Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #8641
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
First of all I didn't see an offroad course. Just some kidding around. I don't think this is the test he did on the bikes. He must have done some tests that they did not show. The video was like a summary thing. Do you have any more video about this test?

That said, do you disagree with his opinion?

Or the point of the post was that this expert did not actually test anything?
Or you question his expertise? (esp. maybe compared to yours)

Finally, if that was the actual test (fooling around in some light dirt for 5 minutes each bike), the indication that expert got, you think is wrong? In other words if the bikes give out a specific "feeling" when ridden on that course, you believe it would change on a longer harder one? Could for example the Triumph be a hidden gem? (very well hidden, very deep only for Indiana Jones to dig out) Or BMW crap? Or something like that?

Sorry just trying to understand what you mean.
I meant just what I said. If you want to see an offroad test done correctly by people who can actually push these bikes hard offroad, watch this. Very much looking forward to Cycle World's offroad comparison of the new GS, KTM and S10.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #8642
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I meant just what I said. If you want to see an offroad test done correctly by people who can actually push these bikes hard offroad, watch this. Very much looking forward to Cycle World's offroad comparison of the new GS, KTM and S10.
So a way better test is running a dust covered flat?
(ain't that what like 98% of the video shows?)
Wow I can do that test easily.

Anyway, I still don't understand what you mean with your first post.
You discredit something? The expert? The test?

If you discredit the expert, you do that, as a bigger expert? Can you enlighten us (in that case) what makes you a bigger expert than him AND give us your opinion? (because in that case, we certainly all want to hear it)

If you discredit the test, not the expert (which test, we actually don't see AFAIK, just some photo opportunities), then the question changes. Do you disagree with the results? Based on what? I mean ok a test is classified by you as bad (based on some unknown analysis on some data we don't actually have - except if you have them), but do you have a better one? And if a test is bad, you believe it gave us wrong results too? You disagree that if a light test shows a trend, this is indeed a trend that will most probably agree with a harder test?

I think my questions are valid.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #8643
NLS
My bike needs washing...

I would certainly like a comparative test of the two-three-(four?-five?) supposed big duals in this:

Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #8644
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,971
Quote:
So a way better test is running a dust covered flat?
(ain't that what like 98% of the video shows?)
Wow I can do that test easily.

Anyway, I still don't understand what you mean with your first post.
You discredit something? The expert? The test?
As I first stated, the MCN video was a joke both in the riding shown and the critique. If you can't tell the difference in the quality of the two reviews, nothing I say further is going to help.

And yes, a comparo test that included terrain like you've posted would be both informative and entertaining.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #8645
CaptMorganism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Just came back from the dealership. Still no boxes or engine bars, and still no info when they will be delivered. Got a free BMW roll bag though (they said that all that wait for the vario cases are entitled to a free roll bag or some other bag).
Same story at my dealer, sans roll bag of course :-(
My bars are on order but I not sure which bags to get. The Varios are not exciting me a great deal.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #8646
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorganism View Post
My bars are on order but I not sure which bags to get. The Varios are not exciting me a great deal.
I got my cases last week.
Still waiting for my tankbag (BMW) and my protection bars and aux lights from Touratech.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #8647
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
I've been pleasantly surprised to see that all of the small bolts holding things on the bike that I've taken off for farkling have been T25s. Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitBike View Post
I was standing in the garage admiring the LC last night :-) and starting to plan for the set of tools that I need to take with me on the big trip. Whereas my previous beemers (specifically, an 1150RT) had a mixture of allen and torx, this one is all torx -- I couldn't find a bolt that isn't. That's good -- fewer tools to carry. But, in the case of breakdown I need to have them all with me, as finding an odd size torx in the middle of nowhere may be difficult. I think that I've got all the standard sizes (T15, T20, T25... up to T50) but I have no idea what size is required to remove the rear wheel. Anyone know what size this is? (And I'm sure that I'll have to special order this; Sears and other local hardware stores only have up to T50 in stock.)
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #8648
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
I've been pleasantly surprised to see that all of the small bolts holding things on the bike that I've taken off for farkling have been T25s. Yeah.
Yes and for Tupperware removal they are all the exact same length except the four that hold the black trim pieces just forward of the rider's seat. Fit and finish is much better than the previous model.
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #8649
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorganism View Post
We had the varios and changed to Zega Pro (without the cutout) bags fro Touratech. Looks good on the GSes. I wondered about the cutout ones, but they are extra money and these can be put on either side. That is, we could buy the biggest one, 45 liter, and put the 38 on the left and leave the 31 in the garage, etc.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #8650
dutch440cid
Degrees Minutes

Oddometer: 15
Just Ride the that Thang!

Just find a dealer and ride a demo. All BMW Motorrad Dealers are supposed to have one. I've ridden the new demo 7 or 8 times in the last 2 weeks and my impression is: This bike has lots of nice ergo and usable features and Cruise is nice. The single biggest deal to me is the throttle response combined with the clutch operation. It is still heavy but the ride by wire makes it much more usable by a person of limited skill and advance age, like myself. The down side is that I have discovered all kinds of things about the air cooled platform that I (now) don't like. I haven't noticed any weird stability issues either, and I have been beating on it.
dutch440cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #8651
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch440cid View Post
The down side is that I have discovered all kinds of things about the air cooled platform that I (now) don't like.
?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #8652
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I am anxioius as a child the night before christmas...

Tomorrow I am picking up my new GS LC. It is a fully loaded Premium package ( whire wheels, LED, all lectronics, etc ) I was number 2 on the waiting list in Brazil, having ordered it the day after the 2012 Intermot launch.

It has been a long 6 months wait but, I am certain, it will be worthwhile.

Will report my impressions as soon as I gain some experience on this bike, my fourth GS.

I would like to thank all that have posted informations, pictures and experiences regarding this GS on this forum. If, on one hand it made dreaming with the new bike great fun it also made me ever more anxious to get it.

Thanks to all,

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #8653
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
I am anxioius as a child the night before christmas...

Tomorrow I am picking up my new GS LC. It is a fully loaded Premium package ( whire wheels, LED, all lectronics, etc ) I was number 2 on the waiting list in Brazil, having ordered it the day after the 2012 Intermot launch.

It has been a long 6 months wait but, I am certain, it will be worthwhile.

Will report my impressions as soon as I gain some experience on this bike, my fourth GS.

I would like to thank all that have posted informations, pictures and experiences regarding this GS on this forum. If, on one hand it made dreaming with the new bike great fun it also made me ever more anxious to get it.

Thanks to all,

Andre
Enjoy your new bike day! I bet you wont get much sleep tonight :-)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #8654
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
?
I can't speak for Dutch, but I noticed this myself. When I had the GSA loaner, it didn't feel quite as stable as my GSW. Even when I demoed the GSW prior to m purchase, I thought the same thing when riding my '07 GS home, but I attributed that to the shocks being worn.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #8655
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch440cid View Post
The down side is that I have discovered all kinds of things about the air cooled platform that I (now) don't like.
Like what specifically?
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote