ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #7066
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
also got the touratech one waiting for my bike
Good choice
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSAW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #7067
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Good choice
Got quite a lot of touratech stuff waiting for me. But I need my bike first to fit it all.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #7068
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
OK LED experts. Why is the DRL "pulsating" on this video? If the LEDs were steady on (DC) they wouldn't pulse regardless of video framerate, right? Are they being dimmed like Clearwater does by pulsing the light?

nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #7069
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
OK LED experts. Why is the DRL "pulsating" on this video? If the LEDs were steady on (DC) they wouldn't pulse regardless of video framerate, right? Are they being dimmed like Clearwater does by pulsing the light?

I believe it is called 'Aliasing' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing Light and sound travel in waves, and it's how the light is captured on video on the device. I'm sure someone can provide a more detailed explanation...
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #7070
avalher
Life is Good.
 
avalher's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Baja
Oddometer: 100
Pissed

Just got off the phone with sales guy from BMW, he's got a GS.... just came in, just doesn't have all the options I ordered. No LED, no tire pressure monitor, and minus a few other nick nacks. At this point I decided to wait for mine. This time he came clean on the situation and said it would be about 4 weeks from today. That's a step forward I guess cause before today I was basically getting the mushroom treatment. The price we have to pay I guess....sucks ass though!!
__________________
Live everyday like there's no tomorrow...
avalher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #7071
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
Just got off the phone with sales guy from BMW, he's got a GS.... just came in, just doesn't have all the options I ordered. No LED, no tire pressure monitor, and minus a few other nick nacks. At this point I decided to wait for mine. This time he came clean on the situation and said it would be about 4 weeks from today. That's a step forward I guess cause before today I was basically getting the mushroom treatment. The price we have to pay I guess....sucks ass though!!
See page 446. Same thing happened to me. It's the Christmas countdown for us big boys until next month.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #7072
avalher
Life is Good.
 
avalher's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Baja
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
See page 446. Same thing happened to me. It's the Christmas countdown for us big boys until next month.
That it is my friend, that it is!!!!! Sucks though, been keeping my patience reading probably all the articles ever written on this bike and watching probably ALL the videos on you tube pertaining to this beast. End of April will not come soon enough!!
__________________
Live everyday like there's no tomorrow...
avalher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #7073
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
See page 446. Same thing happened to me. It's the Christmas countdown for us big boys until next month.
Six inches of snow here today and in the forecast for the next 10 days tempers the anticipation. For probably the first time in my life I'm glad its not 70F in March here...
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #7074
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
OK LED experts. Why is the DRL "pulsating" on this video? If the LEDs were steady on (DC) they wouldn't pulse regardless of video framerate, right? Are they being dimmed like Clearwater does by pulsing the light?
I believe it is due to Pulse Duration Modulation (PDM), and is used to control power delivered to the LED without loss which happens when resistors are used. However, it helps but I don't believe that was the reason BMW chose this method.

You will notice in your video, that on the DRL LED it pulsates while the LED Fog lights don't. Because the fog light is using the resistive type.

Why did BMW use it in DRL? Well, as someone mentioned that in Germany, when you switch to Low Beam (Dipped) lights, the intensity of the DRL is lowered (the law!). This could also apply to other countries with such laws. By using the PDM (aka Pulse Width Modulation), they can increase/decrease the amount of light that is supplied to the LED.

Side Effects: What you noticed, flickering. It is because the switching frequency is different that frame rate of the video camera. Human eye cannot notice it.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #7075
Roadinator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Roadinator's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: DC & WV
Oddometer: 171
[QUOTE=khale;21002670]I believe it is called 'Aliasing'
That is more about how the image is getting scanned from the camera than aliasing. Aliasing is more fringing you get with certain patterns from clothes or tight brick patterns on walls. This is more like when you shoot a tv or computer screen and you see lines flicker from the computer or tv. On some cameras you can adjust the camera scan rate to be in sync with the image you are recording. Maybe even adjusting the shutter would help, but it is the electrical current of the LED light not matching the camera scan rate.
Roadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #7076
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
especially now that is the new GS that needs particular attention form the mechanic.....
Indeed. Before people actually ride it.
This is still a vote up for me, not a vote down.
To its, his own.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #7077
Retired-N-Roamin
Retired and Roamin
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Western USA
Oddometer: 52
I've not perused all 472 pages of this thread - but I have not seen this before. Too cool methinks!



.
__________________
"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to. The day will come when I die. The only matter of consequence is what I will do with my allotted time?
Retired-N-Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #7078
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Help to embedding videos is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385793

Thanks

That said I hope that KTM will have a lot of success with their new 1190 and thereby bringing some business to Europe. We need it.

Amen

I can only wish that all new owners of the new 1190 will have as much fun with their new ride as we are going to have with the new 1200GS LC.

Agree

That 1190 is not for me. I have a lot of other things to when I am on the road than lubing a chain.

After TWO chains popping out with my last chain bike (one was near the top of a mountain, coming night, in fog, no civilization close) , both with my wife at the back, my chain days are over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
OK LED experts. Why is the DRL "pulsating" on this video? If the LEDs were steady on (DC) they wouldn't pulse regardless of video framerate, right? Are they being dimmed like Clearwater does by pulsing the light?
Indeed as explained there is pulsing. NOT seen with naked eye (which is what matters to me - I don't care if there are tiny people lighting candles inside the assembly).
You can also see it in HUD warning lights.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #7079
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Peak District. UK
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
I take it you are referring to the "yellow forum"?
I seem to remember it had a yellow tint to it last time I was there, which must be about 7 years ago.

Surely KTM would be the orange people, not the yellow people? we weren't referring them though honest.
__________________
Future..on order-BMW GSA LC,
Present..BMW R1200GS LC, K1200R-SPORT, R1200S,HP4
Past.. BMW R1150GSA,R1200GSA,R1200GS,R1200RT,K1600GT
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #7080
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I believe it is due to Pulse Duration Modulation (PDM), and is used to control power delivered to the LED without loss which happens when resistors are used. However, it helps but I don't believe that was the reason BMW chose this method.

You will notice in your video, that on the DRL LED it pulsates while the LED Fog lights don't. Because the fog light is using the resistive type.

Why did BMW use it in DRL? Well, as someone mentioned that in Germany, when you switch to Low Beam (Dipped) lights, the intensity of the DRL is lowered (the law!). This could also apply to other countries with such laws. By using the PDM (aka Pulse Width Modulation), they can increase/decrease the amount of light that is supplied to the LED.

Side Effects: What you noticed, flickering. It is because the switching frequency is different that frame rate of the video camera. Human eye cannot notice it.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the dimming requirements, hence the pulse modulation. So the same process Clearwater does (and probably many others) to dim their LEDs. Thanks for the thorough answer.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014