Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7366
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Regarding non-owners: they can't drop $20k on this bike OR they dropped a similar amount to something else - that alone makes the experience much worse ...
Definitely true. Although I think that owners of bikes other than the current GS will have a different perspective on some of the quirks that are just normal for a GS, like the vague front feeling which I got totally used to within a few hundred miles, but now getting on it after riding with a conventional fork for a year it felt weird.

And regarding money: sure, I could buy one, cash if I wanted to, but I just try not not change my bikes more often than every 18 to 24 months. My track record on that isn't very good though ... Average right now is about 14 months ...

Quote:
Anyway after reading middlepatent's review, seems that the bad reviews seem to pile up after a pack of good reviews. Pretty weird distribution (also that most bad reviews come from people with few posts, I dunno how this correlates though).
Hmmm. That could mean that because you have 2/3 the # of posts compared to me you are 30% less likely to be correct! I like that logic!

And don't take my "initial impressions" (it wasn't a review, not enough time on the bike for one) as a negative review. It just said that I personally was way less impressed with the bike than I expected to be. I was so un-impressed that it didn't trigger my natural "want" instinct. Which happens rarely when I ride new and really nice motorcycles ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7367
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, really looking forward to other people impressions, especially after there was so much hype created. Also looking forward to a longer test ride where I can explore some more of the features and especially DESA.
I like that you gave an honest review, Cug, and didn't feed into the fan boy mania that this thread pretty much is about. I don't necessarily agree with you on the some of the points you made, but I think it's good you make the points, as not every bike is suited for everyone. Personally, the hype in this thread did live up to my expectations, and the bike was everything I wanted and more when I test rode it. I'm also coming from a 2005 GS, so it's a pretty stark difference.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #7368
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepatent View Post
2010-2012 GS are the everything this class requires.
Which you just so happen to own. BMW have obviously COMPLETELY wasted their time and money bringing out this new bike in your opinion We're all different, and it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, but REALLY? Each to their own I guess.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #7369
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Hmmm. That could mean that because you have 2/3 the # of posts compared to me you are 30% less likely to be correct! I like that logic!
No I didn't correlate one to the other. I just made an observation.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #7370
cug
--

Quote:
No I didn't correlate one to the other. I just made an observation.
Ah, come on, it's obvious ...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #7371
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Which you just so happen to own. BMW have obviously COMPLETELY wasted their time and money bringing out this new bike in your opinion We're all different, and it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, but REALLY? Each to their own I guess.
I said it above (inverting cug's comment): "Regarding non-owners: they can't drop $20k on this bike OR they dropped a similar amount to something else - that alone makes the experience much worse ..."
(a comment *I* don't fit in, because I find the bike great even though I cannot currently -possibly ever with the crisis- afford it)

One reminder more (also posted before in this very thread): When 2004 1200GS came out, a bunch of 1150GS owners reacted exactly (but EXACTLY) the same, with bit different arguments though... but still a generic "I don't like this, I don't like that" ("but but... that specific X thing is obviously better", "no it is not"). I remember the same before that too... you may have guessed it, when R1150GS came out from R1100GS owners. I am sure it happened before that but I was too young to remember (was riding different brand bikes also).

Anyway, good we all have choice, ain't it?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #7372
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Ah, come on, it's obvious ...
No, honestly I didn't mean to explain it in a specific way.
After all YOU don't fit in my observation you said it yourself.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #7373
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Anyway, good we all have choice, ain't it?
It keeps the market competitive, which is always a good thing. Seems that Cug prefers the Triumph Tiger at the moment, nothin wrong with that!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #7374
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I like that you gave an honest review, Cug, and didn't feed into the fan boy mania that this thread pretty much is about.
Thanks. I did my best to express just the impressions I had. It was not meant as a "review" or absolute truths or anything. These were my personal impressions on the bike I was soooooooo waiting for. Maybe it really was me being away for a year from the standard GS handling that I wasn't so happy with it. Had I ridden the new GS right after my 2010, I might have seen a lot of things differently (drive line, transmission, vague front, ...) and could have concentrated on the things that really didn't feel right and find out WHY they didn't feel right.

I really hope I can get a DESA GS for a few hours some time later this year and I'll make sure to post that here, too. Positive or negative doesn't matter. It could be a "yeah, now that I had more time on it, I bought one" or "I still didn't like it as much as I expected". I honestly don't know. It could totally go either way.

One thing I really know about the GS: it's an acquired taste. You have to ride for a while to get used to its unique handling and behavior. Just coming from a technically completely different bike isn't doing it justice because there is too much of the "compared to what I'm used to" feeling.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #7375
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Even if one goes around a corner a bit quicker I love how BMW executes the details.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #7376
cug
--

Agreed. The Tiger instruments aren't up to par with the GS. They are even missing a switch on the handlebar to change between the various info settings. Annoys me a lot when on long, boring highway stretches ...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #7377
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Does anyone know if the navigation mount plate can be easily unplugged and removed? Can anyone confirm that it blocks the view of the top of the tach?
Confirmed that the mount with GPS on, does block partial view of the tach, mostly from the top. This was confirmed by my visual inspection and Stephan from One World One GS when I asked him. He said, he hardly looked down, but yes it would block, above 3,000 RPMS. When standing and albeit standing forward, you don't even look down only concentrating what's ahead of you.

Here's the pic that TallGuy posted, for illustration, the shadow of the GPS onto the tach, is basically what gets blocked IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post

Montauk screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 03:49 PM
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #7378
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Agreed. The Tiger instruments aren't up to par with the GS. They are even missing a switch on the handlebar to change between the various info settings. Annoys me a lot when on long, boring highway stretches ...
I think even the Super Ténéré could be the "better motorcycle" for a lot of riders, only it's not for me.
The only thing real unique GS is the boxer engine and surprisingly Triumph didn't copy that concept yet
Who will? Some yet unknown Chinese company? Probably.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #7379
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Who will? Some yet unknown Chinese company? Probably.
Are you asking for an Ural GS?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #7380
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Are you asking for an Ural GS?
Oh, forgot about that one, that's basically a BMW so doesn't count.