Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #8401
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
If, like me, you're worried about stones chipping the front engine cover on your new LC GS's, you need one of these.

There's a guy here in the UK that makes these "crud catchers" for all models of GS, and he's just launched this for the new bike. I have no connection with his company, this is just a great product. He is able to ship to the US as well.

Here's his website if you want to see what else he offers

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #8402
wildy
The Highwayman

Oddometer: 208
I didn't negotiate at all. The salesman told me when I had signed that at the first service all I paid for is parts. I have always had this with all my new bikes.

wildy screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 12:40 PM
wildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #8403
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
If, like me, you're worried about stones chipping the front engine cover on your new LC GS's, you need one of these.

There's a guy here in the UK that makes these "crud catchers" for all models of GS, and he's just launched this for the new bike. I have no connection with his company, this is just a great product. He is able to ship to the US as well.

Here's his website if you want to see what else he offers

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/
Looks great, you could achieve the same effect by simply extending the plastic fender but it would never look as good, that's for sure.
It mounts using extended engine cover bolts? Not sure what could happen when impacting?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #8404
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5IB View Post
After sitting for 3 weeks my GS was finally put on a boat yesterday.
Mine too!
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #8405
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #8406
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 833
The angle of the fender at its bottom seems to preclude adding a fenda extenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Looks great, you could achieve the same effect by simply extending the plastic fender but it would never look as good, that's for sure.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #8407
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
The angle of the fender at its bottom seems to preclude adding a fenda extenda.
Maybe, but this offers much more protection I've had both, and you can hear the small stones pinging against it as you ride!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #8408
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Over here doing your own service work most certainly does not invalidate your warranty unless BMW can prove you botched it and that directly caused the problem in dispute.
I'm not a lawyer, but you guys forget that a "manufacturer warranty" is a voluntary benefit provided by a manufacturer, company etc. and therefor is bound to some terms and conditions you have to stick to.

As far as I know, by law - apart from product liability - there's no obligation for a manufacturer to give a warranty.

BMW Warranty Terms (as found on the Net)

The standard warranty on BMW motorcycles is three years/36,000 miles. This includes manufacturing defects, which are repaired free of charge. The warranty covers BMWs with less than 36,000 miles on the odometer within three years of purchase.

Maintenance

Under the terms of the warranty, BMW requires that all scheduled maintenance be performed on the motorcycle by an authorized dealer.
If the user fails to bring in the motorcycle for an oil change on time and experiences mechanical failure as a result of this, the warranty would not cover the issue. To ensure that original parts are used and the work is performed by properly trained technicians, all work must be performed by an authorized dealer.

Abuse

Like all manufacturers, BMW will not honor warranty claims if the service technician determines that the motorcycle has been abused. Racing will automatically void the warranty as all products in the BMW line have been designed for "road use." Off-roading, too, may void the warranty if the technician determines that the motorcycle has been subjected to extreme conditions.

Extended Coverage

While BMW does not offer extended coverage for its motorcycles in the U.S., you can purchase extended coverage for your BMW motorcycle from an independent repair shop. The coverage can be as long as seven years, and in some cases there is no limit on mileage. An inspection at the shop is required.

Contact

For further questions, contact BMW's customer service at (800) 831-1117 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, or email them at Customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com

If the above Terms and conditions are current, by doing the service work yourself during the warranty period violates the warranty.

The other point is - how do you prove that you did any service work anyway?

You can argue that the same can be said about the authorized dealer (if you've not been there controlling what they did), but even if they actually didn't anything you'll still have the Invoice and the service stamp.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #8409
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
I'm not sure where you cut/pasted this warranty verbage from but warranty terms vary from country to country. For some markets BMW may be allowed to require dealer servicing to maintain the warranty, but not in the US as it is not allowed by consumer law. The actual warranty supplied to US customers does not read like this.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #8410
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Look what followed me home today

From April 13, 2013
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #8411
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post

From April 13, 2013
Niiiiiiice. Congratulations!
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #8412
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post

From April 13, 2013
Woohoo! Looking fwd to your reports. My red with wire wheels will land Mid May in Oz. My first ever GS, feels like the right choice.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #8413
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Woohoo! Looking fwd to your reports. My red with wire wheels will land Mid May in Oz. My first ever GS, feels like the right choice.
Actually I'm being a little bit tricky...I was over at the dealer near closing time and they asked if I wanted to borrow their demo bike until they open again Tuesday morning. Couldn't turn that down! It's a base model, so I still won't be able to see what the ride modes are like, but I'm glad I had a chance to ride it some more as I was having second thoughts prior to riding it home. After a ride through a canyon on the way home, my enthusiasm for the new GS has re-ignited...it's an awesome machine.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 10:17 PM
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #8414
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,663
Some of you guys have very generous dealers. Hope you have an epic test ride planned.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #8415
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Some of you guys have very generous dealers. Hope you have an epic test ride planned.
Yes, I agree, quite generous. I actually want to ride some familiar routes...same as I did today on my camhead so I can get a more direct comparison...also don't want to take advantage by piling on too many miles on the demo bike.