Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #8146
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Good eye. :) Not many people notice this.

You see one cylinder (the left as you are on the bike) is a bit further to the front than the other. To trick the eye and smoothen the difference, BMW has the fins a bit larger on the two cylinders, each on the opposite side.
AH! I knew they were not perfectly opposed to each other, but never heard of this cooling fin trick. Thanks!
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #8147
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Looked at one at my local dealer today.

I noticed that there is now a powerlet port on the dash. That should be pretty nice.

There's not one next to the seat that I saw, so it appears they just moved it instead of adding one.

I also noticed that the little fin things on the front are covering the edges of the radiators. So they make a bit more sense to me now.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #8148
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Thanks foe the video. Why dows the external temp flash?
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #8149
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Serp: is that the small or the large BMW tank bag?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #8150
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Should be the small. I own the large one for older GS and is almost double than that.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #8151
Oldpeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Thanks foe the video. Why dows the external temp flash?
Because it's 2.5C and it warns that there is a possibility of black ice. I guess. It does that whenever the temperature approaches 0.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #8152
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
It's the small tankbag.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #8153
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
Because it's 2.5C and it warns that there is a possibility of black ice. I guess. It does that whenever the temperature approaches 0.
Mine does that permanently. But that tell more about my region than about the bike.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #8154
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Yet one more 1200GS LC video. No review but at the end of the video you can see the digital readout of the speed in the digital part of the instrument. Nice engine sound at the end.
Max :-)
Wow, great video, nice footage and editing. One of the best LC vidz I have seen and I think I have seen them all, well done. Look forward to more.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #8155
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
Got my 1,000 Km service done today and picked up my tankbag.

I'm very happy with it; I think it's very well made and detaches easily.

Looks good, however, I do prefer the Quick-Lock mount system from SW-Motech (no straps).
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #8156
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Yet one more 1200GS LC video. No review but at the end of the video you can see the digital readout of the speed in the digital part of the instrument. Nice engine sound at the end.

Max :-)
Very nice video!
I'm wondering about those display reflections, does it look worse than it is in the videos?
Digital speed readout: Would be nice if it could switch to the left in the display (free configurable) instead of the gear display. I like the speed to be displayed large but that's only me.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #8157
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 995
Needs someone to create a "dash designer" app. Something which lets you drag and drop display segments until you are happy with the layout, then upload the position files to the on-board ECU.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #8158
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Looks good, however, I do prefer the Quick-Lock mount system from SW-Motech (no straps).
I had the quick-lock system on my 2008 but never liked the "perched" look of that system. I decided to try the BMW tankbag since they came out with the quick connects instead of the zipper system.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #8159
fin reaper
Anything 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 10
Water Boxer Test Ride

Okay, so my 2011 1200GS has only 11k mi, no issues, and reasonably modified with goodies (about 3000 worth), so perish the thought of going to the new water boxer right? I somewhat reluctantly hopped on to test ride one. It looks, feels, and at idle sounds like the outgoing version but once underway and twisting the throttle the similarities are gone.

The moderate stated differences in hp and torque don't begin to tell the story. The engine spools up far more quickly and at about 4500 rpm it kicks up with authority and your butt is forced back into the new and far more comfortable seat. I found myself getting into 6th gear much more quickly than usual and all with a lot more smoothness and a more pleasing sound from the engine. Far less engine braking as well. I couldn't induce a bit of chirp from the rear tire with quick clutch releases. Engine braking is far less forceful but the new binder arrangement scrubs the speed off quickly.

I did notice more of a minor high frequency vibration at the seat that felt more transmission than engine induced.

Handling felt better as well. I negotiated a small twisty course on the test ride route much faster than I normally would and felt like I was even holding back some.

This new model extends the "sport touring" capabilities of this bike in a big way. I'm usually the plod down the freeway at stated limits, conserving fuel and wear type of guy. If I go for the new one, I'll end up left laning at higher speeds more often for sure.

Haven't tested the dirt prowress yet but on the soft stuff my "bike vs rider" capability index is much lower anyway so it's not likely ill be able to discern those differences enough to matter at this point.

Back to the practicality aspect. While I'll take somewhat of a bath selling minke and getting the new one, I won't need to replace the Aprilia Shiver I just sold. Sporting wise it's that good, so ultimately ill end up spending less.
fin reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #8160
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Needs someone to create a "dash designer" app. Something which lets you drag and drop display segments until you are happy with the layout, then upload the position files to the on-board ECU.
Joke or no joke that would be nice.
Currently impossible too.
BMW went for LCD segment display instead of a full LCD (pixel) panel. So we are more or less stuck.
Far cry from 1600GT display (which is full pixel panel and also color). Simpler technology than MS12 and KTM1190 too (yet better though in practice).
I kind of hope that first face-lift in 2-3 years, will bring a similar to 1600GT display to GS.
Progress is unstoppable.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote