Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #8911
cyclingjetpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Mmmm makes you wonder? My bike (1800km with spoked rims) has developed a bit of a front end wobble in a straight line above 80km. Probably just needs a wheel balance but surprising given I have not taken it off road yet. I will get it checked out and report back. AB
I've had the same issue since mile 6. Its a out of round Michelin Tourance Next (front tire). They are not avail. So I ordered a Set of Conti trail attack 2. There not released till the 15th. They checked, and everything else was good to go. Put your bike on the center stand weight the back end. Spin the front tire,put something close to it for reference to see if there's any high spots.Mine has an obvious high spot. I also have spoked rims. Mines got a solid shimmy, can feel at all speeds. Very pronounced 50, to 65, and on deceleration. More pronounced with my wife on back.
cyclingjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #8912
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
For those in the US... where did BMW hide the evaporative canister?

I can't find it on the realoem parts breakdown.
I think it is in the front under the tank.

On a side note, a friend said it is in the gas tank....
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #8913
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Day 1 2013 GSW

Ok, so after waiting 4 months I finally took delivery of my red GSW yesterday. I ticked all the options boxes including LED, spoke wheels, Cruise, ESA, etc. I also kitted the bike out with SW Motech lower & upper crashbars, rear panniers, ALU Rack and Trax pannier boxes.

AUSSIE MADE RADGUARD RADIATOR GUARDS.

For daily commuting usage I then fitted a Givi 55L top box and BMW Large Tankbag.

This is my first big bike having just come off my learner/provisional license over the last year. To say I was apprehensive about riding this thing for the first time is a massive understatement. I was pretty much shitting bricks, especially when it was raining on the pickup day, lol!

Ok, so I started her up and took off. My initial impressions:

- Did not feel much heavier than my previous Kawasaki Versys 650
- Same seat height as my Versys 650, the BMW was configured for 1 rider + luggage
- The feel on this bike is very solid, kind of like sitting in an S Class merc compared to a small 4 Cyl car.
- The BM is nimble and fairly easy to manouvere at low speed.
- The clutch lever is not as light as some have suggested, my left wrist got quite tired holding the clutch lever in when waiting in traffic.
- The gear box is extremely smooth when gear changing, the gear changes just snick into the next gear, no effort, no clunks or thuds (1st gear selection when taking off does have a very slight surge but it is not alarming).
- The horn switch does not stick out as much as other bikes, your thumb has to hunt for it.
- The indicator switch is quite small and a little unnaturally far awa from the thumb, there is no clunk as you select a direction and you wonder if you have quite engaged it.
- I found the handlebars a little low for my liking, to stand I am hunched over. I am 6ft 1" short legs long body.
- The mirrors are excellent compared to my previous Kwaka, they can see so much and have a ball adjustment where they meet the top of the arm to allow for almost infinite adjustment.
- The power, oh the power! I started off in Rain mode which was cool, then put it in Road mode which was a little more urgent but still restrained, I have not tried Dynamic yet, will ride a few more days in Road mode first.
- The suspension comfort is just sublime, I have not yet taken it out of Soft, it soaks up the inner city bumps and road irregularities with ease. Just so incredibly comfortable.
- I think the LCD display and analogue speed & RPM meter are a bit of a let down. A lot of info is written in small LCD lettering. The speedo numbers are almost impossible to read. The LCD in daylight is just hard to view, at nite is it fine.
- You really start to feel the size and weight of the bike when you are moving it around the car park, it has a momentum that it just wants to keep rolling, you have to be mindful to pull it up.

So, after 150klm on day one I am now fairly comfortable with the bike and somewhat acclimatised to the bike. My biggest problem really is getting the RPM correct and clutch release correct when taking off particulalry on a slight or steep hill. I just can not find the sweet spot. I seem to be over revving it as I am not confident taking off around 2000 rpm as I think it might stall but it probably wont.

I left my work car park yesterday which is a steep ramp from LG to L1 and it was a disaster, all my work mates were there cheering me on and I fluffed it. Too much RPM, tooo little RPM, clutch all over the place, abandoned the launch, pulled the clutch in and rolled backwards down to level ground. Then relaunched 3-4000 RPM and made it up with heart beating at the top.

Anyway, much too early yet to report anything else, will go on a bit of a ride tonite then a club ride tomorrow nite so hopefully more useful info after that.

Anyone who has any clutch/launch advise is welcome to reply, I need as much input in this area as possible, cheers!

Voz screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:34 PM
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #8914
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 729
VOZ, congrats on the new bike!! She's really nice looking..
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #8915
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingjetpilot View Post
I've had the same issue since mile 6. Its a out of round Michelin Tourance Next (front tire). They are not avail. So I ordered a Set of Conti trail attack 2. There not released till the 15th. They checked, and everything else was good to go. Put your bike on the center stand weight the back end. Spin the front tire,put something close to it for reference to see if there's any high spots.Mine has an obvious high spot. I also have spoked rims. Mines got a solid shimmy, can feel at all speeds. Very pronounced 50, to 65, and on deceleration. More pronounced with my wife on back.
Thought it was Metzeler Tourance and Michelin Anakee. Which was on your bike?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #8916
Daxaar
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Anyone who has any clutch/launch advise is welcome to reply, I need as much input in this area as possible, cheers!
Clutch control on the GS is no different to any other bike. I think you're struggling because you're nervous of dropping your new bike which is perfectly normal. Keep riding, do some slow speed practice in a quiet, flat area and you'll start to relax and enjoy it more and better control will come naturally.
Daxaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #8917
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,893
Quote:
O
- The clutch lever is not as light as some have suggested, my left wrist got quite tired holding the clutch lever in when waiting in traffic.
Interesting, one of my biggest impressions during the test ride (besides the power ) was how extremely light the clutch lever felt. Far lighter than my Super Tenere's and Road King's. Maybe it's all relative compared to what bikes you are used to.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #8918
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Interesting, one of my biggest impressions during the test ride (besides the power ) was how extremely light the clutch lever felt. Far lighter than my Super Tenere's and Road King's. Maybe it's all relative compared to what bikes you are used to.
My last bike was a 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 and it had a heavy clutch lever feel to engage it but when you had to hold it in it really was no effort. The GSW clutch lever is easy to pull in but is hard to hold in for long periods, it is like you are fighting against a large spring, it pisses me off in slow bumper to bumper traffic and as I said I can feel it in my wrist.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #8919
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxaar View Post
Clutch control on the GS is no different to any other bike. I think you're struggling because you're nervous of dropping your new bike which is perfectly normal. Keep riding, do some slow speed practice in a quiet, flat area and you'll start to relax and enjoy it more and better control will come naturally.
I am definetly stressed about dropping it but more concerned about stalling in traffic and having a cage run into me.

I agree I need more practice, I just hate practicing in traffic!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #8920
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
I am definetly stressed about dropping it but more concerned about stalling in traffic and having a cage run into me.

You will get there with practice. Don't be cute - keep the revs higher than you need. That way you won't stall it! The finesse will come naturally if you keep wanting to improve. Enjoy your bike, paul
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #8921
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Vos try using the rear break more (like a hill start) and release the clutch before easing of the rear break. It comes naturally after a while.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #8922
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Ok, so after waiting 4 months I finally took delivery of my red GSW yesterday. I ticked all the options boxes including LED, spoke wheels, Cruise, ESA, etc. I also kitted the bike out with SW Motech lower & upper crashbars, rear panniers, ALU Rack and Trax pannier boxes.

This is my first big bike having just come off my learner/provisional license over the last year. To say I was apprehensive about riding this thing for the first time is a massive understatement. I was pretty much shitting bricks, especially when it was raining on the pickup day, lol!

Ok, so I started her up and took off. My initial impressions:

- Did not feel much heavier than my previous Kawasaki Versys 650
- Same seat height as my Versys 650, the BMW was configured for 1 rider + luggage
- The feel on this bike is very solid, kind of like sitting in an S Class merc compared to a small 4 Cyl car.
- The BM is nimble and fairly easy to manouvere at low speed.
- The gear box is extremely smooth when gear changing, the gear changes just snick into the next gear, no effort, no clunks or thuds (1st gear selection when taking off does have a very slight surge but it is not alarming).
- The horn switch does not stick out as much as other bikes, your thumb has to hunt for it.
- The indicator switch is quite small and a little unnaturally far awa from the thumb, there is no clunk as you select a direction and you wonder if you have quite engaged it.
- I found the handlebars a little low for my liking, to stand I am hunched over. I am 6ft 1" short legs long body.
- The mirrors are excellent compared to my previous Kwaka, they can see so much and have a ball adjustment where they meet the top of the arm to allow for almost infinite adjustment.
- The power, oh the power! I started off in Rain mode which was cool, then put it in Road mode which was a little more urgent but still restrained, I have not tried Dynamic yet, will ride a few more days in Road mode first.
- The suspension comfort is just sublime, I have not yet taken it out of Soft, it soaks up the inner city bumps and road irregularities with ease. Just so incredibly comfortable.
- I think the LCD display and analogue speed & RPM meter are a bit of a let down. A lot of info is written in small LCD lettering. The speedo numbers are almost impossible to read. The LCD in daylight is just hard to view, at nite is it fine.
- You really start to feel the size and weight of the bike when you are moving it around the car park, it has a momentum that it just wants to keep rolling, you have to be mindful to pull it up.

So, after 150klm on day one I am now fairly comfortable with the bike and somewhat acclimatised to the bike. My biggest problem really is getting the RPM correct and clutch release correct when taking off particulalry on a slight or steep hill. I just can not find the sweet spot. I seem to be over revving it as I am not confident taking off around 2000 rpm as I think it might stall but it probably wont.

I left my work car park yesterday which is a steep ramp from LG to L1 and it was a disaster, all my work mates were there cheering me on and I fluffed it. Too much RPM, tooo little RPM, clutch all over the place, abandoned the launch, pulled the clutch in and rolled backwards down to level ground. Then relaunched 3-4000 RPM and made it up with heart beating at the top.

Anyway, much too early yet to report anything else, will go on a bit of a ride tonite then a club ride tomorrow nite so hopefully more useful info after that.

An audacious colour combo with the black guards.

Before my 1200GS I had a F800. Compared to that bike I feel as the 1200LC is easier to handle.

Don't be afraid, if you happen to drop it is is quite strong...
The clutch is a bit lighter than normally. If you are afraid of stalling just give a bit more throttle and use more clutch. For the rest: training. Drive round in quiet streets at lo speeds till you get the hang of it. I do occationally stall when in rain modus since the throttle is less sensitive then. And if you do stall, just start it again.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #8923
Russ

Oddometer: 15,104
Quote:

Don't over think it mate just ride it like your last bike and you will get the feel in no time.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #8924
cyclingjetpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Thought it was Metzeler Tourance and Michelin Anakee. Which was on your bike?
Yes, sorry for the mix up. I have the Metzler Tourance Next's.
cyclingjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #8925
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
An audacious colour combo with the black guards.

Before my 1200GS I had a F800. Compared to that bike I feel as the 1200LC is easier to handle.

Don't be afraid, if you happen to drop it is is quite strong...
The clutch is a bit lighter than normally. If you are afraid of stalling just give a bit more throttle and use more clutch. For the rest: training. Drive round in quiet streets at lo speeds till you get the hang of it. I do occationally stall when in rain modus since the throttle is less sensitive then. And if you do stall, just start it again.
Thanks. Actually tonite I took off in 2nd gear by mistake and it was a lot smoother!

I am actually digging my choice of black crashbars now. it looks a lot more brutal!