Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #7051
Beefeater Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by omstas View Post
Hello All!
Today I bought new GS WC in the maximum complete set on spokes.
At us in Russia it costs 21000 euro or 28000 dollars.
I congratulate all owners of GS WC on very good motorcycle!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Post pics, please.

PLEASE.
Beefeater Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #7052
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
W version looks nicer though.
The Wunderlich stand looks like someone started eating the side of it
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #7053
omstas
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks friends!
The photo I can't add yet, it isn't enough messages.
I already made the order in Touratech
radiator protector
Cylinder protector
crash bar
crash bar extension
for 630 euros
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #7054
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
The Wunderlich stand looks like someone started eating the side of it
It's called "design".

(The TT looks very ugly in my eyes btw... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would not buy any of the two I said :))
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #7055
omstas
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
I would not buy any of the two I said :))
Very useful thing. On my previous motorcycle it was established. I recommend!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #7056
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 164
Re the kickstand enlarger; I've always had them on my GSs. Before I test rode the new LC on Tuesday the manager at the dealership told me that he'd accidentally killed the engine by missing the foot peg while underway and touching the kickstand extension instead. As you all know, that kills the engine. Very dangerous while moving.

He's recommending cutting it off (it looks sort of like a dewclaw on your dog) and putting on any one of the examples from Touratech, Ilium, Wonderlich, etc.

Good idea, I think.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #7057
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Re the kickstand enlarger; I've always had them on my GSs. Before I test rode the new LC on Tuesday the manager at the dealership told me that he'd accidentally killed the engine by missing the foot peg while underway and touching the kickstand extension instead. As you all know, that kills the engine. Very dangerous while moving.

He's recommending cutting it off (it looks sort of like a dewclaw on your dog) and putting on any one of the examples from Touratech, Ilium, Wonderlich, etc.

Good idea, I think.
Thanks for the heads up on the side stand extension (short peg low down on the side stand). Have had this issue with a killed engine on one of my other GS bikes until I realized that one of the springs that hold the side stand had fallen off. It did not take a lot of bumpy tracks before the engine start to cut out because the side stand was flicking up and down. Have had the Wunderlich side stand plate on several GS bikes and never an issue with the plate itself.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #7058
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
2013 R1200GS test ride

Got to ride the new R1200GS couple of days ago. It is narrower than my 2012 triple black even with the radiators. Has more power and the stock seat is much more comfortable, as well as being lower!!
Got a few cell phone pics...

A new innovation that I had not seen before.

The windshield was great too! At the highest position (I'm 5'11") the air flow was smooth and just over my helmet. Loved it.

One thing I noticed is that the kick stand is kind of hard to find, it's real close to the foot peg. Maybe it's just that I wasn't used to it, don't know.

The cruise control was sweeeeeeet!! works very well and does not increase or decrease in speed upon engagement. Of course the turn signals being on one switch now is also great. Transmission is silky smooth (almost Japanese smooth)

This bike pulls in sixth gear like mine does in 5th. The new engine also doesn't have the torque effect when rev'ing the throttle like mine. Lots of great engineering went into this bike.
One bad thing, none of your current farkles will fit it......... (or very few anyway)

Bike feels very light, weight is even lower than on my 2012. Great bike
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #7059
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Good review...thanks. Glad to hear the transmission is smooth after someone else reported the opposite. RE: the valve stems...that has been a BMW trademark for awhile on their cast wheels.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #7060
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
you don't know what you are talking about, the 1190 it's only 3 kg hevier then the 990 and once you put the akra on it gets even ligher.
It has much stronger low torque then the 990 and by using the enduro mode the bike become VERY easy to handle on dirt and the enduro ABS is fantastic.
Just don't even try to think of doing what a ktm 1190 adv r can do off road if you don't want to get hurt with your beautifull GSes.
I don't think provoking speech is endorsed in this forum. (what ru doing in this thread you said?)
Be happy with your 1190.
KTM will be lucky if it gets like 10% of GS sales. I am sure 90% of the market are ignorant posers.
That said, 1190 is easily on top-three (like 990 was before).

As for GS? I am not sure it breaks so easily:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzdD9JJ6eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSurk3yIMDg
(I suggest you check these out in their entirety)

In addition to that, urban mode, I can testify that two cars directly hit my right boxer (and protector), had WAY worse damage than the bike (on which I still have the same protector and engine cover that suffered both incidents). I think because of the boxer I still have a right foot too.
My GS has once replaced front suspension (spit all its oil in an enduro training), under warranty of course. Nothing since then (6 years ago). My KTM 950 friend? I think the bike is for repair while I write these lines.
I also remember the white smoke a few years ago (that was another time the 950 went to doctor) when we tried our v-max in some nice open straight. It was one of his valves hitting the head we learned later. (actually the valve and head amalgamated that day)

As I said have fun with your beast. Nice bike. I think its features remind me of something.

EDIT: Can someone teach me to EMBED video here?

NLS screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 01:02 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #7061
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
you don't know what you are talking about, the 1190 it's only 3 kg hevier then the 990 and once you put the akra on it gets even ligher.
It has much stronger low torque then the 990 and by using the enduro mode the bike become VERY easy to handle on dirt and the enduro ABS is fantastic.
Just don't even try to think of doing what a ktm 1190 adv r can do off road if you don't want to get hurt with your beautifull GSes.
KTM no longer stands for "Kick Till Monday", they are a real contender now, however, not really for BMW, well maybe F800GS, but more so for the Multiblabla and the Versys.
BMW has a way stronger focus on the road, KTM is still the "King Of The Mountain".
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #7062
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
KTM no longer stands for "Kick Till Monday", they are a real contender now, however, not really for BMW, well maybe F800GS, but more so for the Multiblabla and the Versys.
BMW has a way stronger focus on the road, KTM is still the "King Of The Mountain".
The Greek explanation of the acronym doesn't translate ok, but it goes like "Every Tuesday Mechanic". :)
Stupid BMW owners say these things.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #7063
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:

especially now that is the new GS that needs particular attention form the mechanic.....

igorpetrovich screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 01:50 PM
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7064
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
I don't think provoking speech is endorsed in this forum. (what ru doing in this thread you said?)
Be happy with your 1190.
KTM will be lucky if it gets like 10% of GS sales. I am sure 90% of the market are ignorant posers.
That said, 1190 is easily on top-three (like 990 was before).

As for GS? I am not sure it breaks so easily:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzdD9JJ6eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSurk3yIMDg
(I suggest you check these out in their entirety)

In addition to that, urban mode, I can testify that two cars directly hit my right boxer (and protector), had WAY worse damage than the bike (on which I still have the same protector and engine cover that suffered both incidents). I think because of the boxer I still have a right foot too.
My GS has once replaced front suspension (spit all its oil in an enduro training), under warranty of course. Nothing since then (6 years ago). My KTM 950 friend? I think the bike is for repair while I write these lines.
I also remember the white smoke a few years ago (that was another time the 950 went to doctor) when we tried our v-max in some nice open straight. It was one of his valves hitting the head we learned later. (actually the valve and head amalgamated that day)

As I said have fun with your beast. Nice bike. I think its features remind me of something.

EDIT: Can someone teach me to EMBED video here?
Quote:
The Greek explanation of the acronym doesn't translate ok, but it goes like "Every Tuesday Mechanic". :)
Help to embedding videos is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385793

I told you not to mess with the "Yellow People". Be nice to them. BMW Motorrad are selling close to 40.000 GS bikes yearly out of their total annual sale of 100.000 bikes. KTM sold more than 100.000 bikes last year and are now bigger in sales numbers but it is not easy to find facts about their actual sales figures for each model. However, I doubt that their adventure models are selling in the same numbers as BMW Motorrad. That said I hope that KTM will have a lot of success with their new 1190 and thereby bringing some business to Europe. We need it.

I can only wish that all new owners of the new 1190 will have as much fun with their new ride as we are going to have with the new 1200GS LC. That 1190 is not for me. I have a lot of other things to when I am on the road than lubing a chain.

The "Yellow People" may have a larger tool kit as standard but I have several times pull over and lend them my tools so that they could get their orange beast going again. It has never been the other way around. Well, maybe because I have never needed it.

In my language KTM stands for "Drive To Mechanic". I hope that they are getting better at building bikes, so that I don't wear down my tools

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #7065
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I have the Touratech plate on mine, and it is a good fit, and doesn't interfere with anything on the bike. I'd recommend one if you are parking on anything other than tarmac.
also got the touratech one waiting for my bike
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote