Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #7276
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
How did you check this?
Was at the dealer. He logged in and checked trough BMW-motorrad.
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #7277
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR250Tom View Post
Hello,

I rode a new GS this past week and was thrilled. I've decided to replace my 2007 R12R with a new GS. Since it would take 8 weeks to get one, and I have a long tour planned in June, I have decided to put my money down on the 2014 GS waiting list at my local dealer, and take delivery after they start building the new model year in August. Hopefully that will solve the "beta tester" dilemma.

My only nagging worry is that all the magazine reviews have hinted that BMW rearranged the valve configuration with an eye on adding variable valve timing on a future version of this engine. Although 125 HP is about 30 more than I really need, it gives me pause to think that there might be a newer engine with better low-end torque available soon.

I know, there's always a newer model on the horizon, but has anyone else thought about this?

Cheers, Tom
Man... quite a wrong way to think. This way you never get anything because the next one will be better.

This engine has years to live. Yes indeed the new setup DOES help if they eventually want to add v-tec (oups, I just dropped a Honda). That doesn't mean it will happen soon. I also suspect it won't be on GS first (R1200R is a better candidate).

125HP on a bike as capable as a GS is PLENTY. It actually goes to 9k RPM with is about 1500 more than your current GS! Actually I am 100% sure you WILL be able to keep up with our (MS and KTM) 150HP friends on a normal road with straights and twists (our current GS didn't have much of a problem with that either) and traffic (pretend you didn't read this and I will pretend I didn't write it).
The new technology allows for a bit more moding too (I am sure new controllers assisted by new full-body exhaust systems will be able to give a nice boost if you are into that stuff).

As for me, I am looking for the first and best mod right now: Actually GETTING a WC 12GS to replace my 07 12GS. If I manage that, I don't think I will bother much with anything performance related except a better/lighter exhaust (BMW's own Akra might be ok - except if my favorite BOS does a good job SOON) and an open filter, to have better breathing.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #7278
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
Ohh, I bet you are happy now!!
My sales guy, after I told him I had been in contact with BMW directly, from out of the blue tells me "A bike just like the one you ordered just popped up on my screen and it's status code 150 scheduled to go into production on 4/3"......so I'm thinking "popped up on my screen"?!?!?! WTF!!! What kind of outfit is this (dealership)?? For a whole month the guy would just say he had no info at all. Not until I mentioned emailing BMW Motorrad directly did I start getting clear information. Jeeez! Well, at least now I know my bike's status. You guys in the same situation, demand information, ask for your order's production status code.
Yep, totally stoked!
There's a small chance the bike could be there on Thursday. That way I could get the paperwork done by Saturday and take her for a weekend spin

If the she is delivered on Friday, well it's gonna be a loooong weekend...
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #7279
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Thanks for the photos. It looks like there could be an issue when mounting a side stand expansion plate together with the adjustable foot pegs in the lowest position. I have ordered the adjustable foot pegs and I think that I won't order the side stand expansion plate yet.

Again thanks for posting the photos. Perfect illustration of a small but potential issue.

Max :-)
Max i just checked the position and it's in the upper position, not the middle. I've adjusted the peg to the low position and then you hit the stand big time. In the middle position i hit the stand just a little.

I then adjusted the touratech side stand enlarger a bit - there is room to play. It helped but i think not enough. I will be trying it in the middle position for a while while actually riding the bike.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #7280
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
You won't be able to control a 660 with the wheel, it will only control the BMW nav 4.
I wonder if i could update my Garmin 660 to a nav4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR250Tom View Post
My only nagging worry is that all the magazine reviews have hinted that BMW rearranged the valve configuration with an eye on adding variable valve timing on a future version of this engine. Although 125 HP is about 30 more than I really need, it gives me pause to think that there might be a newer engine with better low-end torque available soon.

I know, there's always a newer model on the horizon, but has anyone else thought about this?

Cheers, Tom
I expect them to update it every 2 years or so. And I don't feel like waiting another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Yup, required and ugly. I'm German so in my case they are only recommended, same with speed limits
If I were riding at night I'd keep them but I don't so I'm OK with front visibility via aux lights and additional Skene Design P3 break LED's for the rear (absolutely great product).
I am really considering putting some P3 lights on there. I often riede at night or in fog and rear visibility of most bikes ain't that good. Only problem for me is installing it properly.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #7281
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
My bike is on code 181 now. Should be at de dealer next Friday at latest...
I do think I've stalked my dealer to much by now. Just hope mine will be on the same truck, since last wednesday it was awaiting shipment. Logically it will be the third one to arrive now. First 5 have arrived and mine was No8 at my dealership.
At the moment the agreement is to phone me when it (or the papers) arrive. Don't like the stress of waiting. But I would really like to have it before the long weekend.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #7282
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I expect them to update it every 2 years or so. And I don't feel like waiting another 2 years.
Actually I would say closer to 4.
BMW history really teaches.
First engine update on oilhead GS came late 2007 IIRC (first deliveries I think start of 2008).
I suspect sportier models will get the "more HP" version first, THEN the GS.
This depends though on when we will have sportier models with THIS (V1 WC) engine. RT is coming first, then R. It is possible that a boxer S version will be (re)introduced. You read it here first.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #7283
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I do think I've stalked my dealer to much by now. Just hope mine will be on the same truck, since last wednesday it was awaiting shipment. Logically it will be the third one to arrive now. First 5 have arrived and mine was No8 at my dealership.
At the moment the agreement is to phone me when it (or the papers) arrive. Don't like the stress of waiting. But I would really like to have it before the long weekend.
Same at my dealer. 2 red ones, 3 x T-grey and one white demo sitting at the parking lot, surrounded by snow.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #7284
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
test ride

I got a chance to test ride the new wet head yesterday. I can add one data point that says this bike feels totally different than the previous generation. One thing I did notice is that, unlike the previous gen that a nice top end rush, this one flattens off as you approach redline. Yes, there is PLENTY of power on tap, but it's concentrated at lower rpms. The whole riding experience reminds me very much of the Ducati Multistrada 1200. In short, I LOVE it! Not sure how she might be on dirt, but as a street machine, this is very sweet.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #7285
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Same at my dealer. 2 red ones, 3 x T-grey and one white demo sitting at the parking lot, surrounded by snow.
My dealer was a bit depressed by the thought of the launch weekend. Brand new bikes out in snow if they clients are crazy enough. They unspokenly gave me the advice not to come. Wait till the time gets better if you want to do some testrides was their advice.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #7286
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post
Max i just checked the position and it's in the upper position, not the middle. I've adjusted the peg to the low position and then you hit the stand big time. In the middle position i hit the stand just a little.

I then adjusted the touratech side stand enlarger a bit - there is room to play. It helped but i think not enough. I will be trying it in the middle position for a while while actually riding the bike.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #7287
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post

Thanks. I will have a closer look at this issue when I get my own. Again congrats with your new bike. It looks very nice in white with the spoke wheels.

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7288
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
You need to register the Nav with Garmin with your computer and it will let you know when updates are available(your computer not the Nav). Connect it to the computer via USB and within an hour it's all up to date.
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the update process but my question was more aimed at how the "Lifetime" was delivered together with the bike. When you buy a Garmin Zumo 660 then you can separately purchase a lifetime update and it is provided as a plastic card (credit card size) with a printed code on it. So do you get one of these plastic cards with a code from your BMW Motorrad dealer?

Sorry, for not being precise in the wording of my initial question.

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #7289
NLS
My bike needs washing...

4 new videos (3 of them missed as they are one month old)...

(TT stuff)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #7290
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
I have read every thread and review of the new LC1200gs

..and it seems that the new engine does not have a belt driving the alternator. On one hand that is good. On the other hand, the alternator seems to be buried inside of the engine? Is this correct?

If so, what happens when Alternator gets 30k, 60k, 100k on it. Brushes wear out! OMFG! ... Thousands of dollars to fix the charging system?

If it is a "brushless alternator" then what about bearing life etc.....

I dont think Meeeza likee that!

Racegun screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 06:10 PM Reason: i knat friiikin spheeelll
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote