Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #8506
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Got a call from BMW dealer yesterday telling me they got a American spec available if I want it. (Mil sales here in Germany) Seems after I was not interested in buying one that would not be ready for delivery till June they did some calling around Germany.

It has the comfort and dynamic pkg. along with cruise and a silver can. I'm wondering if the BMW GPS is compatable with my XM sat antenna I use with my Zumo 550? I'm not hell bent on buying proprietary GPS units (learned lesson with my Vovlo) but the thumb wheel seems better than reaching up to mess with the zumo while on the go.
Sorry the BMW NavIV is the equivalent of the Zumo 660 and has no XM support at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #8507
GGR
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hyperpro

Just got a call from Hyperpro. They have my bike (GS LC with D-ESA) on loan for a few days to determine how to fit/develop their products (suspension, steering dampers) for it.

After riding it and doing their measurement they had some feedback you guys might find interesting:
  • They mentioned the standard shocks were the best they ever experienced on a GS. Normally these guys are not very impressed with the standard equipment (well, that is their business, you can't blame them) but in this case they thought differently.
  • They drove it, and were very impressed by the handling. Maybe the steering was a bit too light for their taste.
  • They felt Dynamic ESA worked very well. They tested it and the system is fast enough to change the settings of the rear suspension when the front hits a bump.
  • The Dynamic ESA allows replacing the springs. There was a discussion about this a while ago on this forum, but it just meassures the dampening and adjust accordingly. Apparently it doesn't assume anything about the characteristics of the spring itself.
  • But, as could be expected, they had some concerns about the repair-ability of the system. Much more complex, if it breaks you better go to a dealer.
  • The spring of the front suspension cannot be replaced separately, only as a complete unit.
  • A new mounting kit for the steering damper must be designed, as the old one does not fit.

All in all they were very enthusiastic about it, that's always nice to know.
GGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #8508
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Great report from real experts. Thanks.
Fantastic that they were so honest. Really shows their professionalism (they don't need to feed cr*p).

EDIT: Actually now that I think of this, just your report made them #1 choice to at least one possible client. (for their steering dumper and/or for my current GS)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #8509
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
second test ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Sorry the BMW NavIV is the equivalent of the Zumo 660 and has no XM support at all.
That does not surprise me. Great if I get this bike I have a GPS set up for a GPS I wont/cant use. Maybe I can have them take it off and get credit for it.

Test road again for a hour today, got it out on the Autobahn and was doing a nice clip of 110mph with out much wind buffet felt very clean compaired to the head buffet I get on my HD. Even got a little rain; again felt protected. Felt like I was getting pushed around a bit with a strong cross wind but noting that worried me. The test bike I had did not have cruise on it which was a bummer so I did not get to try that out, (one of my big reasons for getting a new bike)

I found some dirt and did 3 miles on gravel double track. Had the bike in Eunduro mode was to big a puss to try the Pro mode as I could just see me laying the bike down. Felt very stable zipping along at 40mph with street tires on.

At speed I noticed a good amount of buzzing in the foot pedals is this normal for a bike like this? Bars will need a set of risers at some point and maybe pulled toward me a bit.

Another thing was the mag tires have the air valve in one of the spokes, so I'm for sure going for the enduro rims.

Im still thinking but the dealer says they will hold it till Monday for me.

Few pics of the bike.

Still feels like a big number...
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot

RuckedUp screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:40 AM
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #8510
GGR
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Great report from real experts. Thanks.
Fantastic that they were so honest. Really shows their professionalism (they don't need to feed cr*p).

EDIT: Actually now that I think of this, just your report made them #1 choice to at least one possible client. (for their steering dumper and/or for my current GS)
They expect to have a damper ready for me in a few weeks time. In the end, that was the reason I contacted them and then I found out they were just 10km from my home.

GGR screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:39 AM
GGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #8511
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
That does not surprise me. Great if I get this bike I have a GPS set up for a GPS I wont/cant use. Maybe I can have them take it off and get credit for it.

Test road again for a hour today, got it out on the Autobahn and was doing a nice clip of 110mph with out much wind buffet felt very clean compaired to the head buffet I get on my HD. Even got a little rain; again felt protected. Felt like I was getting pushed around a bit with a strong cross wind but noting that worried me. The test bike I had did not have cruise on it which was a bummer so I did not get to try that out, (one of my big reasons for getting a new bike)

I found some dirt and did 3 miles on gravel double track. Had the bike in Eunduro mode was to big a puss to try the Pro mode as I could just see me laying the bike down. Felt very stable zipping along at 40mph with street tires on.

At speed I noticed a good amount of buzzing in the foot pedals is this normal for a bike like this? Bars will need a set of risers at some point and maybe pulled toward me a bit.

Another thing was the mag tires have the air valve in one of the spokes, so I'm for sure going for the enduro rims.

Few pics of the bike.

That price is quit a lot cheaper than the regular price. I bought my car on the diplomatic market and that was good for a 30% discount (volvo). For my bike I didn't have the opportunity.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #8512
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
That price is quit a lot cheaper than the regular price. I bought my car on the diplomatic market and that was good for a 30% discount (volvo). For my bike I didn't have the opportunity.
I've purchased a few autos with the mil discount which makes the bike look so much better
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #8513
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
What are the service intervals?

I am sure it is somewhere in these 600 pages but I cannot find it. What are the service intervals on the 2013 R1200GS? I'm probably going to trade my K1600GT on one.

Is the 600 mile just engine oil change, rear drive change and inspections?

Any word on the valves? I'm assuming the heads don't have to be re-torqued?

Thanks.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #8514
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I am sure it is somewhere in these 600 pages but I cannot find it. What are the service intervals on the 2013 R1200GS? I'm probably going to trade my K1600GT on one.

Is the 600 mile just engine oil change, rear drive change and inspections?

Any word on the valves? I'm assuming the heads don't have to be re-torqued?

Thanks.
1. Same.
2. Yes.
3. Correct (AFAIK).
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #8515
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Just talked with the dealer about service intervals.

Oil change is 6k miles. Valves, final drive and spark plugs are 12k.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #8516
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Just talked with the dealer about service intervals.

Oil change is 6k miles. Valves, final drive and spark plugs are 12k.
Is that double than the "old"?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #8517
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that double than the "old"?
The math certainly would seem so. Except for the spark plugs which are half. Go figure.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #8518
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
The math certainly would seem so. Except for the spark plugs which are half. Go figure.
Yes but they are also half aren't they?
(just two)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #8519
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes but they are also half aren't they?
(just two)
Dealer and I did the same joke. Replace them twice as often but there are half as many to buy so its the same cost in the end.

Sparks plugs for those not following...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #8520
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 45,823
Quote:

Few pics of the bike.
*snip pics

Add ~$500USD for the spoke wheels.
And I wish LED headlights was an option without having to go to a package that removes the chrome pipes*.

FWIW-

* Perhaps it's my harley background speaking but IMO chrome looks way better in the long term than the alternative.

PS This is NOT my bike.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:29 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote