Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #9091
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGSA View Post
I agree re the Ducati performance, and sound. As far as the handling, don't worry, the BM has it in spades, and very little nose dive.
You won't be disappointed. Also the BM will hold it's value alot better too.
Yes the value is an interesting discussion point I have never owned a bike that has depreciated as much as the Ducati !! I have had many BMW's but decided for a change to stop me being one eyed. Looks like I'll be testing the GS soon. I am a little torn because I hired a GS to tour NZ a few years back and really thought that bike a great comprimise. I wonder what the new GSA will be like ?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #9092
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Yes the value is an interesting discussion point I have never owned a bike that has depreciated as much as the Ducati !!
Yup, if you're prone to flipping a bike after two years never buy a new Duc.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #9093
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Yes the value is an interesting discussion point I have never owned a bike that has depreciated as much as the Ducati !! I have had many BMW's but decided for a change to stop me being one eyed. Looks like I'll be testing the GS soon. I am a little torn because I hired a GS to tour NZ a few years back and really thought that bike a great comprimise. I wonder what the new GSA will be like ?
I had a GSA '08 and loved it on road, off it was too heavy. The new one will be interesting. This is my 8th BM, and I went to Ducati as the GS's got too stale.
I hired a GS last year overseas, and was very happy to get home to my Multi. It's very hard to go past an 1198 motor.
However, this GS is a big step forward. Make sure you have the demo in Dynamic mode, you'll have fun.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #9094
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Yup, if you're prone to flipping a bike after two years never buy a new Duc.
You would not think this by the prices people ask on bike sales? The Ducati has held value worse than my XB12X which was quite good over the 4 years I owned it. My BM's all held there value well. I've got to the stage where I'm tied of fixing poor engineering , this is the second Ducati I've owned, I had a new one in 1978 and now this one. This one reminds me of the 1978 one, same types of issues, which most likely means the problems are in the genes of the builders.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #9095
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
You would not think this by the prices people ask on bike sales? The Ducati has held value worse than my XB12X which was quite good over the 4 years I owned it. My BM's all held there value well. I've got to the stage where I'm tied of fixing poor engineering , this is the second Ducati I've owned, I had a new one in 1978 and now this one. This one reminds me of the 1978 one, same types of issues, which most likely means the problems are in the genes of the builders.
Where I am (Japan), Ducs are pricey new but a bargain used. Mainly because people are still wary about their build quality/reliability, and their low resale value (vicious circle and all that...). Can pick up a Multi 1000S for under $4K on auction.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #9096
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
How are people liking the ESA compared to a good set of ohlins or wilbers shocks? A set of wilbers was far superior to what came from the factory on my 2005 R1200GS and ohlins were also much better than the factory shocks on my R1100RS.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #9097
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
How are people liking the ESA compared to a good set of ohlins or wilbers shocks? A set of wilbers was far superior to what came from the factory on my 2005 R1200GS and ohlins were also much better than the factory shocks on my R1100RS.
Most likely all shocks have improved since then?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #9098
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
There was at least one that mentioned exactly this experience (can't find the post). He moved from a custom built set of shocks on his previous bike, to D-ESA in WGS. I don't remember details but I do remember he mentioned something like that it is the first time he doesn't miss the custom shocks and he probably will not do the same with GSW shocks.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #9099
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Amateur Comparison Review LC and MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGSA View Post
I had a GSA '08 and loved it on road, off it was too heavy. The new one will be interesting. This is my 8th BM, and I went to Ducati as the GS's got too stale.
I hired a GS last year overseas, and was very happy to get home to my Multi. It's very hard to go past an 1198 motor.
However, this GS is a big step forward. Make sure you have the demo in Dynamic mode, you'll have fun.
Here is my take:

I currently own a 2011 Multistrada, which I love. When I bought it, the GS was the contender, but my choice was decided by the excitement and fun factor. the GS was just too staid in comparison. I was a road biased rider, so that clinched it. (I have since discovered the MTS is dirt road capable) A few weeks ago I took the new 2013 GS out for a spin. Not a lot of chance to fully try it, but I did a deep lean charge onto an on ramp and a few power bursts on the highway. This new bike is a contender for the what comes after a multistrada.

Here is my summary of the advantages:
    • It has all the modes, changeable on the fly as the mts. more obvious buttons to push too. User friendly operation (MTS computer is PITA)
    • BMW wheels fit 60/40 road/dirt tires
    • way better cockpit comfort, soft seat, with several adjustment options, very effective screen, so much calmer back there, built in hiss flaps.
    • cruise control
    • no chain
    • workable luggage
    • @125HP, is 25 less than the MTS, but IMHO just slightly less overkill. The torque is brilliant, as much as I would use on the MTS anyways
    • This is not last years GS, it is a different bike, consciously made street capable, like they had the MTS in mind.
    • Self adjusting suspension, I couldn't tell, not enough bumps, but it was a very smooth ride.
    • smooth light clutch and Honda like silky precise and quiet gearbox, nothing remotely clunky
    • no chain
    • handled so easily, not sure what comes together for that feel
    • throttle response is not like the usual hesitant bmw style, very much direct action like the MTS.
    • 20 litre tank, I'm guessing anything gets better mileage than the mts
    • capable rear brake
    • 500lbs wet = MTS
    • no chain did I say
Disadvantages.
  • about $26K with all the whistles.
  • get to look like Charlie and Ewen clones.
  • 1st year anything, wait and see

MTS advantages:
  • red
  • sexy
  • red
  • faster (as if I could)
  • personality and character
  • it is a truly exciting ride
  • get to say "I ride a Ducati"
  • can wear a ducati baseball hat
  • many small quirks, but overall a brilliant ride

NOt that I am running out to change teams, I took the Ducati up to Squamish today and didn't wish I was on the beemer. But in the next year or two, if I might get itchy to upgrade, this one is definitely a contender.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #9100
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
MTS advantages:
  • red - GS too
  • sexy - depending on the angle you see it (that beak... as in GS... well both suck depending on the angle)
  • red - Erm... GS too?
  • faster (as if I could) - indeed faster
  • personality and character - GS too, this is NOT a Honda you compare too
  • it is a truly exciting ride - Agreed
  • get to say "I ride a Ducati" - Get to say "I ride a BMW"
  • can wear a ducati baseball hat - BMW makes one too, both countries suck at baseball too and both are way better in soccer which is a real sport after all
  • many small quirks, but overall a brilliant ride - Like GS
Very nice analysis thanks.

Check the red above, and the disadvantages list you missed on MTS:
  • Desmo (who threw nuts and bolts in the engine?)
  • Torque comes high RPM (although better than older MTS)
  • Ducati off-road = joke (LOL kind of joke)
  • Will next MTS again be different? Why don't they decide where this model fits or at least make a segment for itself?
  • (based on above) Resale value

Now the comparative analysis is more complete (if something you think is off, fair enough, I haven't ridden MTS extensively).
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #9101
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Duc & GS

Yesterday on a casual inspection of my 37,000-mile '10 MTS1200, I found the countershaft nut about ready to fall off !! OK, my fault, but I may have to "rethink" my claim that dealing with a chain is a non-issue. Guess I don't have the technical savvy to handle maintaining a chain.

Been looking at GSs for years; the new LC one looks very nice, but I'm trying to avoid a test-ride for another year (Mrs. Greg's appeal). At 5-8 they've always felt too large for me; Multi felt just right.

And a year from now, what value d'ya think a Multi 12 with 75,000 miles is gonna have (if the bottom end makes it)? Nil, I would imagine.

Have enjoyed very much reading riders' opinions of the new LC bike; keep 'em coming .

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #9102
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
NLS I'll make you a deal

How about I bump your post count by another 1000 giving you a post count of over 3000.

You get the cred you seek from having a higher post count, and save the rest of us from your constant drivel.

grahamspc stated the name of the magazine in his post.
thanks,some one had to say it.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #9103
COBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I'm discussing a purchase with a dealer and he sends me the bikes info. It shows the bike was built 12/2012. As popular as the GSW seems it is somewhat of a surprise that a bike was built in December of last year is still available. Any thoughts/comments?
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #9104
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Very nice analysis thanks.

Check the red above, and the disadvantages list you missed on MTS:
  • Desmo (who threw nuts and bolts in the engine?)
  • Torque comes high RPM (although better than older MTS)
  • Ducati off-road = joke (LOL kind of joke)
  • Will next MTS again be different? Why don't they decide where this model fits or at least make a segment for itself?
  • (based on above) Resale value

Now the comparative analysis is more complete (if something you think is off, fair enough, I haven't ridden MTS extensively).

right on! great comeback, LOL

but the duchess has MORE red

I will not pretend the MTS enduro mode has any relationship to an enduro bike, GS in this case, but I will argue that it does have some offroad capability, at least better than the other fake off-roader V-strom with OEM tires. Having no dirt experience, I did take it on an off road training course for GSs, and shocked myself at what I could do, including single track. With some Knobbies or dirt biased tires (not available in 190 rear tires), It could do the job.
some pix: https://plus.google.com/photos/11118...IH17sqD9eaR8QE
I don't doubt that a better rider than I could do the same on a Harley or any UJM with some clearance.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #9105
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaburro View Post
thanks,some one had to say it.
So someone has to return to that every few posts.
Great. Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
Nice job!