Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #7261
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S View Post
Went to Irv Seavers today to ride the new R1200 G/S. They have a base model in red. The bike had people lining up to ride it, and it didn't get much rest all day. First off, the ergo, The seat is adjustable for height and for/aft and tilt. I have a 30" inseam and could touch the ground with both feet on the balls of my feet. On my 07, I have gotten used to putting down my left foot only with my right foot on the break. If I want to put both feet down, it's tippy toe's only. The new abilities are due to a MUCH more narrow front on the seat. The back seat is also now able to be adjusted for and aft with a tilt.
All the features of redesign of the motor have been explained to exhaustion in this thread,so, I won't go into those. Sitting on the bike is at once both familiar and different. The new windshield has a laminar flow plate at the base of it, so air is directed up and over the head mush better than on the older model. It has a adjustment knob that raises it and adjusts the tilt. This shield just works now. As I said the front of the saddle is narrow, so the bike just feels more flickable now. BUT at the same time, it feels way more planted. Let's just say handling, which was never a problem is even BETTER now!
A word of warning........when you blip the drive by wire throttle, make sure that your butt is up against the back seat, your gonna need it to stay on the bike! The POWER this new motor makes is AMAZING!!! It pulls no matter what gear you are in, no matter how low you lug it. Case in point, I was in 3rd gear, ran the rpm down to 2500, hit the throttle, the front came off of the ground about 4 inches!! I did that without using the clutch. Another thing I did was going into a right hander, I came up to it hot, got it whoa'ed down, put it into the corner, hit the throttle a little hard just before the apex, and did not realize that the front wheel had lifted. I unicycled it through the apex!! when I straightened it out the front went down(much to my surprise!!!). Did I mention that this bike takes off like a rocket???Oh wait, I did. I'm thinking that gone are the days that you will feed a Busa a wheel in the corner only. You will be able to feed them a wheel down the straights now as well.
Now with all that go, BMW didn't forget to add the whoa. New radial front brakes(with ABS of course)get the job done in VERY fine fashion. I am no trick rider by ANY means, but I could pull off front wheel stopies! They are THAT good. It case you were wondering, yes they are still partially linked, so the front applies both front and back.
Standing on the bike felt very natural. Some higher bars would be nice to have to do this in total comfort though.
My only real complaint,,,the new switch gear. I honked the horn once while THINKING I was putting on the left turn signal. BMW has given into all the mamby pamby's that didn't like (it's MUCH more intuitive)switch gear. It's now more like a Japanese bike. It will take this rider some getting used to.
The new clutch is very nice! Buttery smooth and easy to modulate. The levers are adjustable as well. One thing I did like about the new bar mounted appointments are the new fluid reservoirs. Finally back to metal with a window instead of out in the open plastic.
I could sit here and wax poetic all day, but what you REALLY NEED to do is get some seat time yourself on the new G/S to truly KNOW how much better this new bike is. I have an 07 G/S. Just as the 05 R1200 G/S was a night and day difference to the R1150 G/S, this new R1200 G/S is a night and day AND a night and day difference again.....if that makes any sense...
Nice report It's an awesome bike isn't it
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #7262
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Ah, the one around Hamar ? That's pitty, ordered my in Oslo :) Would be nice to have a fellow adv inside man :P I guess I could take a break in ride for the service id You promise not to just pretend to work on it :P
Btw, You can mention to the sales people to check their emails. When I was asking for offers they didn't even bother to reply :P
I will pretend not to pretend then
...and I will tell the sales-man, you be shure of that
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #7263
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
... I could sit here and wax poetic all day, but what you REALLY NEED to do is get some seat time yourself on the new G/S to truly KNOW how much better this new bike is. ...
So true, so true.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #7264
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
thanks for posting. How about the transmission oil restrictor...have you done that recall on any bikes and if so, what is involved?
Sorry, never done it, there was just a mentioning of this at the training and I think it involved taking the cams out on one side, wich is a wery easy task on the new engine.
However I can be remembering it wrong and I have not read the bulletin since none of the bikes we got were affected.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #7265
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Last day in America. Again only in America. Well, let us get it back to Europe.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #7266
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

To those of you that have got the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV on your new GS. It is specified that the GPS will include a lifetime map update. How is this provided? Do you get a code or is it installed on the GPS with a code? What do I have to look and ask for when I pick up my bike?

Source: www.bmw-motorrad.com

BMW Motorrad Navigator IV
• Bluetooth-compatible GPS satnav system optimised for use on motorcycles.
• Either without or with (Europe¹) preinstalled maps.
• Outstanding functionality combined with simple operation, tailored to motorcycling requirements.
• 4.3“ touchscreen, housing waterproof and fuel-resistant.
• Integrated lithium-ion battery (battery life up to 5 hours).
• Including carry-bag.
• Vehicle-specific bracket.

¹ Including nüMaps Lifetime.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #7267
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
To those of you that have got the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV on your new GS. It is specified that the GPS will include a lifetime map update. How is this provided? Do you get a code or is it installed on the GPS with a code? What do I have to look and ask for when I pick up my bike?

Source: www.bmw-motorrad.com

BMW Motorrad Navigator IV
• Bluetooth-compatible GPS satnav system optimised for use on motorcycles.
• Either without or with (Europe¹) preinstalled maps.
• Outstanding functionality combined with simple operation, tailored to motorcycling requirements.
• 4.3“ touchscreen, housing waterproof and fuel-resistant.
• Integrated lithium-ion battery (battery life up to 5 hours).
• Including carry-bag.
• Vehicle-specific bracket.

¹ Including nüMaps Lifetime.

You need to register the Nav with Garmin with your computer and it will let you know when updates are available(your computer not the Nav). Connect it to the computer via USB and within an hour it's all up to date.
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #7268
TR250Tom
Compensating Poser

Oddometer: 54
Vvt?

Hello,

I rode a new GS this past week and was thrilled. I've decided to replace my 2007 R12R with a new GS. Since it would take 8 weeks to get one, and I have a long tour planned in June, I have decided to put my money down on the 2014 GS waiting list at my local dealer, and take delivery after they start building the new model year in August. Hopefully that will solve the "beta tester" dilemma.

My only nagging worry is that all the magazine reviews have hinted that BMW rearranged the valve configuration with an eye on adding variable valve timing on a future version of this engine. Although 125 HP is about 30 more than I really need, it gives me pause to think that there might be a newer engine with better low-end torque available soon.

I know, there's always a newer model on the horizon, but has anyone else thought about this?

Cheers, Tom
TR250Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #7269
CaptMorganism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
With the high demand for these bikes you may have to wait till the 2014 model or maybe even later for dealers to be willing to haggle.... there are people counting the days till they get theirs. I doubt any of these animals will go out dealer's doors for anything below MSRP. They do have a $1000.00 incentive from the factory for the 2012 models......
I really was looking at the 2012 and not the 2013. The dealer had a bike they called a 2013 but it most assuredly was not the new bike. The tail end of the 2012's getting assembled in 2013 I suppose. It reminds me of the Harley buyers getting on a list and paying whatever the dealer requested just to be one of the "cool kids". Thank God for competition and other manufacturers.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #7270
scott123007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
A word of warning........when you blip the drive by wire throttle, make sure that your butt is up against the back seat, your gonna need it to stay on the bike! The POWER this new motor makes is AMAZING!!! It pulls no matter what gear you are in, no matter how low you lug it. Case in point, I was in 3rd gear, ran the rpm down to 2500, hit the throttle, the front came off of the ground about 4 inches!! I did that without using the clutch. Another thing I did was going into a right hander, I came up to it hot, got it whoa'ed down, put it into the corner, hit the throttle a little hard just before the apex, and did not realize that the front wheel had lifted. I unicycled it through the apex!! when I straightened it out the front went down(much to my surprise!!!). Did I mention that this bike takes off like a rocket???Oh wait, I did. I'm thinking that gone are the days that you will feed a Busa a wheel in the corner only. You will be able to feed them a wheel down the straights now as well.
So, again, what flavor is that KoolAid you've been drinking or was it just your run of the mill Blotter Acid?
Seriously, are you out of your frigging mind?
scott123007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #7271
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR250Tom View Post
Hello,

I rode a new GS this past week and was thrilled. I've decided to replace my 2007 R12R with a new GS. Since it would take 8 weeks to get one, and I have a long tour planned in June, I have decided to put my money down on the 2014 GS waiting list at my local dealer, and take delivery after they start building the new model year in August. Hopefully that will solve the "beta tester" dilemma.

My only nagging worry is that all the magazine reviews have hinted that BMW rearranged the valve configuration with an eye on adding variable valve timing on a future version of this engine. Although 125 HP is about 30 more than I really need, it gives me pause to think that there might be a newer engine with better low-end torque available soon.

I know, there's always a newer model on the horizon, but has anyone else thought about this?

Cheers, Tom
Don't know about BMW's future plans but I do know that the new GS doesn't suffer from low end torque deficit. Its motor pulls hard from the get-go.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #7272
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
Well, got fed up w mushroom treatment by dealer so emailed BMW Motorrad USA. Nice person replied and simply asked for Bike's Production Number.
My bike is on code 181 now. Should be at de dealer next Friday at latest...
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #7273
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
How did you check this?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7274
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I had a reflector on my fork fall off and I just got a spare from the dealer, for around $10. They are required by DOT, for good reasons, better visibility. Maybe check bikebandit.com? Also make sure the back of the reflector (where the adhesive is) is curved, so it can form fit to the curvature of your fork.
Over here we have no such obligation. But I prefer to use a reflective adhesive tape. Easy to place and visually less intrusive.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #7275
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Ohh, I bet you are happy now!!
My sales guy, after I told him I had been in contact with BMW directly, from out of the blue tells me "A bike just like the one you ordered just popped up on my screen and it's status code 150 scheduled to go into production on 4/3"......so I'm thinking "popped up on my screen"?!?!?! WTF!!! What kind of outfit is this (dealership)?? For a whole month the guy would just say he had no info at all. Not until I mentioned emailing BMW Motorrad directly did I start getting clear information. Jeeez! Well, at least now I know my bike's status. You guys in the same situation, demand information, ask for your order's production status code.