ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #8761
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 47,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
We have side carriers from SW-MOTECH that should work just fine for you. An added bonus is that they are removable. Ride to a trail and drop the luggage and carriers, go play and slap them back on to go home.



The bobbins and catch on the back of the carrier you see in the picture are sold separately and do not need to be installed if you want to thow over some soft bags.

Learn more HERE

Kevin

Those open up a whole bunch of cool options for the new bike.

Do the racks fit tight enough that they don't and won't rattle?
(I ask because my Givi top box has a slight rattle (bag mounts not rack rattle) and the 1/2 turn mounts for the Harley bags have a nice piece of rubber that takes up the slack.)
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 08:50 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #8762
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Those open up a whole bunch of cool options for the new bike.

Do the racks fit tight enough that they don't and won't rattle?
(I ask because my Givi top box has a slight rattle (bag mounts not rack rattle) and the 1/2 turn mounts for the Harley bags have a nice piece of rubber that takes up the slack.)
The cam locks have a series of spring washers that add plenty of tension to hold them snug to the receivers. There is no rattle there. They look like this:



Adding even more options is the fact that the carriers themselves have a series of drilled and tapped holes to accept different hardware kits. This allows the side racks to accept the luggage of different models and manufacturers. Some people have been known to run one set of cases for commuting and another set for long trips by changing bobbins on the fly.

Kev
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #8763
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
We have side carriers from SW-MOTECH that should work just fine for you. An added bonus is that they are removable. Ride to a trail and drop the luggage and carriers, go play and slap them back on to go home.



The bobbins and catch on the back of the carrier you see in the picture are sold separately and do not need to be installed if you want to thow over some soft bags.

Learn more HERE

Kevin
Looks like you could use nearly any hard or soft bag on them! Cool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #8764
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 47,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
The cam locks have a series of spring washers that add plenty of tension to hold them snug to the receivers. There is no rattle there. They look like this:



Adding even more options is the fact that the carriers themselves have a series of drilled and tapped holes to accept different hardware kits. This allows the side racks to accept the luggage of different models and manufacturers. Some people have been known to run one set of cases for commuting and another set for long trips by changing bobbins on the fly.

Kev
IMO That is a VERY cool set-up and idea.

Do you have a picture of that set-up from the back?
(I ask because white lining here often demands a certain amount of...narrowness. )
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #8765
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
IMO That is a VERY cool set-up and idea.

Do you have a picture of that set-up from the back?
(I ask because white lining here often demands a certain amount of...narrowness. )
Sorry for the delay. Here is the shot you were looking for:



Kev
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #8766
Larch
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 23
Any Others Experience HF Vibration?

[QUOTE=Kokopelli;21302833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

The gearbox will probably bed-in a bit, so the jury is still out. At least it now "clacks" with the best of them.
I agree that the gearbox may improve, though some don't (my Tiger's gear-change [caused by a crappy clutch] is still awful after 23k).

Anyway, even if it didn't improve on the GS, I could live with it ok.

However, the HF vibration I experienced on the GS I rode between about 5 and 6.5k was of more concern to me. The dealer told me he would have another demo bike available soon, so I'll try to ride that to compare, but any feedback from owners (good or bad) regarding vibration would be appreciated. What I'm wondering is if this is a "feature" of all GSs, or if it was just this bike. By the way, I'm ok with vibration so long as it's not uncomfortable, but this was noticeably making my wrists feel uncomfortable.

Thanks.
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #8767
Seb1234
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is the shot you were looking for:



Kev
Thank you for the pics.
With the panniers on (different sizes), is it making a perfect symmetry ?
Seb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #8768
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,037
Fantastic job.

So they are like "quick remove" so that they don't mess the rear of the bike when not used?
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #8769
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 47,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is the shot you were looking for:



Kev
Thanks!
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #8770
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1234 View Post
Thank you for the pics.
With the panniers on (different sizes), is it making a perfect symmetry ?
I don't think I would use the word perfect but they would certainly be pretty darn close.

Kev
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #8771
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fubar201's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
Mine used about 150 ml up to the 1000 km service but hasn't used any since up to 4,000 km +.
Mine doesn't seem to have burned a drop in the 2K MILES since my run-in service. Impressive.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #8772
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Voz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 348
One of the main reasons I fit SW Motech rear pannier racks to my bikes is for the added crash protection for when the bike has a spill, particulalry low speed tip over. Saves a lot of expensive part replacement for scratched and damager parts. I very rarely have the panniers fitted in my daily use of the bike.

I love the fact that they are quick disconnect so you can restore the bikes look to OEM when you feel like it.

Just ordered all my SWM gear in black to fir to my new LC next week. I really like the layout of the new lower crashbars.

I did not realise that the racks are not symetric on the bike, does not look as good as some others (apart from Touratech which look truly awaful). I guess they made the decision to keep the rear end slim as opposed to having the rear left sticking out unneccesarily, fair enough.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #8773
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
little over 3000km and no oil usage.
Same here. At first service the oil reservoir was still full. And now at 3000 km it is well over max quantity. Think the garage overfilled it at the first service.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #8774
At adventure
AB
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 127
Gps

[QUOTE=Voz;21306701]
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post

Good stuff, told ya!

How much from GPSOZ? I was thinking about dropping into Ryda and picking one up for $527 if they have any left.


$599 + $200 for the topo maps = $799 & he throws in the Bikers Atlas (worth $30). Alternatively you can buy his topo maps down the track for $220.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #8775
At adventure
AB
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 127
Gps

[QUOTE=atg;21306404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post


AT Adventure;

If your GPS is using the original GSW BMW mount, wiring and plugs,and apparently it is as you mention that it automatically powers up, than it will also automatically power off.

However, keep in mind that power off occurs only after its power supply is switched off which happens some 30 or so seconds after you switch the bike off.

30 seconds after the bike is switched off you should notice that the GPS, as result of lack of external power, turns its power demand to the internal ZUMO's battery and after a few more seconds it asks you if you want it to continue to run on its own battery. If you don't reply it switches itself off after 30 seconds.

In short, when you switch your bike off and don't do anything else, the GPS will switch off after about a minute. Try it !

Andre
Ahhhh that explains that! Thanks AB
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014