Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #7951
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
I and others I know are concerned about the same thing. Since I am the one who is going to rebuild my local group's shocks when they are worn I revisited the LC-GS last week at the local dealer and took a look at the DDS shocks a little more closely. I inspected the rear shock and it, indeed, looks like it can be disassembled for repairs. The rear shock even appears to have a bleed port on the reservoir from which to evacuate any air from the oil. That's encouraging. The older ESA shocks required more finesse.

I suspect these shocks are constructed more simply than the passive suspension shocks they replace since they rely less on intricate mechanical valving and more on an internal solenoid that is software controlled. So far, I think these shocks will be easier to refresh if the shaft seals are a common size or if Sachs will sell seal head parts.
Do you remember which shocks were not rebuildable?
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #7952
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
I and others I know are concerned about the same thing. Since I am the one who is going to rebuild my local group's shocks when they are worn I revisited the LC-GS last week at the local dealer and took a look at the DDS shocks a little more closely. I inspected the rear shock and it, indeed, looks like it can be disassembled for repairs. The rear shock even appears to have a bleed port on the reservoir from which to evacuate any air from the oil. That's encouraging. The older ESA shocks required more finesse.

I suspect these shocks are constructed more simply than the passive suspension shocks they replace since they rely less on intricate mechanical valving and more on an internal solenoid that is software controlled. So far, I think these shocks will be easier to refresh if the shaft seals are a common size or if Sachs will sell seal head parts.
Good info!
I am also very interested in getting other springs. If the new ESA system is rebuild able and can be sprung for my weight it would be really good it think.

I also agree that the active suspension hardware must be simpler than conventional valve stacks...the intelligence is now electronic instead of mechanical.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #7953
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
battery compartment

Installed a second power port last night. Anyone else notice the piece of styrofoam filler in the battery compartment? Any idea why this would be this way.... Is there another battery out there that's taller?

Also, I'm sure it's a low, low priority but an after market battery cover panel attachment dealio would be cool. I felt like I was playing a 1970's "operation" game getting it back on without pushing out the rubber gromets. User error and familiarity I'm sure but that means at least 1 customer.

Can't help but to comment on the suspension topic. Seems no one is wrong (except for some assumptions about others) but my personal experience in adjusting shocks does make me prefer the new system. I always had to adjust shocks for the bumpiest section of surface I would encounter (Road bikes, dirt bikes, and track specific) and no more. The comprimise would be an over compliant suspension on surfaces less bumpy. Over simplification- probably, as i don't pretend to be a suspension guru. Now, and espcially with a gs concept bike, it's nice to take advantage of surface specific settings on the fly. My experience so far is very, very positive; for me it meets all expectations and then some (read suits fast smooth twisties well then bam, sail over gravel road and ripples with planted confidence). If I ever get another track bike- sure, I'll adjust to the roughest corner to more precision... I just don't see the need for this beast but certainly understand why others would.

Who's got some first hand experience programming the enduro pro plug? Who has some first hand experience having some fun on the road with the enduro pro plug? C'mon, I know you're out there!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #7954
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Do you remember which shocks were not rebuildable?
No. I am not sure. I just checked my stock Showas (2011 GS) and they appear to have removable tube caps. The complexity is in releaving the nitrogen gas pressure and whether they are DeCarbon or emulsion type shocks. In either case, a schraeder valve must be installed to repressurize the shocks in the absence of using industrial machinery. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

They key to identifying non-rebuildable shocks is evident by the fact that the tube caps are welded in place. Look at cheap car shocks for an example. In reality, they can be rebuilt, too. It just takes a LOT more effort to cut off the cap and find a way to reafix it. That's just something I have not gotten into. The other possibility would be to drill the body, evacuate the fluid and refill/repressurize the shock through the small drilling. Again, not something I've cared to do since some of these types of shocks have used freon bladders for their internal pressure. Too darned much trouble for me to care.

Clear as mud, right?

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #7955
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
Good info!
I am also very interested in getting other springs. If the new ESA system is rebuild able and can be sprung for my weight it would be really good it think.

I also agree that the active suspension hardware must be simpler than conventional valve stacks...the intelligence is now electronic instead of mechanical.
It's my opinion that you could create a problem that will be caused by mismatching the spring rate to the damping invoked by the software. I just caution against radical spring rate changes.

However, this sounds like a worthy experiment. Come on over and we can work this out. I think you'll have to put some paddle tires on your bike, though, to get here.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #7956
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Just got her home. Great ride, new fly by wire throttle is touchy in dynamic mode.
Nice
Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #7957
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Nice
Congratulations!
I second that. So how is the throttle in ROAD mode? On my test ride on a bike without modes, I thought it was overly sensitive and difficult to modulate. I can only assume they would use a middle of the road setting for a bike with no modes...but perhaps not.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #7958
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
It's my opinion that you could create a problem that will be caused by mismatching the spring rate to the damping invoked by the software. I just caution against radical spring rate changes.

However, this sounds like a worthy experiment. Come on over and we can work this out. I think you'll have to put some paddle tires on your bike, though, to get here.
My thinking was that the adaptable damping would self adjust to a change in spring rate. Not talking about radical changes here, would just be nice to reach the correct sag levels without having the suspension set for rider+luggage.

I wonder if the different ride mode includes separate damping settings beyond the soft,normal and hard settings?
Would love to find a deeper technical description of this system.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #7959
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
Who's got some first hand experience programming the enduro pro plug? Who has some first hand experience having some fun on the road with the enduro pro plug? C'mon, I know you're out there!!
I have my plug and it's installed. It really doesn't do much though on the road. I still have stock tires so I haven't even toggled over to enduro pro mode yet to play with it. As for the road, it does save settings (namely the hard or soft settings) over the default setting but it's not really that big of a deal.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #7960
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
enduro pro....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I have my plug and it's installed. It really doesn't do much though on the road. I still have stock tires so I haven't even toggled over to enduro pro mode yet to play with it. As for the road, it does save settings (namely the hard or soft settings) over the default setting but it's not really that big of a deal.
Hmm. Thanks for the response- I am curious about driving with the epro toggled on with road rubber- just for the fun of it. Though maybe you get a similar same by simply shutting down abs, traction control, selecting dynamic? Just hijinks I suppose... but Saving preferred settings sounds convenient too.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #7961
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
. Hay Shorty, this probably a dump question, considering, but is that a low seat?
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #7962
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Umm, I think he was asking about the auxiliary lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Is it worth it? I think that you can find a lot of arguments for that LED headlight will be more visible in daylight. If this means that you just one time will be saved from some old lady turning right out in from of you then the LED headlight may have saved your life. Then it is worth it. Does it make your night riding more safe? Well, only a thorough and factorial test will show that. I have not yet seen any such tests. One of the German motorcycle magazines will most likely do a test of the LED headlight in the near future.

I don't do a lot of night riding but I have still chosen the LED headlight and this only because I believe that it will have a positive effect on my safety and I have also chosen the additional LED lights to support this argument.

I might be wrong. If the old lady is blind then it may not matter if you light up your GS with a 5 mega watt headlight

Max :-)
I'd say definitely YES, no matter if LED or conventional. During the day a light triangle composed of main headlight plus lower aux lights works well.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #7963
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderboulder View Post
It's well built, sturdy, and fits the tank very well. Also, easy to move aside for adding gas. There's enough room for a small APS-C camera, or mirror-less like Fuji X-pro1 or Leica.
Thank you. At 8 liters in size (8,000 cc or about 25 cm x 20 cm x 16 cm) it should hold a bit more than that. I'm looking to store a liter of water, the other gloves, a wool cap, small binoculars, a compass, a small P&S camera, and other very small misc items. The real camera gear (7D and a X100) live in a tail bag.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #7964
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
Hmm. Thanks for the response- I am curious about driving with the epro toggled on with road rubber- just for the fun of it. Though maybe you get a similar same by simply shutting down abs, traction control, selecting dynamic? Just hijinks I suppose... but Saving preferred settings sounds convenient too.
Well, as I stated already I have tried enduro pro yet, but I don't see much benefit on pavement with road rubber. Dynamic mode would be more aggressive on the pavement. The big difference is ABS being shut off to the rear wheel. As for the traction conrol, other than for wheelies, it wouldn't really be kicking in anyway.

The saving the settings is kind of nice, but the reality is it only takes about 2 seconds to switch the suspension settings and to shut off ABS and ASC so unless you prefer them off all the time I don't see a huge benefit there. The only real time I want to kill ASC is when I plan on being a bit of a hooligan. ABS, I really never shut it off on my old GS, and this one kicks in far less than he old model so I doubt I'll even have a reason to shut it off.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #7965
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Motorrad 2012 vs 2013 R1200GS ride comparison now online

Motorrad has posted online an article comparing the waterboxer with the 2012 GS, reporting on a side-by-side ride and various performance and static measurements.

Article begins here, with the ride report. For those who do not read German, Google Translate will help.

There is a measurements page here, which includes dyno curves.

A couple of interesting results:

- measured full-tank weights old and new were identical at 246kg (542lbs).

- the new model was quicker in all single-gear roll-on acceleration tests (e.g. 100-140km/h 3.8 sec v 4.2 sec).

- fuel economy was slightly better on the new model (by 0.2L/100km or US 2mpg).