Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #9466
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Ah the ride home must be interesting ! I would imagine that panniers would be essential equipment in your case? How many bottles fit in the BMW boxes ? Or do you have the 2 gallon casks like in Australia ?
Dunno. A fine science project for this weekend.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #9467
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
After about 2k miles, I could notice a distinct squaring off of the tread as well. The bike hasn't spent it's whole life straight up and down either and the tire pressures are correct so I was quite shocked about this. I have about 3k on the bike total now and it's quite flat in the center. There is still lots of tread depth but it shouldn't be that flat either. I won't be buying this tire over again due to this, but I can't really complain about the traction though either.
unusually flat center... is definitely a signature of a rider :P

or.. maybe you use rear brake too much.

I have another problem with Tourance Nexts.. water + VERY thin layer of mud/soil underneath, for example from fields... serious skid risk imho.

next time, I'll stick with Analkee 3.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #9468
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Great News for ME

Dealer just called and said that the Full Spec Wire Wheeled R12GSW that I wanted is mine due to the first offer being withdrawn.

So in a couple of days I should be ready to give my ops on the bike as a rider. I aim to keep my 1200 Multi Strada for a bit and then decide if I part with it. Have a nice long ride planned in two weeks so really looking forward to wind protection not known on the Multi
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #9469
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
I do wonder at times why you Americans buy a GS, squared off tyres , I mean are you riding straight roads? Big windscreens you have to look through , Fat Arse seats so your butts don't get sore ? Highway Pegs ? I mean these are dual purpose bikes designed to go off sealed roads and around corners.
I have ridden an S or RS since 1974. The Rallye GS is my first "long handlebar" bike since then and I'm finding it ok. Kind of neat to be able to carry stuff on a trip. I've always gotten a tinted shield, not for extra height. And never had an after market seat until the Sargent on this GS. A bit lower (hoping to avoid a nose bleed compared to the S) and hard, not spongy like the stock. No highway pegs :). I think the only place I fall short with your standards is how my tires get flat here in flat corn and bean land. Sorry.
Might even ride on gravel with this bike...I usually avoided dotted line roads on the map with the S.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #9470
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
I do wonder at times why you Americans buy a GS, squared off tyres , I mean are you riding straight roads? Big windscreens you have to look through , Fat Arse seats so your butts don't get sore ? Highway Pegs ? I mean these are dual purpose bikes designed to go off sealed roads and around corners.
Wow, you have quite the stereotype going there. I suppose that means all Australians are ignorant toothless inbreds? Must be true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I have another problem with Tourance Nexts.. water + VERY thin layer of mud/soil underneath, for example from fields... serious skid risk imho.

I do live in Michigan, which isn't exactly known for the curviest roads around. However, I've never had a tire square off this quickly under the same circumstances short of the sticky street legal race rubber I used to run on my sport bikes. Those things would square off after only a few 100 miles jaunts up the highway. Realistically, on my previous oil cooled GS, I never squared off a tire. They always wore pretty evenly across the tread.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #9471
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 622
Quote:

Not sure why it would definately be a signature of the rider. (Perhaps you need to experience a bigger variety of roads)
Why braking too much? It could be he is enjoying the extra power and accelerating a lot harder that he did on previous GS
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #9472
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Not sure why it would definately be a signature of the rider. (Perhaps you need to experience a bigger variety of roads)
Why braking too much? It could be he is enjoying the extra power and accelerating a lot harder that he did on previous GS
Power could be a reason but its not like im constantly drag racing either. Rear brake isnt used any more than ever.

There is chance its just soft rubber.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #9473
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow, you have quite the stereotype going there. I suppose that means all Australians are ignorant toothless inbreds? Must be true...
No that is New Zealand a place where a sister is a cousin?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #9474
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
No that is New Zealand a place where a sister is a cousin?
We have that here too.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #9475
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

I can pick up my new LC tomorrow, now to plan the first 1000 k's.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #9476
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Please start another thread on this.
+1.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #9477
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
I do live in Michigan, which isn't exactly known for the curviest roads around. However, I've never had a tire square off this quickly under the same circumstances short of the sticky street legal race rubber I used to run on my sport bikes. Those things would square off after only a few 100 miles jaunts up the highway. Realistically, on my previous oil cooled GS, I never squared off a tire. They always wore pretty evenly across the tread.
you dont have to take everything so seriously

Squared off rear tire is a great opportunity to tease forum members ... at least here in CZ

I'll take a shot of my rear Tourance Next after 9k km. Almost worn off.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #9478
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
you dont have to take everything so seriously

Squared off rear tire is a great opportunity to tease forum members ... at least here in CZ

I'll take a shot of my rear Tourance Next after 9k km. Almost worn off.
I was being serious? Sarcasm and satire are hard to infer on the web, but you can bet your ass it was there.

Still doesn't explain why the tire is squaring off so quickly though. I've squared lots of tires due to far too much straight line droning, and I wouldn't complain if that was the case with this one. However, this tire really shouldn't be squaring off. That's the point here I'm trying to make and what I think the other poster was making when he brought it up.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #9479
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Can someone with factory engine guard bar please measure what the widest part is... I'm preparing my garage and its going to be tight... Thx
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #9480
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryscustomcycles View Post
I mounted up a zumo 550 very easily. Just remove the factory prep, unplug it and its the same plug BMW has used since early 1200s (possibly earlier) and the 800. I already had the counterpart on my zumo wiring from previous bikes but your dealer can supply it.
2 P clips and a couple of stainless bolts with nylocs bolt the zumo mount directly in the factory position.
Like to see a pic I have a 550 & am getting the LC soon supposedly next week. It will have GPS prep.
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote