Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #7306
jerryj
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 63
Where would I find the Build Date on the GS LC?
jerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7307
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Perhaps....my '11 GS has been perfect.
I RUE THE DAY I SOLD MY 1996 R110GS!

After you get it sorted, specially w/ an up-to-date Hall effect sensor,the bushings in the drive shaft pivot and a few others.... it is more than sufficient. Not as fast on the street, not as agile on the dirt.... but in the end, 1000 mile days are a piece of cake! Way more comfortable than a car
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #7308
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Our local BMW dealership had an Open House celebration today and I test-rode the new water-cooled 1200GS.

Its an awesome machine. It actually feels as small or smaller than the bike it replaces. I think I read that it is only 6 pounds heavier. It readily snaps right up on the centerstand with amazingly little effort. With 125 HP, it runs like scalded dog. It's very quick, very nimble, smooth-running and would be fun on a curvy road.

The switchgear is very well-designed and of top quailty in appearance and feel. The standard digital gear indicator is coupled with automatic turn signal cancellation and this year theyve finally added electronic cruise control to the bike. Many options such as suspension control are available. Everything worked fine. Again, it is a fast machine.

I didnt get a chance to test it on off-road conditions but I suspect it will perform much like its predecessor in that regard.

There is much new about the bike. BMW people will be especially impressed and I expect they will overwhelmingly opt for this bike over any remaining non-water-cooled versions that happen to remain on dealership floors. Pricing of the new bike is at or slightly below the older model!

I have to say that I felt a noticeable amount of heat that blows up from the two side-mounted radiators of the new GS. I'm curious how this would feel in the heat of summer weather or when plodding about in the woods. I don't recall reading anything about this in all the reviews of the new bike.

Oh, by the way. The media reports about pending recalls must be outdated. The dealership manager did a check with BMW corporate and there are currently NO pending recalls on the new GS in the US.

Time will tell.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #7309
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post

Oh, by the way. The media reports about pending recalls must be outdated. The dealership manager did a check with BMW corporate and there are currently NO pending recalls on the new GS in the US.

Time will tell.
Technically correct answer...which media reports are you referring to that reported U.S. recalls? You asked the wrong question...you should have asked about service campaigns/bulletins.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7310
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Ok, what "service campaigns/bulletins" are out ?

I have seen more than one article, one from Roadrunner, regarding recalls but Im not sure there was clarity about US or Europe -

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/03...s-new-r1200gs/
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #7311
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Perhaps....my '11 GS has been perfect.
My 2010 has been perfect, having said that I've only put 11000 Km on it, so sad!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #7312
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Ok, what "service campaigns/bulletins" are out ?

I have seen more than one article, one from Roadrunner, regarding recalls but Im not sure there was clarity about US or Europe -

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/03...s-new-r1200gs/
That's a poorly written/researched article. The recalls referred to were in Canada. But one might presume that similar service campaigns were being conducted on bikes around the world but are not classified as 'recalls' in those countries. That's why I suggested asking about service campaigns...BMW is not sharing details so we're all a little in the dark.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #7313
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Yesterday I had a chance to test ride the new GS and of course, took it. Here are my impressions in no particular order.

Please note that my main reference is my current Triumph Tiger 800 (Road Model) which has been extensively enhanced, with proper suspension set up for my weight, aftermarket windshield, bar risers, and the like. I did own a 2010 R1200GS and think I still recall how that felt.

1) Riding off the lot the bike felt like it had a dog slow turn in. I was so put off, I tried to verify this for the rest of the ride over and over again, and it always felt like I really had to force it into turns. Riding a twisty mountain road I really disliked the slow steering feel. I had a hard time riding good lines in the corners, always felt like it wanted to go really wide. I don't know whether that was due to the wider, heavier tires, the suspension setup (it was a standard, not dynamic ESA), or whatever. I never felt this on my old GS. Really put me off.

2) Wow, that engine is freaking strong. It feels like twice the power and torque compared to my 800cc 95HP Tiger, not just the 30% it actually is.

3) The engine revs super quick, supported by the super light throttle action. I liked that one. It takes away the tractor feeling a bit but not completely. The engine still vibrates quite a bit, but at a frequency I think can be easily tolerated on long days.

4) Excellent brakes. Much, much better than the ones on my Tiger. Really well defined action and great stopping power without too much force needed. I wish my Tiger had brakes like that.

5) Very good ergonomics. I rode with the seat in the low setting which I think was a mistake, but it was just what the bike was set up and I didn't want to play around, I wanted to ride. Leg room felt about the same as on my Tiger, thighs were about level with the ground. Lower pegs would be a good idea for me (34" inseam). Handlebar was spot on, about as good out of the box as my Tiger is now after serious adjustments and added bits.

6) The new handguards don't direct wind at the helmet anymore, but also have less coverage than the old style ones when the higher spoiler was installed. Still a significant improvement.

7) Windshield put the wind right on my neck under the helmet in the low position - useless for riding, super loud. Adjusted all the way up it was very good. I feel I could do long tours without thinking about a replacement windshield. A definite step up from that POS they used before on the standard GS and significantly better than the Adventure shield I had on my GS. About as good at the helmet as my Tiger with Palmer Large Shield, but much better around the rest of the upper body. Overall, the wind and weather protection is very good.

8) Love the tight turning radius. You can turn that bike on a dime. Especially coming from the Tiger which has oil tanker like turning radius.

9) Transmission and Shaft: didn't like it. Didn't like it at all. The transmission felt clunky, loud, and there was a lot of resistance when shifting, there was also lots of drive line lashing, throttle on/off transitions didn't feel good at all. First time in the last 10 years that I rode a shaft drive bike and felt it was not well done. Also it felt that it interfered with the rear suspension under throttle. Made it even harsher on bumps and felt like it had a hard time keeping the rear tire on the road.

10) Suspension was shit for my weight (156lbs without clothes). Sorry, but that's really what it was. This was a bike with a standard suspension, not dynamic ESA. The spring was fairly soft, compression damping was very harsh, especially in the front, rebound was better than compression but bounced the bike around quite a bit. The suspension was about as good/bad as my Tiger was when new and unchanged. Therefore - take that with a grain of salt, I ride a bike sprung for my weight, fully adjustable, and professionally set up. I'd have to do the same for the GS if I buy one. It's an expensive bike and I'd have to plan for another $2k for proper suspension. Maybe the dynamic ESA is much better - I certainly hope so. It's ~$2k either way - be that Wilbers or Öhlins or Dynamic ESA with one of the packages.

There is also a good chance that the bike was set up completely wrong for me, I didn't fiddle with anything as there just wasn't enough time, so no adjustments done, nothing even checked.

Overall I came away unimpressed by the whole package. There are some things that are incredibly good, but also some that really put me off. I was not unhappy to give the bike back and to get back on my Tiger and ride the same roads just for comparison. Liked the Tiger better there. And if I recall correctly, I also liked my old GS better (which had ESA and Road Attack II tires).

I will do another test ride later this year, on a bike with dynamic ESA, just for comparison, but for now - there is no danger of me going out and buying the 2013 GS. I feared that I would want one after the test ride and have to say: nope, definitely not the bike I rode yesterday.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #7314
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
F bmw

I paid a deposit the day after the press release, ordered by detail the day that was possible, was told my bike was built the first week in January, now am told it is "in route to warehouse". I called BMW to ask them to define that, they could not. What warehouse? They don't know. Where was the alleged bike physically located? They don't know. BMW seems committed to generating bad will and they are succeeding quite well. I have bought 4 new BMW cars and one new BMW motorcycle. I will never have another good thing to say about BMW. Period.

GSBruce screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 12:36 AM
GSBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #7315
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

2) Wow, that engine is freaking strong. It feels like twice the power and torque compared to my 800cc 95HP Tiger, not just the 30% it actually is.
Wow, sounds like we rode different bikes. Just curious which dealer?

I saw a Youtube dyno run and the GS dyno'd at 128hp and 96 ft. lbs at the wheel! So if that's true, BMWs numbers are significantly understated.

Another thought on the power....how much of it is simply throttle mapping do you think? The last part of the throttle turn feels pretty dead to me. I guess it also feels fast because the engine spins up so much faster than the camhead that you are in the meat of the torque curve much sooner???
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #7316
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Wow, sounds like we rode different bikes. Just curious which dealer?

I saw a Youtube dyno run and the GS dyno'd at 128hp and 96 ft. lbs at the wheel! So if that's true, BMWs numbers are significantly understated.

Another thought on the power....how much of it is simply throttle mapping do you think? The last part of the throttle turn feels pretty dead to me. I guess it also feels fast because the engine spins up so much faster than the camhead that you are in the meat of the torque curve much sooner???
I doubt any brand UNDERstates power (although some fans of some brands say they do).

If you see the site that did the dyno on the new GS and check graphs of other machines, you'll see all seem a bit more than expected. They probably calibrate it to estimate engine power (and seems WC GS shaft does a bit better job transferring power than previous version). Else doesn't make sense. 128HP at the wheel easily means close to 140HP engine power. Really doubt that.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #7317
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
I paid a deposit the day after the press release, ordered by detail the day that was possible, was told my bike was built the first week in January, now am told it is "in route to warehouse". I called BMW to ask them to define that, they could not. What warehouse? They don't know. Where was the alleged bike physically located? They don't know. BMW seems committed to generating bad will and they are succeeding quite well. I have bought 4 new BMW cars and one new BMW motorcycle. I will never have another good thing to say about BMW. Period.
While I don't understand your reasoning to come to this statement (I mean: at all), I won't bother discussing that. Someone could say "I hate BMW because I don't like the OEM tires they choose for their vehicles" or any reason that someone finds important and someone else can find stupid.
I just want to say that your statement should go along with "not buying BMW" right? I assume you canceled your order, right?

Let us know if you don't follow this as you let us know about your current "decision".

Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #7318
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks for sharing your report.
Some of your comments totally disagree with feedback from other people (some even contrast my own feedback on Tiger 800 - but yours is customized to you) and given your previous posts on this thread, well takes a bit of their objectivity.
I mean ok the differences you felt with your Tiger (objective or subjective), but you even commented on (quite a few) things actually worse than previous GS that I don't think anybody else reported (which is weird as most people here HAVE the previous GS).

Anyway, good read.

It is great that you already have the bike you want.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #7319
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Going by the video the alternator is pretty much bomb proof. There are no brushes to wear so the only part that could go wrong are the coils. Pretty unlikely event IMHO although not impossible for sure. The old style alternator is far more likely to fail and very often does usually due to bearing failure because it is so exposed. The regulation might well be the same as modern cars where it is controlled by one of the computers. Only downside to that is you can't charge a flat battery via the alternator. That said the only real advantage is better fuel economy.
Definitely not a minus point to buying one of these especially when you look at the massive cost of clutch replacement which no longer applies.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #7320
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I doubt any brand UNDERstates power (although some fans of some brands say they do).

If you see the site that did the dyno on the new GS and check graphs of other machines, you'll see all seem a bit more than expected. They probably calibrate it to estimate engine power (and seems WC GS shaft does a bit better job transferring power than previous version). Else doesn't make sense. 128HP at the wheel easily means close to 140HP engine power. Really doubt that.
Some brands used to do that.If the official HP is lower the cars land in a different tax band here (and in other countries). I for one don't care for power on paper. But what that power does. My 100KW car beats my brothers 110KW car (same size and weight).
On the other hand... When lexus came out with their diesel here people complained it was to slow for 177hp. A magazine tested it and it reported 149hp. That false manufacterers claim costed the owners 1250 euro's in taxes (the additional tax for 177hp compared to 150 hp).

But usually power is lower than reported.

Although my BMW F800 model is known to have about 10% more power than reported in many cases.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote