Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #8746
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
So I went to a local dealer (about an hour away in Lititz, PA) on Friday to ride their demo bike and absolutely loved it! It feels much better/sporty/lighter/comfortable than the Tenere and the Explorer, and I wanted to put $$ down on one as soon as I got back from testing it out. Problem is, that dealer doesn't have any coming in with the options I want (comfort, dynamic, cruise), so called around after I got home and found one that's almost perfect - everything except the color (white instead of Thunder grey). No big deal, so I put money on it right away. It's about and hour and a half away and gets to the dealer in about ten days. I can't wait!

Sorry to see my KLR go, but it's going to a friend so I know it's going to a good home.
I thought I liked the thunder gray the best until I saw one at my dealer today. It looks black to me. I'm glad I got the white. Take whatever color you can get and paint it whatever color you want. There are only two pieces to paint. The center tank plastic and the beak.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #8747
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschulz View Post
well I tried but cant upload a Picture..

You got the upload done just fine. Your linking skills need work.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #8748
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
My bike is supposed to be in this week. I have a red premium plus on order and was going to have them put an akra can on it so I did not order the chrome on the OEM exhaust.

Then I saw the price on the akra ($1330 is what my dealer wants for it) and I choked. I will run around for a while with probably the only premium plus with a stainless (not chromed) OEM exhaust. I'll consider the Remus later as it runs about $900 at my dealer (which is what I thought the akra would come in at).

Still thinking about bags. I don't want the varios. I'm actually thinking of soft bags (Wolfman -- but there are no racks for them as yet). As bags will probably cover up the exhaust pretty much anyway I may just stick with OEM for a while.

However, I do have remus headers (no cat) and an akra can on my '09 R12GS and I like it as it woke the bike up and the cpu adjusted just fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #8749
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode View Post
How is the new engine in terms of oil usage?

My two GSs have required top ups every 1000-1500km until they were around 25-30,000 km.

Is the same with the new one?
little over 3000km and no oil usage.
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #8750
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I like these cylinder head guards. They seem lighter than those that are available and under the TT engine bars more might be over kill. Is there any scuttlebutt on their projected availability?
I don't think they'll ever become available. They are camo equipment. Of course TT may copy this (or maybe they made it).

That said, I also don't see them protecting anything except for little stones (which never where a problem anyway). A plastic guard so close to the cylinder makes sense (because it is soft enough to absorb and deform, but an aluminum guard with no "nerves", so close to cylinder, might be bad).

Quote:

My two GSs have required top ups every 1000-1500km until they were around 25-30,000 km.

What? What kind of GS?
My 07 GS was topped up 3 (THREE) times between services since I bought it 6 years ago. I even know why I burned oil two out of the three times. I've learned to ignore oil level as long as it is (anywhere) "in the circle".
I ride the bike over 5000 RPM most of the time.
I think you guys baby your motorcycle WAY too much.

New GS I don't expect ANY oil burning. It is semi-water-cooled and takes full synthetic oil. I think the days of burnt oil are over (if they were not over already the last few years...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
akra ($1330 is what my dealer wants for it)
Remus later as it runs about $900 at my dealer
Your dealer is VERY expensive I think.
At those prices maybe even a private import is better?

NLS screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 12:25 AM
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #8751
NLS
My bike needs washing...

BTW for BOS fans (if there is any aside myself ), they told me that they of course plan for exhaust system for new GS later this year. Not ready yet.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #8752
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 130
Talking

[QUOTE=atg;21291171]Not only it works perfectly but charges the 660's battery as well !

On my GSW I've swapped the BMW GPS mount for the Zumo 660; not the whole mount just the central part ( with the BMW logo on it ) that that is similar to the one that comes with the Zumo 660

Well I actually plugged a Garmin 660 in today (in Australia) and it fitted straight in to the stock bracket. No modifications required and the locking mechanism works fine. It automatically powers up and charges but needs to be turned off manually - no problems! Brian from GPSOZ helped be out. He even has 1:25 topographical maps that can be uploaded for $200. The controller does not work but you end up with both on road and off road maps for much less than the price of the NAV IV!
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #8753
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
[QUOTE=At adventure;21306302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Not only it works perfectly but charges the 660's battery as well !

On my GSW I've swapped the BMW GPS mount for the Zumo 660; not the whole mount just the central part ( with the BMW logo on it ) that that is similar to the one that comes with the Zumo 660

Well I actually plugged a Garmin 660 in today (in Australia) and it fitted straight in to the stock bracket. No modifications required and the locking mechanism works fine. It automatically powers up and charges but needs to be turned off manually - no problems! Brian from GPSOZ helped be out. He even has 1:25 topographical maps that can be uploaded for $200. The controller does not work but you end up with both on road and off road maps for much less than the price of the NAV IV!

AT Adventure;

If your GPS is using the original GSW BMW mount, wiring and plugs,and apparently it is as you mention that it automatically powers up, than it will also automatically power off.

However, keep in mind that power off occurs only after its power supply is switched off which happens some 30 or so seconds after you switch the bike off.

30 seconds after the bike is switched off you should notice that the GPS, as result of lack of external power, turns its power demand to the internal ZUMO's battery and after a few more seconds it asks you if you want it to continue to run on its own battery. If you don't reply it switches itself off after 30 seconds.

In short, when you switch your bike off and don't do anything else, the GPS will switch off after about a minute. Try it !

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #8754
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
[QUOTE=At adventure;21306302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Not only it works perfectly but charges the 660's battery as well !

Good stuff, told ya!

How much from GPSOZ? I was thinking about dropping into Ryda and picking one up for $527 if they have any left.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #8755
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 58
Love the Led lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xrboys View Post
Has anyone out there purchased the optional led lights that mount under the beak on each side? I will be adding some leds to my bike and these look like they would be a nice clean installation with OEM mounting bracket,wiring and switch. I am interested to see some pics of the completed installation and opinions on their performance. Thanks
Love the Led lights ticking that box is a must.
Mine is White & like the rest I love it & its better looking than the other colors. :)

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #8756
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I thought I liked the thunder gray the best until I saw one at my dealer today. It looks black to me. I'm glad I got the white. Take whatever color you can get and paint it whatever color you want. There are only two pieces to paint. The center tank plastic and the beak.
Good to know - I haven't seen one in person. And I'm with you...just paint or wrap the two pieces that are white.

Thanks!
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #8757
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Good to know - I haven't seen one in person. And I'm with you...just paint or wrap the two pieces that are white.

Thanks!
Yeah 1200GS was always pretty easy to paint.

I'd Photoshop myself a few... Thinking of:

- Dark green
- Dark red
- Dark blue
- Orange
- Carbon fiber (-colored or wrapped)
- Pink with cyan polka dots

(ok maybe not that last one)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #8758
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

Mine used about 150 ml up to the 1000 km service but hasn't used any since up to 4,000 km +.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #8759
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
One last post. I finished reading the articles about the new GS in Bike magazine. I think that is the most comprehensive test I have ever seen on one motorcycle. Well worth the cost of the issue IMO. I read it on my iPad. Interesting was that a lot of the maintenance on the new bike is quicker to do than on the old bike-valves and clutch. Although I have two KTMs at the moment, the new GS is looking more and more interesting.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #8760
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post

Still thinking about bags. I don't want the varios. I'm actually thinking of soft bags (Wolfman -- but there are no racks for them as yet). As bags will probably cover up the exhaust pretty much anyway I may just stick with OEM for a while.
We have side carriers from SW-MOTECH that should work just fine for you. An added bonus is that they are removable. Ride to a trail and drop the luggage and carriers, go play and slap them back on to go home.

The bobbins and catch on the back of the carrier you see in the picture are sold separately and do not need to be installed if you want to thow over some soft bags.

Learn more HERE

Kevin