
@Tallguy,

Even if the larger led ribbon on the full led option provides better lighting, the main reason for the difference is photographic : the camera is facing the light at the same height on the second picture while it is a little above on the first.
It looks brighter but it is not. Juste like if you put your face in front of any laser or led, you'll blink.

Then, the reason in Europe is because of a law that forces new vehicles to be lighted even during the day. This is not new for bikes that used to be lit by day to be seen by cars. Purpose is to be seen in rear mirrors.
So new cars now come with led ribbons.
Some manufacturers play with that to differentiate their cars : some shapes make the car easy to identify. "this is an Audi"...

I think BMW uses this not to provide a better light but to be recognized easily.

Anyway, led lights have white color that is well perceived even when they are small size.
What really matter is the night vision.
Seb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #6902
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderboulder View Post
But some folks here who ordered last November still haven't seen their bikes yet.
Some? I think you mean none in the U.S.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #6903
kaiserlover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thumbs down deleted posts

what happened to my posts?
kaiserlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #6904
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
As far as I know, at least here in the states, everyone who "ordered" a bike long ago did nothing more than make that agreement with their dealer. As of last week, ordering still wasn't available through BMW. This just means those people who "ordered" were put on the waiting list early and then their dealer would be sure the bike they wanted would come in as soon as possible. With that said, according to my dealer all the first bikes are pretty random. I was even told today if I actually ordered, I'd be about 2.5 months out. However, they also stated many of the next bikes coming in will be fully optioned so a order wasn't exactly needed. I put down my $500 to get in line for a bike that fits my requirements, but this isn't ordering. That's still likely 6 weeks out.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #6905
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Guess I'm just not seeing the big woopty doo on the led lights. I mean Starbucks isn't open at midnight so who needs the damn LED lights? Cool factor yes, wait another two months for one..nope.
Actually they are better according to tests on other vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Mine has everything but the LED's and Tire Pressure monitors, so I think I'll take it as is.
That is the reason you don't like them.
(the same reason you would not like 12GS '13 at all if you didn't buy one)

Have fun with the new bike. :)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #6906
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Curious post on the fork-top fix

Came across this curious post while perusing an Italian language Multistrada forum. There was a thread from someone who had test-ridden the new GS, which drew this contribution from another poster on what had been holding up GS deliveries. I will quote the relevant bit, in google translation:

'... only the magazine IN MOTO had the courage to make things clear. "Choosing to use a fork 37 mm (instead of 41) is the source of all evil ... engineers and testers have had to deal with problems of stability of the vehicle, caused by excessive flexibility of the fork ... to solve the problems of handling it was necessary to to make changes "on the run". Specifically, the "evil" of GS is hiding in the area of the top plate of the steering, which the model 2013 is fixed to the fork tube with two aluminum end caps that screw on the rods themselves ... because of the vibrations, you unscrew the fork caps and in the worst case the top plate can be disconnected from the steering fork. In these cases, the pilot no longer has control of the bike ... in Monaco have redesigned the new fork legs, which are mounted and punched in place of those currently present on models already products ... therefore, in contrast to what have wrongly said and written in many, the change is not a "detail", rather it is a complex operation which involves the removal of the Telelever and a delicate punching ... " '

The material between the double quotes is claimed to be from the magazine article. Bear in mind that this is in translation, and also that the poster appears, from other comments in the post, to be somewhat sceptical with respect to BMW.

Bear in mind also that the report merely elaborates on what has already been reported and cited in this thread, for example at Motorrad online here.

Apologies if these details came out earlier - I have not read all recent pages. And of course, the In Moto report (the mag title too is translated - did they mean the Spanish title En Moto?) might not be accurate. If not, doubtless someone here will correct it.

I can't quite swallow that a 4mm reduction in diameter of the Telelever fork must cause difficulties, as surely they could simply increase wall thickness to maintain stiffness. But perhaps they wanted to avoid the weight penalty. IIRC from the launch material, they cut the diameter so that the fork could clear the radiators.

It is also far from clear that the "stability" issue during testing alluded to in the report is connected with the "tankslapper" phenomena reported by some journalists at the launch event. I'd expect a tankslapper to arise from too much rigidity, not too little. In contrast, excess flex could easily generate high-speed weaves.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #6907
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Thanks for the info.
Personally (which means nothing to the forum hehehe) I also feel that the fork diameter reduction was a fault (esp. since the bike actually gained weight and CoG was moved a bit in front).
Of course my "feeling" means null (and should mean null) to expert mechanics in BMW. Yet, there are (strong?) indications that this part needed more thought.

One of the things that makes me happy I won't be in the first wave at all (we all make excuses ).

So candidates for first facelift:
- Thicker tubes (again).
- Color LCD HUD.
- More work for the GPS wheel (stop being just GPS wheel).
- +5 HP (because they actually tune it in carrot-donkey fashion, it is all a mapping thing now).
- ...add your own.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #6908
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
As far as I know, at least here in the states, everyone who "ordered" a bike long ago did nothing more than make that agreement with their dealer. As of last week, ordering still wasn't available through BMW. This just means those people who "ordered" were put on the waiting list early and then their dealer would be sure the bike they wanted would come in as soon as possible. With that said, according to my dealer all the first bikes are pretty random. I was even told today if I actually ordered, I'd be about 2.5 months out. However, they also stated many of the next bikes coming in will be fully optioned so a order wasn't exactly needed. I put down my $500 to get in line for a bike that fits my requirements, but this isn't ordering. That's still likely 6 weeks out.
I don't know where you are getting info from, but I was one of those $500 folks and my bike is definitely in production and making its slow progress this way.

Some dealers may do things differently, YMMV

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #6909
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I don't know where you are getting info from, but I was one of those $500 folks and my bike is definitely in production and making its slow progress this way.

Some dealers may do things differently, YMMV
3 dealers have told me the same thing regarding ordering not being open to the US till this week.

Regarding "your bike" being in production, where are located? I wonder if "your bike" is nothing more than the same type of deal I did today. I put $500 down on deposit to stand in line for a bike that will be showing up at the dealer all on it's own. Its just coming from dealer stock.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #6910
rednose
ReDnOsE

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Came across this curious post while perusing an Italian language Multistrada forum...
Apologies if these details came out earlier - I have not read all recent pages. And of course, the In Moto report (the mag title too is translated - did they mean the Spanish title En Moto?) might not be accurate. If not, doubtless someone here will correct it.

I can't quite swallow that a 4mm reduction in diameter of the Telelever fork must cause difficulties, as surely they could simply increase wall thickness to maintain stiffness. But perhaps they wanted to avoid the weight penalty. IIRC from the launch material, they cut the diameter so that the fork could clear the radiators.

It is also far from clear that the "stability" issue during testing alluded to in the report is connected with the "tankslapper" phenomena reported by some journalists at the launch event. I'd expect a tankslapper to arise from too much rigidity, not too little. In contrast, excess flex could easily generate high-speed weaves.
Hi there. Meaning of "IN MOTO" can be translated as "something that moves" or "lets go ride a bike" or "on bike" ... I follow BMW Italians forum too. People there say "between the lines" that the fork reduction is the cause of the tankslapping and someone even pushed the idea that fork reduction -> tankslapping -> Kevin Ash accident ... Also the fork punching fact is not paying in favour of BMW's fork diameter reduction solution ...

What I personally don't like is this "shadow" - due to mentioned facts - of a motorbike with structural issues. I also suffer in my "old" 2004 model of the (in)famous flange cracks ... It is like BMW, on pursuing weight reduction (!!! >> 220kg :-( ) fails on keep on reliability ...

Just my .2 cent

r
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #6911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I'd like to see that dealer's stock room . I'm sure that number is what BMW Germany has at the distribution center for the whole country. A little bit crazy that Germany would have that level of stock given the bike isn't even available for sale there yet, but places where it is have no stock
Was thinking the same thing as you, and asked him if he really has al these cases in their own stockroom, and he answered : yes of course, well be selling all of them easily in 2013
Keep in mind that this dealer is on of the largest in Germany, so it could be true.
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #6912
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Akrapovic delivery dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Exactly. Can you ask them when the dark screens will arrive as well?
My dealer says mid April for delivery to BMW Germany, then a week to get to the UK

He could not give me any info re availability of tinted screens, sorry.
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #6913
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Was thinking the same thing as you, and asked him if he really has al these cases in their own stockroom, and he answered : yes of course, well be selling all of them easily in 2013
Keep in mind that this dealer is on of the largest in Germany, so it could be true.
When a bike is estimated to sell about 200k in 8 years (which easily translates to 20k first year), I don't think a central dealer in a big country (that is also the manufacturing country of the bike) will have a problem selling 250 cases. :)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #6914
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
My dealer says mid April for delivery to BMW Germany, then a week to get to the UK

He could not give me any info re availability of tinted screens, sorry.
Is there a photo of a new GS with the tinted screen?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #6915
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Is there a photo of a new GS with the tinted screen?
Not seen one except for the accessories catalogue. Not buying one myself, maybe RichBMW has seen a pic?
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote