Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #7171
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I too finally demoed one today. As most have said, it's pretty nice. I do think it needs a better windscreen though. The air that went over it was smooth, so they did something right, but even in the full up position there was a fair amount of air hitting me. At 33 degrees, I could have used some more wind blockage. It was a stark contrast to my current GS with a Givi Airflow on it.

I was waiting, like many, for a premium plus with the LED. However, they have a premium on the floor with a few extra accessories so the only thing it's missing is the LED and the bag mounts (which I don't want anyway). It's also $1100 cheaper than a premium plus and I could have it now vs waiting up to two months still. This got me to thinking, I seem to remember somebody posting a parts fiche to the new bike that had the LED headlight in it. I can't find it now. Seems to me I remember the light itself only being like $1000. Anyway have the parts fiche to the new bike handy?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #7172
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Who would want to buy the pre-WC GS? I can't see that happen, of course they will sell if the price is right.
Even the ADV I can't see selling for full price now that the new is basically "waiting to hit the road".
Sorry. Disagree. I took one look at WC (water closet) GS at a local dealer today and nearly lost my lunch.

BMW has "jumped the shark".

I predict that the air/oil cooled bikes will retain the base following until such a time as their numbers have dwindled so as to make them as rare as an Indian Four.

The bike I saw today had as much appeal as an agricultural pumping station, and the motor looked reminiscent of one.

I'd go back to KTM if I was going to do another dual sport.

The thing I saw today was...impure...unholy.

Juan Loboe screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 09:01 PM
Juan Loboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #7173
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
I thought jumping the shark was a good thing, like the Fonz on waterskis. Could it get any cooler?

incidentally I rode the bike today. The "stripped" version with cruise and heated grips was good enough to reconsider the wait for the premium plus one that I have coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loboe View Post
Sorry. Disagree. I took one look at WC (water closet) GS at a local dealer today and nearly lost my lunch.

BMW has "jumped the shark".

I predict that the air/oil cooled bikes will retain the base following until such a time as their numbers have dwindled so as to make them as rare as an Indian Four.

The bike I saw today had as much appeal as an agricultural pumping station, and the motor looked reminiscent of one.

I'd go back to KTM if I was going to do another dual sport.

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #7174
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I thought jumping the shark was a good thing, like the Fonz on waterskis. Could it get any cooler?
Happy Days ended soon after that episode, remember?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #7175
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Next, I suppose Harley will introduce a water-cooled Road King.

Ah, well. It was great, while it lasted.

Time to look at sports cars again.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #7176
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Cool2 all kinds of flavors

4 score and many years ago...ok well 5 but it seems like forever, I installed HID aftermarket in my then beloved 2007 R1200GS. Those lights made it look like day. I also added some piaa 900 series..and it looked like an oncomming startship dropping out of warp. I NEVER lost a high beam head light war!

Today you have this, at far less expensive prices. http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15736461 THere is no way any LED will light up the road like HID done right! And if you still want LED you can hardly do better than these...http://clearwaterlights.com/index.html

besides ubber high power LED's are not 100% proven in my humble opinion.
If you were on a trip and the LED would fail, you would not have any options for light. If your stock lamp or HID set up would fail, you have inexpensive viable options.
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #7177
Hotshoe40Q
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Nice ride. Congrats. Looks like you have got the coding plug for the Enduro Pro mode installed. Is that right?

Max :-)
Yes it does. It comes with all but spokes, LED HL and TPM. Fine with me for now. Break in starts at noon tomorrow.
Hotshoe40Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #7178
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loboe View Post
Happy Days ended soon after that episode, remember?
I remember, I just fixated on how cool the Fonz was

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #7179
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post
It's the white one. The white one also has a lot of grey. These wheels are a perfect match for this bike/color (imho).

Very Nice!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #7180
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
it's in, tomorrow.

though i will go thru acquisition tomorrow... our Colorado spring blizzard will prevent me from bringing it home. It's some weird fate; having to wait for months only to have to wait further once it actually shows up. No matter, I'm still very psyched and somehow feel that predicting the weather is more dependable than was trying to predict a delivery from Berlin.

Quick question for those who have or are in the know. The navigator IV blutooth capability on the new mount. I'm told that I can control whatever device (phone) I want thru the hand controls via blutooth. Soooo. If I have ear buds plugged into my phone (and my head) will I be able to control the music selection and volume thru the left hand controls?

I know the nav IV will blutooth to a Schuby helmet with ear speakers but my hearing prevents use of speakers...I need the benefits of sound isolation AND music amplification. I'm sure this will make sense to someone who's figured out solutions.

White, spoked, premium, and some extras to call my own... !
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #7181
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
though i will go thru acquisition tomorrow... our Colorado spring blizzard will prevent me from bringing it home. It's some weird fate; having to wait for months only to have to wait further once it actually shows up. No matter, I'm still very psyched and somehow feel that predicting the weather is more dependable than was trying to predict a delivery from Berlin.

Quick question for those who have or are in the know. The navigator IV blutooth capability on the new mount. I'm told that I can control whatever device (phone) I want thru the hand controls via blutooth. Soooo. If I have ear buds plugged into my phone (and my head) will I be able to control the music selection and volume thru the left hand controls?

I know the nav IV will blutooth to a Schuby helmet with ear speakers but my hearing prevents use of speakers...I need the benefits of sound isolation AND music amplification. I'm sure this will make sense to someone who's figured out solutions.

White, spoked, premium, and some extras to call my own... !
Beats me. But enjoy your new bike. I'll bet that a number of what could have been viewed as...quirks...or weaknesses...or "prone to's" have now been fixed!!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #7182
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
4 score and many years ago...ok well 5 but it seems like forever, I installed HID aftermarket in my then beloved 2007 R1200GS. Those lights made it look like day. I also added some piaa 900 series..and it looked like an oncomming startship dropping out of warp. I NEVER lost a high beam head light war!

Today you have this, at far less expensive prices. http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15736461 THere is no way any LED will light up the road like HID done right! And if you still want LED you can hardly do better than these...http://clearwaterlights.com/index.html

besides ubber high power LED's are not 100% proven in my humble opinion.
If you were on a trip and the LED would fail, you would not have any options for light. If your stock lamp or HID set up would fail, you have inexpensive viable options.
HID/Clearwater LED, none of these would be suitable/legal for street riding, right?
Cheap HID Aftermarket never due to non-conform reflector design (light everywhere and yes, partly on the road as well).
Clearwater: Fantastic "Take down" lights for stationary use or off-road.
Nothing wrong with proper OEM LED's. (low-beam, high-beam, DRL, turn signals and rear LEDs (standard).
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #7183
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Who would want to buy the pre-WC GS? I can't see that happen, of course they will sell if the price is right.
About 3 weeks ago I was at my local dealer, they offered me $1000 off the MSRP on an old GS. But:
1. The new GS hasn't arrived yet.
2. I wasn't even bargaining, I just asked what was the incentive on the old one.

Of course, I ordered a new GS
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #7184
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
though i will go thru acquisition tomorrow... our Colorado spring blizzard will prevent me from bringing it home. It's some weird fate; having to wait for months only to have to wait further once it actually shows up.
Look at the bright side, at least the storm started before you were trying to ride it home. Two years ago, roughly at this time of the year, I went to Denver to ride home my new bike - the forecast looked OK, and when I left home it was bright and sunny, yet half way home on my shiny new bike I was caught in the middle of a mild hail storm with strong side wind - I've since learned that here in Colorado we can have 4 seasons in a single day
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #7185
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
HID/Clearwater LED, none of these would be suitable/legal for street riding, right?
Cheap HID Aftermarket never due to non-conform reflector design (light everywhere and yes, partly on the road as well).
Clearwater: Fantastic "Take down" lights for stationary use or off-road.
Nothing wrong with proper OEM LED's. (low-beam, high-beam, DRL, turn signals and rear LEDs (standard).
Agree on the HID, removed mine. Annoyed too many drivers in day and night and the beam was so scattered it didn't really enhance my vision that much. Clearwaters are very usuable on road. A friend has them and they come with a dimmer, so you can dim them during the day for a great DRL and it hooks to your high beam so when you activate the high beams the clearwaters come on 100% power. Much better option than the BMW aux lights IMO.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote