Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #6931
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
First one delivered to Pensacola Florida. Gray base model, only option looked to be cruise control. Having open house on Saturday so people can ride it. May give it a go but since I got a Rallye 6 months ago no need to see what I missed. Although paint wise I think mine looks better than any of the new models. New model paint is the flat not shiney finish. Are they all that finish? Hope not don't like it at all.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #6932
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
First one delivered to Pensacola Florida. Gray base model, only option looked to be cruise control. Having open house on Saturday so people can ride it. May give it a go but since I got a Rallye 6 months ago no need to see what I missed. Although paint wise I think mine looks better than any of the new models. New model paint is the flat not shiney finish. Are they all that finish? Hope not don't like it at all.
I understand your reasoning, but you do realize how easy (and cheap) is to repaint a 12GS eh? :)
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #6933
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I have a painting disablity. If I paint it looks like crap. If someone else paints it for me it looks great........for a while, then looks like crap. I just want it nice looking so I can beat the crap out of it and make it look loved. Or some say like crap!
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #6934
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
I have a painting disablity. If I paint it looks like crap. If someone else paints it for me it looks great........for a while, then looks like crap. I just want it nice looking so I can beat the crap out of it and make it look loved. Or some say like crap!
Ah I know what you mean. You should see the love on mine.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #6935
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Damn, snowing again here in the Belgian Ardennes
Bike will normally delivered by the end of next week, so first we need some rain to wash away the salt on the roads, and by the end of next week some mild spring temps..
268 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #6936
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
A GS without LEDs and dynamic ESA is like a hotdog without onions and ketchup
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #6937
khale
ride dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

Can anyone tell me what the benefit of having a tinted screen is? I imagine whenever you are riding towards the sun it benefits you to keep shade on your displays/GPS, but what good does it do when the sun is behind you? Is it just for aesthetics?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #6938
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1234 View Post
@Tallguy,

Even if the larger led ribbon on the full led option provides better lighting, the main reason for the difference is photographic : the camera is facing the light at the same height on the second picture while it is a little above on the first.
It looks brighter but it is not. Juste like if you put your face in front of any laser or led, you'll blink.

Then, the reason in Europe is because of a law that forces new vehicles to be lighted even during the day. This is not new for bikes that used to be lit by day to be seen by cars. Purpose is to be seen in rear mirrors.
So new cars now come with led ribbons.
Some manufacturers play with that to differentiate their cars : some shapes make the car easy to identify. "this is an Audi"...

I think BMW uses this not to provide a better light but to be recognized easily.

Anyway, led lights have white color that is well perceived even when they are small size.
What really matter is the night vision.
Sure. My point is that most of these DRL attempts are not that great, they look cool but don't achieve much visibility during the day, you want to be noticed and if you ask me the low-beam provides that so having a DRL and not having the ability to also turn on the low-beam is not great. I think on the motorcycle both DRL and low-beam should be on at the same time, can somebody confirm that it's not exclusive as it is on cars?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #6939
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Damn, snowing again here in the Belgian Ardennes
Bike will normally delivered by the end of next week, so first we need some rain to wash away the salt on the roads, and by the end of next week some mild spring temps..
Haven't heard anything yet. Normally delivery should be round the same time as you.
Only got a mail from the dealer about the testrides... (I just want to 'testdrive' my precious)
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #6940
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Can anyone tell me what the benefit of having a tinted screen is? I imagine whenever you are riding towards the sun it benefits you to keep shade on your displays/GPS, but what good does it do when the sun is behind you? Is it just for aesthetics?
I got a tinted screen on my current bike and it is 100% aestetics. It matches the bodywork better on a dark blue bike.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #6941
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
This is no attack on your comments but to the article you refer to.

Oh my God. More fuel to the rumor mill.

Are there anyone that knows the material thickness of the new fork tubes as well as the specification of the materials used? I don't think so. If these people don't have access to the specifications and details regarding stiffness of the tubes then I just want to say "shut the front door". Is it something you think or is it something you know for a fact? Don't forget that employees from BMW Motorrad's competitors are also writing in all these forums. There are lots of people that wants to put this new 1200GS LC in a bad light because their business will be affected negatively by the success this new GS is going to have. All this with good reason. There is plenty of potential in the adventure market but BMW Motorrad will take the major part of this with the new GS no matter of how many negative rumors people try to spread on the internet.

Spreading rumors about the reason for the dead of a journalist in South Africa is totally tasteless. Don't you have any shame in life.

Take a good hard look at the track record. You can find lots of GS's that has been around the world many times. Sure you can also find people that are able to break their GS into pieces. Are these GS bikes durable? Yes. Can you break them? Yes. A really good recipe for disaster is to buy half the Touratech catalog and hang 30 kg of laser cut "protection" junk on your GS and then add the biggest panniers and fill them up with stuff you don't need including 10 kg tool kit and then try to climb a mountain where even a hard core motocross bike will wet it's pants. It will break.

I guess that less then five percent of the miles/km's ridden on the GS's are off-road. I believe that the people at BMW Motorrad have done a great job when developing the new GS. They have made a bike that focus on the type of riding their customers do. Some GS owners fall outside the focus group (hard core off-road riders) but you can not please everybody all the time.

A last word to those that are afraid of any recalls or technical issues with a new motorcycle model. Wait. Don't order the new GS and if you already have one on order then cancel it. For the rest of us that are realistic to the fact that this is a new product with limited testing under the belt and probability that there will be issues: Enjoy your new ride.

Max :-)
Well said Max
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #6942
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
You just turn the automatic headlight function off using the handle bar button, and the DRL and dipped light are on simultaneously.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #6943
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
You just turn the automatic headlight function off using the handle bar button, and the DRL and dipped light are on simultaneously.
I wasn't sure that was possible but I guess you have tried it on your bike? If so, I will be delighted
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #6944
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Yes, I've played with it, that button on the bar is for the auto headlight function, so it automatically comes on in tunnels and at dusk. Turning the auto function off the headlight defaults to on, and the DRL also stays on
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #6945
khale
ride dirty

Quote:
Yes, I've played with it, that button on the bar is for the auto headlight function, so it automatically comes on in tunnels and at dusk. Turning the auto function off the headlight defaults to on, and the DRL also stays on
Nice!