Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #8566
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I put my deposit down in January.
Did you order yours with the LED headlight? What was your configuration?

I put my deposit down in early December for a red one with LED and wire rims. I visited my dealer a few days ago and their system is showing that my bike is in a crate waiting to catch a boat out of Germany on 4/23. Arrival in NY is scheduled for 5/6. If all goes well through customs I may see it by the end of May. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take this long.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #8567
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take this long.
Schedule here is a little different; ordered mine (LED etc) after the first of the year and scheduled arrival 5/6. I'm guessing a factor is dealer allocations. I was the first special order at my dealer, and even when I placed the order it was clear it was an April/May deliverable. He's had several standard configs come and go already.

My dealer offered me a gray (vs red) cast wheel (vs spoked) equivalent available now, but I'm holding out for spoked wheels on my order. Besides, snowing like crazy here this morning so no issues holding off a while longer.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #8568
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Got a call from my dealer yesterday when I asked what the production status code was for my bike, as last I had heard it wasn't in production yet and I wasn't expecting delivery until mid-May. He told me that they got a surprise allocation of 3 bikes that were already built and I believe are in country already. I think two of the bikes are fully kitted out with the Premium Plus package (Dynamic + Comfort), wire wheels, and cruise control. One of these is white, so that is going to me, dealer gave me the VIN as well.

The bikes may arrive before the end of next week so I have to get moving on getting my finances and insurance in order before then. Deposit was placed in October immediately after the unveiling so it has been a long wait, especially as I am bikeless currently. Will be nice to enjoy the great spring weather we have been having recently before the heat really hits in a few weeks.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #8569
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Got a call from my dealer yesterday when I asked what the production status code was for my bike, as last I had heard it wasn't in production yet and I wasn't expecting delivery until mid-May. He told me that they got a surprise allocation of 3 bikes that were already built and I believe are in country already. I think two of the bikes are fully kitted out with the Premium Plus package (Dynamic + Comfort), wire wheels, and cruise control. One of these is white, so that is going to me, dealer gave me the VIN as well.

The bikes may arrive before the end of next week so I have to get moving on getting my finances and insurance in order before then. Deposit was placed in October immediately after the unveiling so it has been a long wait, especially as I am bikeless currently. Will be nice to enjoy the great spring weather we have been having recently before the heat really hits in a few weeks.
This is promising ....yet I'm not holding my breath :) as you have been waiting since October... so congrats!!!

I placed my deposit yesterday on the new LC and finally gettng my first bimmer bike in July...supposed to be in the Juny build. So my wait just begins....

N
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #8570
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
This is promising ....yet I'm not holding my breath :) as you have been waiting since October... so congrats!!!

I placed my deposit yesterday on the new LC and finally gettng my first bimmer bike in July...supposed to be in the Juny build. So my wait just begins....

N

Oh oh... A fellow Greek on this forum NLS is getting really jealous right now.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #8571
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
Oh oh... A fellow Greek on this forum NLS is getting really jealous right now.
Oh I am... and already have at least one person I know that got it (in his hands already)... So jealous... I... ...want... ...one...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #8572
paco fernandez
Mexico

Oddometer: 64
https://www.facebook.com/groups/644957278855187/

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #8573
paco fernandez
Mexico

https://www.facebook.com/groups/644957278855187/

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #8574
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
It looks like you've been able to mount the Adventure top case to the new LC...do you know if the current BMW Adventure cases will be able to port over from the 2010-2012 models?

Sorry if this has been discussed already....

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #8575
Slacker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Battery tender cables tend to be rated for a max of 2 amps... or less given that some tenders max out at about 3/4 of an amp. A Battery Tender Plus, for example, is rated for 12v at 1.25 amps. You do not want to pull 6-10 amps through such a cable unless you like melted plastic and the chance of fire under you ass.

Just saying that not all cables with terminals at one end and an SAE connector at the other with a fuse somewhere in line are equal. It may look like a battery tender cable, but it's not.
My Battery Tender wire is 18AWG which is good for >10 amps.

The Tenders certainly charges at a low amperage but they also appear to understand that we use those pigtails for higher amp stuff.
Slacker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #8576
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 590
Water cooled GS finally launched in South Island, New Zealand

Although Jeff Gray BMW, Christchurch were the first dealership in the world to have the new bike on their floor way back in mid December last year at the start of filming for the "One World, One GS" tour, the official launch was last night. Great to see the bike back down under!

P1020484
P1020487
P1020500
P1020513
P1020499

This was the first one way back in December

One World One R1200GS

I GS 1 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 09:37 PM
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #8577
akcirque
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Got my bike!

Picked up my new 2013 R1200 GSW at Ride West BMW in Seattle today! Roman was my sales guy. I’ve been in there kicking tires for, well, literally years. Finally it all came together, the right bike, the right time. Their delivery process was smooth and relaxed even though they were quite busy on a dry spring Saturday afternoon.

After a full intro and demonstration of all the cool whizz bang doodads such as ESA, GPS, ABS, ACS, some other letters combos, Dynamic this, and electronic that, Roman pushed the bike out into the cloudy brightness that makes up a “nice” spring day in the PNW. Thanks Roman, you rock!

He fired it up for me as I donned my coat. The obligatory me-smiling -on-my-cool-new-bike picture was taken. I threw on my helmet, inserted the sunglasses to cut the glare from the clouds, pulled on the gloves, and with two quick blips of the throttle I launched out into traffic on Lake City Way.

Launch was the right word too! That throttle-by-wire business coupled with a healthy right-now torquey bunch of boxer power right off idle sent me flying down the road. Actually had to back down on the throttle or I think the front end would have lifted. Yup, it’s NOT your grandfather’s boxer (or my airhead RT, not that I’m old or anything). Hey, it’s not even my Connie or my Dakar. It ZIPS! No, it won’t beat the squids on the squid bikes but it’ll sure surprise them. Really though, my Concours is quicker AFTER you drop a few gears and point the tach up a lot but not really as impressive down low as the GSW.

Ok, up Lake City Way I went, easily keeping the RPM’s below 6K and variably moving the RPM’s around to break her in right. Moderate to heavy traffic due to the 520 bridge closure made for some artful car dodging. I stopped and rolled back up to city speeds at quite a few traffic lights. In this “city” environment it shoots about with aplomb, both in the throttle department (did I mention it zips)!) and it was a pleasure to dart politely from lane to lane. Stop and go was easy on my brain, on and off throttle transitions and shifting were smooth. I never missed a gear and never thought that I needed more brakes or different brake action. It was nice to be on a brand new bike that was brand new to me in traffic and not have to worry about getting used to it (well, except having to remember to dial down the throttle twists a bit).

It’s a tall bike but that’s what I want in something that may actually go off the pavement now again. I’m just at 6 foot with my boots on and I had the rider’s seat in the high position. It has a High and a Low position. I could get my foot down no problem at lights. It’s a bit of a stretch to the bars. More so than my old RT or my Dakar and lots more than my Concours. The distance to the pegs seemed good and I wasn’t scrunched up while seated. The seat was comfy for the 109 miles I put on it brand new. I was wearing my old BMW Ralley Pro II pants with the Goretex liners installed so I had a bit of padding between me and the seat. I’ll have to ride some longer distances to see how the seat really is but first impression is good. All the controls were at hand and easy to use. The displays for the large amount of information available were clear even with my polarized sunglasses on. The BMW Navigator IV screen was also clear and easy to see. The GPS does slightly block the uppermost portion of the tach. I’ll have to see if the factory GPS mount is adjustable or not. The tach blocking did not bother me. It was just something I noticed.

The Navigator IV GPS was in its mount when I picked up the bike (I had them add it to the sale as the bike does not come with one) (and no I’m not going to discuss the merits and demerits of various GPS’s here as it would be like talking about what oil is the right oil ). Roman showed me how to remove it from the BMW factory cradle and remount it and how it turns on when the bike fires up. The mount uses the ignition key to lock the GPS in! One key for the bags, the same key for the GPS, the same key for the ignition; (one key to rule them all!) I didn’t play with the GPS much except to set it to take me home after I had enough riding in the soon to arrive deluge. Its touch screen worked just dandy with my mid-weight gloves on. It can also be controlled by the wheely thing on the left side of the handle bars but I didn’t use the wheely, only the screen. I have lots to learn with the GPS as well. It’s a Garmin unit with a BMW badge and the screen seemed familiar as I have a Garmin in my truck. Yup, it got drenched and it never whimpered, fogged up, or seemed to even notice the rain.

The manually adjustable windshield was easy to adjust on the go with the nice, low tech knob off to the right side of the screen. Mainly rode with the screen all the way up which put a steady wind blast at the top of my helmet. It’s NOT an RT but for such a small screen it does an amazing job of keeping wind pressure off of the upper torso. The wind hitting my helmet was fairly smooth, mostly non-turbulent air. I’ll probably enjoy the stock shield for quite a while and then when I save up some extra dough buy a bit taller one from Cee Baily, Technik, or such. I did put the shield all the way down a few times after hitting the rain to blow the drops off of the helmet shield which worked splendidly.

I fiddled with the electronic doo dads, er, the ESA, the Ride Modes, and such as I rode but quite frankly just putting it in “ROAD” and setting it for solo riding seemed pretty darn good. I decided that I would like a bit more time on the bike before I could switch modes without taking my brain off of the road for too long. I decided that I didn’t want to look up from fiddling with the controls and find myself closing rapidly on the back of an overloaded landscaper truck and trailer. I did put it in “RAIN” when I managed to ride out from under the gorgeous PNW spring cloud cover and into the ugly spit-in-your-face monsoon rain. “RAIN” seemed to take the edge off of the throttle some and is supposed to activate the ABS and traction control sooner. I didn’t have the chance to find out about either the ABS or the traction control unless they were working so subtly that I didn’t feel them. No, I didn’t try the “Dynamic”, the “Enduro”, or the “Enduro Pro” settings, later for those.

I put 109 miles on the bike ( it had 6 miles on it when I picked up). After leaving Lake City Way a bit north of the dealership I moseyed over to I-5 and headed south. Clear traffic and around the speed limit down to about the U-District then stop and go. Again the bike behaved nicely both at the speed limit and in the stop and go. I cleared Seattle proper and left the heavy traffic behind near Boeing Field. The choppy expansion joints on the freeway were noticeable but not annoying in “ROAD”, “NORMAL”, and “One-UP”. The bike never dived under braking and managed lane changes directly with no fuss. Riding up behind semi’s and passing them were non-events with the bike handling the wind blasts just fine.

I did get to really test the suspension and handling at one point. I had allowed myself to creep up behind a big SUV and was only about two car lengths behind at freeway speed when I looked up and saw a plastic air dam from the lower part of a car bumper diagonally across my path. Too late to swerve (note to self: Do not follow so close!) I throttled up and leaned back and rode over the damn dam. Yes, right over it. It was about 6 inches tall and moderately flexible. The bike and I plowed across and over it and though I felt the hit the bike did not bounce around, buck, or react violently. Hurrah for the suspension! No tire or wheel damage!

Varied the throttle and rowed through the gears to vary the RPM’s for break-in down to Hwy 18 at which time the aforementioned Monsoon appeared and it proceeded to pour. Figuring it to be just a short lived shower I proceeded up Hwy 18 towards I-90 where it just continued to pour and pour down rain. The brand spanky new Metzeler Tourance Next tires on my spoke rims just plowed through the water and didn’t react much at all to the wet road. I was being pretty careful though with the cornering and braking in the wet with the new tires so I didn’t get a chance to really experience the edges much, mainly the center of the tires. All and all the tires were good and produced no weird handling feelings. Definitely a street oriented tread pattern with a teensy bit of off-road capability from the looks of them. Maybe there’ll be some TKC 80’s or such in the bike’s future for better off payment use. On the pavement I’m thinking these stock tires will probably do the job well.

Still comfy in the saddle nearing the 80 mile mark, I set the bike’s sights for home and motored up through the rain along Hwy 203 through Carnation and Duvall. I saw lots of wet yet contented cows, a few alpacas, and some horses that had decided to take shelter in their horse shelters. The GPS correctly directed me home and I rolled up to the garage and shut the bike off. No road spray from the front tire on me and just a tad on the back of the bike from the rear wheel. I opened the garage door and pushed it in with the bike steaming and dripping. Yes, indeedy, a fine new bike!
akcirque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #8578
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Congrats on your new bike. Here's a version of your ride report a little more friendly to older eyes...

- Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcirque View Post
Picked up my new 2013 R1200 GSW at Ride West BMW in Seattle today! Roman was my sales guy. I’ve been in there kicking tires for, well, literally years. Finally it all came together, the right bike, the right time. Their delivery process was smooth and relaxed even though they were quite busy on a dry spring Saturday afternoon.

After a full intro and demonstration of all the cool whizz bang doodads such as ESA, GPS, ABS, ACS, some other letters combos, Dynamic this, and electronic that, Roman pushed the bike out into the cloudy brightness that makes up a “nice” spring day in the PNW. Thanks Roman, you rock!

He fired it up for me as I donned my coat. The obligatory me-smiling -on-my-cool-new-bike picture was taken. I threw on my helmet, inserted the sunglasses to cut the glare from the clouds, pulled on the gloves, and with two quick blips of the throttle I launched out into traffic on Lake City Way.

Launch was the right word too! That throttle-by-wire business coupled with a healthy right-now torquey bunch of boxer power right off idle sent me flying down the road. Actually had to back down on the throttle or I think the front end would have lifted. Yup, it’s NOT your grandfather’s boxer (or my airhead RT, not that I’m old or anything). Hey, it’s not even my Connie or my Dakar. It ZIPS! No, it won’t beat the squids on the squid bikes but it’ll sure surprise them. Really though, my Concours is quicker AFTER you drop a few gears and point the tach up a lot but not really as impressive down low as the GSW.

Ok, up Lake City Way I went, easily keeping the RPM’s below 6K and variably moving the RPM’s around to break her in right. Moderate to heavy traffic due to the 520 bridge closure made for some artful car dodging. I stopped and rolled back up to city speeds at quite a few traffic lights. In this “city” environment it shoots about with aplomb, both in the throttle department (did I mention it zips)!) and it was a pleasure to dart politely from lane to lane. Stop and go was easy on my brain, on and off throttle transitions and shifting were smooth. I never missed a gear and never thought that I needed more brakes or different brake action. It was nice to be on a brand new bike that was brand new to me in traffic and not have to worry about getting used to it (well, except having to remember to dial down the throttle twists a bit).

It’s a tall bike but that’s what I want in something that may actually go off the pavement now again. I’m just at 6 foot with my boots on and I had the rider’s seat in the high position. It has a High and a Low position. I could get my foot down no problem at lights. It’s a bit of a stretch to the bars. More so than my old RT or my Dakar and lots more than my Concours. The distance to the pegs seemed good and I wasn’t scrunched up while seated. The seat was comfy for the 109 miles I put on it brand new. I was wearing my old BMW Ralley Pro II pants with the Goretex liners installed so I had a bit of padding between me and the seat. I’ll have to ride some longer distances to see how the seat really is but first impression is good. All the controls were at hand and easy to use. The displays for the large amount of information available were clear even with my polarized sunglasses on. The BMW Navigator IV screen was also clear and easy to see. The GPS does slightly block the uppermost portion of the tach. I’ll have to see if the factory GPS mount is adjustable or not. The tach blocking did not bother me. It was just something I noticed.

The Navigator IV GPS was in its mount when I picked up the bike (I had them add it to the sale as the bike does not come with one) (and no I’m not going to discuss the merits and demerits of various GPS’s here as it would be like talking about what oil is the right oil ). Roman showed me how to remove it from the BMW factory cradle and remount it and how it turns on when the bike fires up. The mount uses the ignition key to lock the GPS in! One key for the bags, the same key for the GPS, the same key for the ignition; (one key to rule them all!) I didn’t play with the GPS much except to set it to take me home after I had enough riding in the soon to arrive deluge. Its touch screen worked just dandy with my mid-weight gloves on. It can also be controlled by the wheely thing on the left side of the handle bars but I didn’t use the wheely, only the screen. I have lots to learn with the GPS as well. It’s a Garmin unit with a BMW badge and the screen seemed familiar as I have a Garmin in my truck. Yup, it got drenched and it never whimpered, fogged up, or seemed to even notice the rain.

The manually adjustable windshield was easy to adjust on the go with the nice, low tech knob off to the right side of the screen. Mainly rode with the screen all the way up which put a steady wind blast at the top of my helmet. It’s NOT an RT but for such a small screen it does an amazing job of keeping wind pressure off of the upper torso. The wind hitting my helmet was fairly smooth, mostly non-turbulent air. I’ll probably enjoy the stock shield for quite a while and then when I save up some extra dough buy a bit taller one from Cee Baily, Technik, or such. I did put the shield all the way down a few times after hitting the rain to blow the drops off of the helmet shield which worked splendidly.

I fiddled with the electronic doo dads, er, the ESA, the Ride Modes, and such as I rode but quite frankly just putting it in “ROAD” and setting it for solo riding seemed pretty darn good. I decided that I would like a bit more time on the bike before I could switch modes without taking my brain off of the road for too long. I decided that I didn’t want to look up from fiddling with the controls and find myself closing rapidly on the back of an overloaded landscaper truck and trailer. I did put it in “RAIN” when I managed to ride out from under the gorgeous PNW spring cloud cover and into the ugly spit-in-your-face monsoon rain. “RAIN” seemed to take the edge off of the throttle some and is supposed to activate the ABS and traction control sooner. I didn’t have the chance to find out about either the ABS or the traction control unless they were working so subtly that I didn’t feel them. No, I didn’t try the “Dynamic”, the “Enduro”, or the “Enduro Pro” settings, later for those.

I put 109 miles on the bike ( it had 6 miles on it when I picked up). After leaving Lake City Way a bit north of the dealership I moseyed over to I-5 and headed south. Clear traffic and around the speed limit down to about the U-District then stop and go. Again the bike behaved nicely both at the speed limit and in the stop and go. I cleared Seattle proper and left the heavy traffic behind near Boeing Field. The choppy expansion joints on the freeway were noticeable but not annoying in “ROAD”, “NORMAL”, and “One-UP”. The bike never dived under braking and managed lane changes directly with no fuss. Riding up behind semi’s and passing them were non-events with the bike handling the wind blasts just fine.

I did get to really test the suspension and handling at one point. I had allowed myself to creep up behind a big SUV and was only about two car lengths behind at freeway speed when I looked up and saw a plastic air dam from the lower part of a car bumper diagonally across my path. Too late to swerve (note to self: Do not follow so close!) I throttled up and leaned back and rode over the damn dam. Yes, right over it. It was about 6 inches tall and moderately flexible. The bike and I plowed across and over it and though I felt the hit the bike did not bounce around, buck, or react violently. Hurrah for the suspension! No tire or wheel damage!

Varied the throttle and rowed through the gears to vary the RPM’s for break-in down to Hwy 18 at which time the aforementioned Monsoon appeared and it proceeded to pour. Figuring it to be just a short lived shower I proceeded up Hwy 18 towards I-90 where it just continued to pour and pour down rain. The brand spanky new Metzeler Tourance Next tires on my spoke rims just plowed through the water and didn’t react much at all to the wet road. I was being pretty careful though with the cornering and braking in the wet with the new tires so I didn’t get a chance to really experience the edges much, mainly the center of the tires. All and all the tires were good and produced no weird handling feelings. Definitely a street oriented tread pattern with a teensy bit of off-road capability from the looks of them. Maybe there’ll be some TKC 80’s or such in the bike’s future for better off payment use. On the pavement I’m thinking these stock tires will probably do the job well.

Still comfy in the saddle nearing the 80 mile mark, I set the bike’s sights for home and motored up through the rain along Hwy 203 through Carnation and Duvall. I saw lots of wet yet contented cows, a few alpacas, and some horses that had decided to take shelter in their horse shelters. The GPS correctly directed me home and I rolled up to the garage and shut the bike off. No road spray from the front tire on me and just a tad on the back of the bike from the rear wheel. I opened the garage door and pushed it in with the bike steaming and dripping. Yes, indeedy, a fine new bike!
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #8579
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
How are you new owners satisfied with the new F700 style mirror coverage, Iv'e read that some say it's limited compared to the round ones?
A tad less viz but they look and feel like they are from the 21st Century! Maybe standing up on the pegs with the mirror tilted at 45 deg I will miss the oldies but i think not.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #8580
2xrboys
Adventurer

Optional LED lights

Has anyone out there purchased the optional led lights that mount under the beak on each side? I will be adding some leds to my bike and these look like they would be a nice clean installation with OEM mounting bracket,wiring and switch. I am interested to see some pics of the completed installation and opinions on their performance. Thanks
2xrboys is offline   Reply With Quote