User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #7771
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Question new threads?

I wonder if it isn't time now to consider opening up new threads on the 2013 LC GS. Perhaps threads on farkles, suspension, tires, etc... What say you, moderators?
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #7772
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodja View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to make up my mind between '13 and "old" '12 GS and I would like you to help me decide.

Here is the thing. I never owned BMW. Rode friends '06 1200 GS on few occasions (total 200-300km) and I liked the bike very much. Currently I have '09 Triumph Tiger 1050 (never missed a beat) which I'm selling to buy new bike. Initial idea was Explorer but recently I changed my mind and decided to "risk it" and go with BMW.

Long story short, now I have two choices (after Tiger is sold). First to buy '12 Rallye with 17.000 km on it and fully equipped or just to go for the new model. Price vise, difference is 2-3K EUR which I could handle. What do you suggest, should I go with '12 and why (one of the reasons in my head is that we are talking about machine which was tested for 8 years (2004-2012)) or should I just bite it and go for the new one?

What do you think?
First of all you are going to have a lot of fun either way. Both bikes are awesome and they will be able to provide you with some outstanding riding for many years.

I doesn't seam that you are too concern about being first with the latest toy otherwise you would never had considered the '12. However, think through the scenario where you buy the '12 and then you see the new '13 model on the road again and again. Are you going to regret that you got the old one or won't it matter at all?

When you read through the thread then you can see that there are a lot of people that are not comfortable with the fact that there may be small or big issues with a new model. If this also concerns you then go with the '12. However, there is no guarantee that you won't have any issues with the '12.

I am not going to go through all the technical differences or how both bikes handle. You have plenty of that in this thread.

In any case you will have to take both bikes for a test ride. You are considering a used '12 against a brand new '13. Don't underestimate the joy of getting a brand new bike

I know what I would choose but then again that is me, and I have both bikes: the '12 and the '13.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #7773
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
Took out the Demo R1200GS today, the steering is very lite almost too lite.

Thats's because as we all know what BMW really were focusing on all along is the upcoming new "GS Super Adventure". The radiators will integrate nicely and the "too light" steering will feel just right on the GS SA with its slightly heavier front bias.
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #7774
djodja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
First of all you are going to have a lot of fun either way. Both bikes are awesome and they will be able to provide you with some outstanding riding for many years.

I doesn't seam that you are too concern about being first with the latest toy otherwise you would never had considered the '12. However, think through the scenario where you buy the '12 and then you see the new '13 model on the road again and again. Are you going to regret that you got the old one or won't it matter at all?

When you read through the thread then you can see that there are a lot of people that are not comfortable with the fact that there may be small or big issues with a new model. If this also concerns you then go with the '12. However, there is no guarantee that you won't have any issues with the '12.

I am not going to go through all the technical differences or how both bikes handle. You have plenty of that in this thread.

In any case you will have to take both bikes for a test ride. You are considering a used '12 against a brand new '13. Don't underestimate the joy of getting a brand new bike

I know what I would choose but then again that is me, and I have both bikes: the '12 and the '13.

Max,

Thanks for your answer. All valid points, but still I would like to hear what would you get and why?

Thanks mate.
Regards,
Djordje.
djodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #7775
tau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Front shock absorber adjustability

Comparing with the previous model(s), the non ESA present one has non adjustable front shock absorber.
Is there any (special) reason for that? What do you guys, think about it?

Is the new installed Sachs shock absorber more efficient / better then previous Showa / WP?
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #7776
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Comparing with the previous model(s), the non ESA present one has non adjustable front shock absorber.
Is there any (special) reason for that? What do you guys, think about it?

Is the new installed Sachs shock absorber more efficient / better then previous Showa / WP?

Hey Guys..... In the realm of Shocks aren't Sachs, Ohlins, and Wilbers at the TOP?????? Seems like I read somewhere that Sachs are top shelf for sure....YES/NO?
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #7777
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 199
I have been searching back through the 5oo plus pages trying to find that segment about that small light under the main headlight, I notice its on some units with LED and some its not, is it a European requirement? Canadian? At my local dealer he has on display the regular halogen headlight but the hole under it is empty. He said it's for ventilation but I know it's for a light.

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #7778
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Hey Guys..... In the realm of Shocks aren't Sachs, Ohlins, and Wilbers at the TOP?????? Seems like I read somewhere that Sachs are top shelf for sure....YES/NO?
AFAIK from the usage on racetracks top notch in Europe is ohlins, K-Tech (spec. For BMW s1000rr), Kayaba and Mupo.

Because MUPO is a smaller (Italian) company, they gladly make their suspension tailor fitted for you.
Give them your riding style, your weight, length, and what tires you ride, and within a month you'll get your shocks, etc delivered at your preferred dealer.

On my trackbike I ride with these personalised Mupo setup, and the difference is truly amazing.
Price settings are comparable to Ohlins.

Buying a top notch brand is one thing, having a personalised setup is another
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #7779
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
I have been searching back through the 5oo plus pages trying to find that segment about that small light under the main headlight, I notice its on some units with LED and some its not, is it a European requirement? Canadian? At my local dealer he has on display the regular halogen headlight but the hole under it is empty. He said it's for ventilation but I know it's for a light.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post21010369
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #7780
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
That spot is for a DRL (LED module) in combination with regular H7 headlight assemblies but not for USA/Canada.
I don't see any benefit in this to be honest, I'd much rather forget about it and ride with low-beams on during the day anyways. That small DRL module is a step back for riders safety if you ask me, I don't envy the Europeans in that regard.

To illustrate this:

vs. my 2010 with additional ADV Monster dimmed LED's. Way better daylight visibility I'd say.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 02:21 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #7781
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
Dynamic ESA,
I never had much faith in the electronic suspension thing. Had ESA on a 2008 GS and hated it. On that bike they just made the cheap crappy suspension adjustable on the fly, it was still cheap and crappy though.

I have a full Öhlins setup on my 2006 GS that I have been very happy with. Was disappointed that all bikes here in Japan came with the Dynamic ESA.

But

The new ESA is nothing like the old, it really works! I did need to put the preload on rider+luggage to handle my 110kg's of Swedish flab.
Played around with different modes and found the Dynamic mode to work best for aggressive riding in the twisties and the Road setting with the suspension set to soft worked well on the highway to filter out the road vibrations.

When ridden fast the suspension feels just like a high quality well setup set of aftermrket shocks. Everything is kept under control and didn't give me any surprises. When the bike isn't moving it the damping feels very soft when jumping on the seat.
On the old bike I sometimes had issues with hard braking into bumpy hairpins. The front wheel ABS would be triggered and the brakes would be released for a split second.
This is not the case on the new GS. I think the newer generation ABS together with the suspension keep everything better under control. Even on rippled roads I could brake hard enough to have the tires chirping front and rear without feeling any intervention from the ABS.
Now I only worry about the longevity of this complex system.
Best review I've seen yet on the Dynamic ESA. Like you I was never a fan of the old ESA. Love your description on the older model ESA of "adjustable crap is still crap". Sounds like Sachs has done much better with the new Dynamic ESA.

Can't wait to hear some real world reviews of the Dynamic off road. Although you new owners have to be careful, as if you cut or damage one of your tires, there are none to replace right now. The supply of tires just hasn't caught up yet.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #7782
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Max,

Thanks for your answer. All valid points, but still I would like to hear what would you get and why?

Thanks mate.
Regards,
Djordje.
I will go for the '13 1200GS LC. Why?

The main intention for BMW Motorrad was to make a new GS that was more versatile and easier to ride for more riders in a wider range of applications. They have done well. The former 1200GS was easy to ride and the new 1200GS LC is just even easier to ride, on-road and off-road.

You have to choose the dynamic ESA for the new 1200GS LC in order to harvest the true upgrade to dynamics and versatility. The engine is upgraded in many ways as you already know but I think that you can sum it all up to: smooth, powerful and more torque through out.

Gearbox is better, clutch is better, breaks are better and there are a lot of small details that you may find welcome like the optional integration to the GPS.

The former air/oil-cooled 1200GS is just as good today as it was a year ago but the new water-cooled 1200GS is just better in so many ways.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #7783
Scottishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
New vs Old

I bought a 2012 Rallye and love it. When the new one came out, I thought about for a while, and decided to stay with the 2012. I am going to South America for 2 months this fall, and wanted the reliability and parts availability of the old model. But if you will be doing short trips in North America or Europe, I would buy the 2013.
The bike is faster, handles better, has a ton more worthwhile features. The only thing I don't like is that most of the stuff I bought for my 2012 will not fit on the new bike. But that is part of the BMW mktg plan, isn't it.

I was just at Rawhyde Adventure School and loved it. Spent a few days with one of the guys that went to the BMW launch in S Africa. Much of my thoughts came from his experiences. I will likely buy a new Adventure when it comes out.
2014 BMW GSA 1200
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 2012 Porsche Boxster S Black Edition
Scottishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #7784
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
All three options:

LED

Halogen with daytime running light

Halogen

Source: BMW Motorrad Press Kit

Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #7785
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Max,

Thanks mate.
Regards,
Djordje.
Most here would go for the new model, but main reason is that most here already have the "old" model. So this is not an answer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Sachs is definitely good brand, but Ohlins and Wilbers (and Kayaba - although more car oriented I'd say) I think were supposed to be "better". WP is right up there too. Where Sachs seems to be doing well nowadays is in using new technology for their benefit. Whereas most others seem to rely on their good name and undeniably great craftmanship.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote