Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #8251
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Yeah noticed it too, thought I could be mistaken when I first saw it. I wonder what it means.
You guys are spending way too much time here, get a life/wife!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #8252
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Ride Report on a Demo bike

I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday). It seems somewhat silly that one of the top GS dealers in the US is allocated a Demo without the seemingly important options such as ESA or ASC, not even hand guards. It was absolutely basic. If ABS wasn't standard, it probably wouldn't have been included either. No other options; it is a white one with cast wheels.

The first thing to note is that my current ride is an '05 F650GS, and I have to think there's a few folks out there that are making this kind of a jump so this may be more helpful to you than previous boxer owners. I've spent time on an F800GS, 1200RT and a 1150GS so I have some perspective.

Sitting in the saddle. It feels narrower than the previous models but the weight feels noticeably lower. I had it in the lowest seat setting and with some adjustment I can stand flat-footed. Inseam 34", I'm 5'11". The first thing you'll notice is that the pegs feel a little further back so my natural stance is now altered because the pegs are in the way. Over time I've moved forward and stand in front of them. After throwing a leg over I walked it backward across the flat parking lot. Very easy to maneuver. Jockeying and moving it around (without the engine started) is super easy and it doesn't feel big or intimidating. Moving it around in tight spots was no problem. It just doesn't feel big. Although if I were picking it up off the ground, I'm guessing my story would change. The side stand is in a new position for me so that took some adjustment on my part. Even at the dismount at the dealership when I returned it I had to look down to find it. Not bothersome, just new. Also quite easy to rock back onto the center stand.

Sound. It has the throaty sound you'd expect, and after several hundred miles I keep liking it more and more. It has a really nice tone for a stock pipe and most definitely turns heads. The compression by backing off the throttle produces a sweet deep tone. I'm sure you can get a bit more of a growl for a $1k+ Akra, which I initially considered, but to me probably money better spent elsewhere.

Throttle. A small twist of the throttle and the RPM meter screams upward. If you have any play in your current bike's throttle, this will come as a surprise and it will take time to adjust to the throttle response sensitivity. As I took off out of the parking lot on my maiden voyage, it was a bit of a jerky experience and I'm sure my BMW guy was scratching his head and double-checking my insurance card. It was confirmed that the basic model without ASC is essentially equivalent to the Dynamic mode, so you get the full experience of the new Fly by Wire throttle. It lets you do what you want. So wheelies in 2nd gear at 40 MPH are possible. And confirmed. You will learn to like the response on pavement. Very little real off-road testing so I can't speak to it. But if you ride off-road, you'll probably have ASC and ESA anyway.

Buffeting. I have a Madstad windshield on my current ride and almost zero wind and no buffeting. Its wonderful. This new design allows some buffeting and I will likely purchase a clip-on to complete the job. The width is protective and the newly added winglets keep the wind and rain out of the cockpit and away from the rider. But another couple inches would be great. (Thats what she said.)

Handling. Its surprisingly agile and the front end feels light and nimble through corners. It does not feel like a big bike. Here in Washington state there is a fairly tricky course through a cone field to successfully navigate to earn your motorcycle license. With very little practice this bike can produce a perfect score. It is very sticky on the corners and feels natural in the twisties.

Hitting neutral. Shifting wasn't nearly as clunky as some have mentioned, and so I was expecting more clunk. Never felt a clunk, and I know clunk. Could it be possible to be even more smooth, probably. But it was never an issue. I never missed a gear and hitting neutral from either side was never a problem. I will say that my Sidi Adventure Rain boots may require a tiny height adjustment of the lever to be perfect.

Braking. I would like to see the numbers on 60-0 braking. I'm guessing their impressive. I can't wait to do the testing on dirt.

RPMs, speed, and passing. In first gear at 6k RPM my speed was 40 MPH. In second gear at 6K RPM it was about 60 MPH. I found that interesting. Long first gear. Third gear at 6k RPM is 70, fourth gear is about 85, and fifth is around 95. When passing a car on a two lane highway doing about 40, I used third gear and went from about 40 to 80 in no time, with the front wheel initially wanting to come up. I hit almost 110 MPH in fourth gear. Someone in an earlier post mentioned that this bike consolidates their older GS and their new crotch rocket sport bike. I get that. Which leads me to the next topic. Cruise Control.

Cruise Control. I love cruise control. Love. It saved me and a buddy two speeding tickets yesterday on the interstate. You almost have to use it or you're going 40+ MPH over the speed limit and not know it. It's very easy to engage, it tracks within 1 MPH going up long 7%-ish grades AND going down grades. Tapping it forward or backward goes up/down 1 MPH and works perfectly and effortlessly. Its shocking how easy and beautifully it works. Coming from a throttle lock this will be a slice of heaven on any tarmac stretches. I'm not sure I will ever be able to go back. If you engage it and then accelerate around a car, back off the throttle and it will ease back in and pick up where you left off. And its really really smooth. I did notice that under about 35 MPH there is just a tiny hint of pulsating. Just a hint. You may not even notice it unless you're really looking for it. Probably a software update someday. Its more than a hint under 20. Its like its saying 'this sucks and I'm going to let you know it'. It will actually stay engaged down to 15 MPH; not sure what BMW states as the minimum.

Cockpit. All of the buttons are easy to use, and not much of a learning curve to use without looking down. The turn signal button is precise and effortless. The headlight flasher and high beam trigger, same. The speedometer numbers are a little harder to read at higher speeds but you learn that if the peg is pointing straight up, you should back off soon and resort to cruise control. Tach, no problem. The updated Computer Pro also has a digital speedo and I plan to configure that on my main dashboard. After reading the Rider's manual, the dashboard has a lot going on. I will have to train myself to Ride instead of mess with all the gadgets and buttons. It can be extremely distracting and dangerous. If you look down and start scrolling through all of the screens and then your buddy in front slows down, big problems in River City.

Headlight. This bike has the standard headlight. Of course no LED to compare against. I had the opportunity to ride about an hour at night on a two lane highway and Interstate I-5 in traffic. Very pleased with the amount of light. The top of the low beam projection was a little low, so if it were my bike I'd probably do a slight adjustment. High beam was great and I'd be perfectly happy with it. So I'm really looking forward to the LED on mine… Plus a couple Rigid D2's.

Saddle. After about 250 miles, no issues. It felt really comfortable, but a SaddleSore 1000 would tell a better story.

Handlebars. One of the first adjustments I will have to make when mine arrives. I don't have 'stubs' but I had to stretch forward and it was uncomfortable over time. It turns out that the bars were installed incorrectly and not centered properly, but I still believe risers are necessary. Especially for off-road and a lot of standing.

Gassing up. For those of you with 650's or others with the gas cap on the rear side panel, you will find this bike a treat. No getting off to fill up. Cap is right in front of you. Most of you don't think about it I'm sure, but for me it was notable and worth mentioning.

Standing. Standing up on this bike produces confidence, unfortunately I couldn't test it off-road. With some risers and minor adjustments, along with some Pivot Pegz, I can see standing for long periods. A little less throttle response would also probably help. Hmmm, I wonder what 'Enduro' mode would feel like? Thanks BMW distribution planner.

Rider's skill. With this new LC, the weakest link.

What an effortless machine! Its hard to wipe the smile off everyone that rode it. Now if only mine would show up. The wait is painful. I didn't realize I live on the very opposite side of Earth from Germany. And big price to pay for an LED headlight with spoked wheels.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #8253
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
You guys are spending way too much time here, get a life/wife!
Have a wife, that's why I am here.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #8254
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).
Awesome you got to have it over the weekend, where I am we get 40 minutes. Fwiw, the premium version I tried had everything but cruise.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8255
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).....
Nice review, thanks.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #8256
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Fantastic review. Thanks.
Unbelievable you got the bike for like 3+ days!
It's like 30 min here.

On the other hand TOTALLY stupid for them to have a demo without most new goodies (what are they demoing then and how are they going to sell them?). They will realize how stupid it was, when they'll want to sell their demo too. It will sell cheaper than most used oilheads in their showroom.

Anyway thanks for noting details, like low-speed cruise control (!)... would be nice in parades I guess.

First time I read about non-mode-enabled bike to be on dynamic mode. It explains the reactions we got from some here about throttle response. How did you confirm that? Your dealer verified it somehow?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #8257
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Great news to hear that the standard bike uses the dynamic mapping. That was one of the main reservations I had on my test ride, so knowing that I will have 2 additional 'less touchy' throttle maps to choose from on a fully loaded bike is excellent.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #8258
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Fantastic review. Thanks.
Unbelievable you got the bike for like 3+ days!
It's like 30 min here.

First time I read about non-mode-enabled bike to be on dynamic mode. It explains the reactions we got from some here about throttle response. How did you confirm that? Your dealer verified it somehow?
Yep, dealer confirmed. He said he confirmed it with corporate. Take that for what its worth though, they've been wrong before. Specifically on ESA not being an option with low suspension. But it is probably closest to the Dynamic mode.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #8259
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
500 miles so far

I've BEEN waiting for the 1190 ADV. I was in SantaFe for an appointment a few days ago, riding my 09 GSa, 45k, stopped in the dealer to pick up a part. The dealer had 2 blue GS 1200w, blue, the demo, plain. The other -all the stuff except the 900. headlight. To make a longer story shorter, spending an hour looking at it -the only thing I could find that was carried over from the older GS were the handgrips. The sound of the high speed starter, then the hit of the exhaust was not a GS sound, and made me test ride the plain Jane. WoW. Not like any GS I've owned. The dealer gave me a surprisingly good price for my GSa, and now I have FrauBlu. Sunday, as part of a 300 mile ride, 2-up, I did a 30 mile section of dirt; 126 between Cuba and laCuerva, winter ruts, sand, silt, gravel, some wet. Looking at the Tourance Next, I expected to turn around when I got into the first stretches of surface challenge. Enduro mode > ESA- soft > Dynamic and ASC on, amazing...did I say 2up. Might be better then my old GSa. This is not an evolution of a GS, but a transformation.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #8260
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).
Now...I want one

Awesome perspective, thanks you touched all the points..
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #8261
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona View Post
I've ........my old GSa. This is not an evolution of a GS, but a transformation.
Were you thinking about buying a new WGS or was it so good that it amazed you so much that you had to have it?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #8262
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Interesting video. Czech journalists decided to do something different than usual Maroko/RSA presentations and took the bike on an icy ride in the mountains. They were very impressed how the traction control managed up an icy hill.
Fantastic video. I was gripping my arm rest on the chair as he was climbing up and then coming down. Gorgeous scenery at the top. Heavenly place on earth. Thanks for sharing.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #8263
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
I was patiently waiting for the new KTM 1190. I was also considering the Multi, but the environment that I ride in seemed a bit harsh for the Duc. I would say, first that riding the GSw revealed a truly amazing machine, and I don't usually make statements like that, second- how surprised I was that BMW took just a large leap. Then again, KTM is doing much the same. The Sachs Dynamic Suspension is special, it looks and acts like the same Sachs that the Multi uses.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #8264
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That guy's got bigger balls than me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
You're forgetting one thing, he doesn't own the bike...
Still, you need bigger balls to go up those roads in snow. If BMW Motorrad gave me the bike, I'd still need huge balls to do what he did. Not too far into the snow I'd be flat on the ground with a concussion!
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #8265
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Have a wife, that's why I am here.
Oh, now that I think of it. Same here
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote