Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #9931
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Yup! And I never was a believer in it in prior year GSs. This new ESA is far more sophisticated and effective. Best suspension I've ever ridden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Dudes,
I took the LC GS for a test ride today. Needless to say that it was awesome.
Those of you who have the premium model with the dynamic ESA, and drive modes, is it worth the extra moolah?
Thanks
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #9932
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Trade Now

Quote:
Ok chaps, thanks for the response. Next question: I currently have a 2012 RT, which I find to be an awesome bike, but a lot to live with, so to speak. It's heavy, and has a lot of plastic that I am always scared of scratching. I bought it thinking my wife would ride with me, and we would take long trips together. Yeah. That never happened. She pretty much hates being on any bike for more than an hour. It's either too hot, cold, wet, whatever. I spent a week on a 2010 GS in California. It was a revelation, lighter, easy to ride, comfy and it just seemed like it was more fun. Then I rode the LC GS, and it blew me away. I am this close from trading in the RT on the new GS, I even have the go ahead from the Missus and financially it's not a problem. (Will pay cash for the diff - yes I'm gonna lose a bit on the trade, it is what it is) Am I crazy for felling this way? I'd rather trade the RT now for a bike that suits me better before it has a ton of miles on it. Have any of you guys gone from an RT or K bike for similar reasons? And did you miss the extra wind protection? Any responses appreciated. Thanks guys.
Yes. Went from a K bike to the GS in 96 and never looked back. The best days of the K bike were the day I got it and the day I finally got smart enough to get rid of it. Getting rid of any BMW to have the LC instead is a no-brainer. I wouldn't take any new BMW with a $5k discount over the LC, IMHO its that good.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #9933
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Ok chaps, thanks for the response. Next question: I currently have a 2012 RT, which I find to be an awesome bike, but a lot to live with, so to speak. It's heavy, and has a lot of plastic that I am always scared of scratching. I bought it thinking my wife would ride with me, and we would take long trips together. Yeah. That never happened. She pretty much hates being on any bike for more than an hour. It's either too hot, cold, wet, whatever. I spent a week on a 2010 GS in California. It was a revelation, lighter, easy to ride, comfy and it just seemed like it was more fun. Then I rode the LC GS, and it blew me away. I am this close from trading in the RT on the new GS, I even have the go ahead from the Missus and financially it's not a problem. (Will pay cash for the diff - yes I'm gonna lose a bit on the trade, it is what it is) Am I crazy for felling this way? I'd rather trade the RT now for a bike that suits me better before it has a ton of miles on it. Have any of you guys gone from an RT or K bike for similar reasons? And did you miss the extra wind protection? Any responses appreciated. Thanks guys.
I've owned both a GS and an RT and definitely prefer the GS for its better all-round ability which translates into more fun. The only advantages the RT has IMO are superslab and LD touring in cold weather.

BUT (and many here may disagree), you are already late enough in the model year that you might as well wait for the 2014 GSs to go on sale. You can be sure it will have a number of stealth upgrades to correct mechanical issues that have become apparent in the first year of production.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9934
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
I have a friend with a '12 RT and he says in comfort mode his new GSW rides even better than the RT.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #9935
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Like What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've owned both a GS and an RT and definitely prefer the GS for its better all-round ability which translates into more fun. The only advantages the RT has IMO are superslab and LD touring in cold weather.

BUT (and many here may disagree), you are already late enough in the model year that you might as well wait for the 2014 GSs to go on sale. You can be sure it will have a number of stealth upgrades to correct mechanical issues that have become apparent in the first year of production.
My bike has been absolutely flawless. I haven't had a single issue with anything and while I can think of additional things that might be added I can't think of any mechanical issues that might have been design flaws that need to be addressed in a re-design. I have heard about the possible addition of a steering damper but in my experience, and that is riding gravel every day to and from work, it doesn't need a steering damper anymore than its predecessors needed one. That being said, I did put a steering damper on my 1150 for pulling a trailer and I will probably transfer it over to the LC, not because it necessarily needs it, but because I have it.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #9936
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I sold my 2010 RT 6 months ago. THe LC GS is just so much nicer to ride. The RT cruise is on the GS , add better suspension and as you stated a lighter bike with what I consider excellent aero dynamics then it isn't really a hard decision. I 've gone from having multiple bikes as I tend to just ride one most of the time, the GS is more two bikes in one than most!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #9937
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I'm still undecided about my shifting. Sometimes perfect, sometimes rough, especially going from 2 to 3. The fact that it is sometimes perfect makes me think that there is a way to do it "right" but I have not been able to figure it out.
Update here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=325
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #9938
GDD
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
I had a 2007 RT and also found it big and a chore to move around my garage, etc.
I don't miss it at all. The GS is a much better bike for the various roads and opportunities that I missed out on with the RT for fear of scratches and stone chips. I also find it more comfortable, better handling, more power and better ride.
I only wish I had done this years ago, but of course the GS LC was not then available.
I'm more than happy.
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #9939
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
My bike has been absolutely flawless. I haven't had a single issue with anything and while I can think of additional things that might be added I can't think of any mechanical issues that might have been design flaws that need to be addressed in a re-design. I have heard about the possible addition of a steering damper but in my experience, and that is riding gravel every day to and from work, it doesn't need a steering damper anymore than its predecessors needed one. That being said, I did put a steering damper on my 1150 for pulling a trailer and I will probably transfer it over to the LC, not because it necessarily needs it, but because I have it.
That's great but some haven't been so lucky. Interesting thread on gearbox/clutch problems, just to mention one issue.

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337687

To each his own but seeing how the 2014 has started production, if it were my money I would wait...

twinrider screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #9940
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
That's great but some haven't been so lucky. Interesting thread on gearbox/clutch problems, just to mention one issue.

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337687

To each his own but seeing how the 2014 has started production, if it were my money I would wait...
Try reading the rest of that thread, why don't you? The very guy who made that vid found the fix.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #9941
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Try reading the rest of that thread, why don't you?
Take a deep breath....

I did read it. Reducing fluid in the master cylinder improved shifting for you and some others, but not for everyone. The thread also indicates that BMW "knows the cure" and is upgrading some parts.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #9942
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Take a deep breath....

I did read it. Reducing fluid in the master cylinder improved shifting for you and some others, but not for everyone. The thread also indicates that BMW "knows the cure" and is upgrading some parts.
There is a lot of random bs flying around in that thread. By my count 3 of us dropped the fluid to normal levels and suddenly everything worked properly. That much is known. The rest is mere rumor, at least for now. I don't recall anyone posting that they tried this and it did not work for them. Did you see a post that said that?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #9943
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Try reading the rest of that thread, why don't you? The very guy who made that vid found the fix.
By lowering the fluid level in the clutch reservoir? Is that correct? Does that make any sense? Just wondering.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #9944
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
By lowering the fluid level in the clutch reservoir? Is that correct? Does that make any sense? Just wondering.
Yes, written up here in the "problems" thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=325
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #9945
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
There is a lot of random bs flying around in that thread. By my count 3 of us dropped the fluid to normal levels and suddenly everything worked properly. That much is known. The rest is mere rumor, at least for now. I don't recall anyone posting that they tried this and it did not work for them. Did you see a post that said that?
Check this.
http://ukgser.com/forums/showpost.ph...&postcount=151