Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #8026
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Here is a video from Hechlingen Enduro Park where the guys are getting familiar with gravel and the new 1200GS LC. If you look at the video you will notice that all the new 1200GS LC are fitted with Metzeler Tourance Next tires. It seams that even the people in Hechlingen have not been able to get the new knobbies from Metzeler. My tire supplier has just changed the expected delivery date for the new Metzeler Karoo 3 from mid April to July 1st. This is not good news.

Has anybody been able to get a set of Metzeler Karoo 3 or other knobbies for the new 1200GS LC?

Max :-)

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #8027
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
EJ, that's not the point. I've been following this thread for several hundred pages now, sharing all the findings and gossip. This thread got me to order one.

I'm just laughing about the depth of the analysis of every single detail here and people being worried about one of the radiators being warmer than the other.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #8028
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
EJ, that's not the point. I've been following this thread for several hundred pages now, sharing all the findings and gossip. This thread got me to order one.

I'm just laughing about the depth of the analysis of every single detail here and people being worried about one of the radiators being warmer than the other.
Well, for those of us that live in warmer climates than Norway, the heat coming off the radiator on water cooled bikes can be uncomfortable. It's not an uncommon topic at all in other forums and I think perfectly reasonable for people to wonder if it will be an issue on the new GS, particularly since it has been mentioned in at least two published reviews that I know of. Delusional? I think not.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #8029
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Well, for those of us that live in warmer climates than Norway, the heat coming off the radiator on water cooled bikes can be uncomfortable. It's not an uncommon topic at all in other forums and I think perfectly reasonable for people to wonder if it will be an issue on the new GS, particularly since it has been mentioned in at least two published reviews that I know of. Delusional? I think not.
I think yes. Or rather, overstating facts.

You can see that I live in a RATHER HOT country.

All liquid cooled bikes have (at least) a fan on their radiator and more common than not, the radiator more or less fans the heat in a way that either at speed or stationary (and in bad designs, both at speed and stationary) the hot air partially goes towards a leg. I have used enough LC bikes to know that.

My only air-cooled (OWNED and used enough) bike was my current 07 GS.
The cylinders (or maybe the tubes in front of them) radiate heat on BOTH legs, esp. when you don't wear rider equipment (boots etc.).

I have also felt the heat coming from KTM 950/990 exhausts under the seat.

All cases were nothing major (although I do remember a Honda with REALLY bad fan placement) to have to make that deep analysis.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #8030
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Well, right now heat coming from the radiators seems like a nice thing.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #8031
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
For a report on my 20 minute tryst with water cooled fantasy go here: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33381
Very nice review. Thanks.

(And to EJ - hand guards have been standard equipment on US GS's.)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #8032
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Very nice review. Thanks.

(And to EJ - hand guards have been standard equipment on US GS's.)
You might check your Monroney sheet on that one....my 2011 lists them as a $100 option. Granted, virtually every GS I see has the handguards so I can understand that many assume they are included, but as I said, at least on my 2011 they were an option.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #8033
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
If you look at the dealers, the plain jane demo bikes do not have hand guards. They come with the premium package.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #8034
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
If you look at the dealers, the plain jane demo bikes do not have hand guards. They come with the premium package.
Engine guards are supposed to be standard equipment on LCD GS, how come I didn't see that on the demo bike?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #8035
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I think yes. Or rather, overstating facts.
Totally possible. And a lot of people find things "unbearable" where others just shrug and keep going. I find the seat I have for my Tiger unbearable, my wife thinks they are great ...

Regarding the heat: I noticed a surprising amount of warm air coming to my left knee, actually just under the knee. I was wearing jeans, high boots, knee protectors but those covered the knee only, so there was space between them and the boots.

The Tiger is also said to put hot air on your legs, mainly right side though and in very warm conditions I notice it but it never got annoying for me. That day was fairly moderate (21C, 70F), therefore I was surprised to feel any warm air at all. To be clear - I was just surprised, nothing that bothered me at all and I wouldn't have noticed in my riding pants because the knee protector there is so long that it extends down to about where the boot ends.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #8036
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Engine guards are supposed to be standard equipment on LCD GS, how come I didn't see that on the demo bike?
Say what?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #8037
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Correct....the point that others disagree with me on was related to previous model GS' and if handguards were standard and the answer is no they were not.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #8038
wildy
The Highwayman

Oddometer: 208
Well today I put on another 50 miles and spent another £1150 at the dealers on the BMW navigator IV and the led auxiliary lights. The switch gear for the lights are on back order so have to wait a few weeks until the dealer fits them. The bike is superb and it's nice to finally be able to use the toggle wheel with the sat nav. So far so good. No, so far so epic.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #8039
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Here is a video from Hechlingen Enduro Park where the guys are getting familiar with gravel and the new 1200GS LC. If you look at the video you will notice that all the new 1200GS LC are fitted with Metzeler Tourance Next tires. It seams that even the people in Hechlingen have not been able to get the new knobbies from Metzeler. My tire supplier has just changed the expected delivery date for the new Metzeler Karoo 3 from mid April to July 1st. This is not good news.

Has anybody been able to get a set of Metzeler Karoo 3 or other knobbies for the new 1200GS LC?

Max :-)
July? Ugh. I hope you are not right on that. My tires are just about done and the new Karoo 3 seems like the idea blend for my uses.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #8040
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Definitely a big deal in the warmer climates. I had an old K1100RS that put so damn much heat on your legs in the summer it was almost unbearable in rush hour traffic. It was a well known and well covered problem on the K bike forums and BMW fixed it when they replaced the K11RS with the K12RS. It would be an issue for me when I'm ready to replace my GSA.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote