ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #10111
steelerider
Southafricanamerican
 
steelerider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Oddometer: 952
Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with the spokes. I had put a deposit on a bike that the other dealer had coming in anyway, so there shouldn't be any issue getting it back - it was simply to hold the bike for me. I've bought 3 bikes from them in the past, so they've had a fair share of my business. I've used them since the local guy sucked these past few years, but they have made some changes recently and have really improved, so I'm willing to give them another shot.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #10112
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Oddometer: 117
Actually, the CHP insisted that the spoke wheels be replace with cast wheels. Something about tire sizes and stability if I recall correctly. But they bent a lot of wheels as a result.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #10113
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
The TT bars protect it well enough. Also tested it.
I'm thinking of either selling the BMW bars, and getting the Touratech ones, or ditching bars altogether and just getting cylinder head protectors. I'm a bit miffed that the head got scratched, with bars fitted.

What are the TT ones like? Do they give more coverage? Any downsides to just having cylinder guards, if I'm mainly riding on road?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #10114
IB1
Beastly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm thinking of either selling the BMW bars, and getting the Touratech ones, or ditching bars altogether and just getting cylinder head protectors. I'm a bit miffed that the head got scratched, with bars fitted.

What are the TT ones like? Do they give more coverage? Any downsides to just having cylinder guards, if I'm mainly riding on road?
TT bars give more coverage. Before I had my crashbars I have a little fall (mud on the road). I had the TT cilinderheadprotection on it and it was totally bent and distroyed. The cilinderhead showed some minor marks. So they did rather well as a sacrificial part. Speed was around 20mph.

The photo doesn't do the bike justice, but it gives you an idea.


IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #10115
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm thinking of either selling the BMW bars, and getting the Touratech ones, or ditching bars altogether and just getting cylinder head protectors. I'm a bit miffed that the head got scratched, with bars fitted.

What are the TT ones like? Do they give more coverage? Any downsides to just having cylinder guards, if I'm mainly riding on road?
Not crazy about the looks myself, but TT does claim they totally protect the cylinder heads. That doesn't explain why they also have the CH protectors bolted on in this pic...



My feeling is that head protectors would protect against minor drops pretty well, but engine guards would provide significantly better protection if the bike was crashed hard.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #10116
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Although pissed, he/we politely left without making a stink since we were informed that it was the manager who nixed the sale. We will find another solution and not bother them again with our business. Simply put, we wasted enough time with Max BMW and will not repeat the mistake. It was not a total loss as we had a great ride up and back in beautiful weather.
I am guessing you are somewhere in Southern New Hamshire, Massachusetts, or Connceticut. Why not ride over to our shop (Twisted Throttle) and see our 2013 R1200GS?

We are in Exeter, RI. Our warehouse is on-site and anything we have for the R12; or any other bike, we can install in our service center. We have several tankbags that fit the wet head and they all use the Bags-Connection Quick Lock System.

Listed in size or from largest to smallest they are:
Kevin
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #10117
atg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
atg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Advice needed dudes. I have a GSW on order at a dealer over an hour away from me. It's due in the within the next two weeks. Another dealer less than than 2 miles from my house has the same bike with spoke wheels, on the floor. With the accessories etc, his price is very comparable - so I guess my question is are the spoke wheels worth it? I never even considered it as an option really. Will the spoked wheels add to the resale of the bike? At least if I go with the local bike, I don't have to ride all the way up to the other dealer if there's an issue.
If I were you I would certainly go with the wire wheels as they can take quite a beating ! In Brazil bikes with wire wheels are more valued and also easier to sell.

However, I would certainly wait a little longer as in August BMW starts manufacturing 2014 models that will have a steering damper. It will certainly be more valuable than a 2013 model !

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10118
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
My feeling is that head protectors would protect against minor drops pretty well, but engine guards would provide significantly better protection if the bike was crashed hard.
But in a hard crash, the insurance company would get involved, ad repair/ replace everything. I wonder whether in a small car park drop, the head guards would not touch the cylinders?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #10119
popscycle
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I am guessing you are somewhere in Southern New Hamshire, Massachusetts, or Connceticut. Why not ride over to our shop (Twisted Throttle) and see our 2013 R1200GS?

We are in Exeter, RI. Our warehouse is on-site and anything we have for the R12; or any other bike, we can install in our service center. We have several tankbags that fit the wet head and they all use the Bags-Connection Quick Lock System.

Listed in size or from largest to smallest they are:
Kevin
We greatly appreciate your response. I will pass this one to the SIL and the chances are good we will be down as we are about an hour away and he has a healthy budget for this bike.
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #10120
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
But in a hard crash, the insurance company would get involved, ad repair/ replace everything. I wonder whether in a small car park drop, the head guards would not touch the cylinders?
I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine guards providing enough protection that you can ride the bike home after binning it versus having to call a tow truck. I've experienced or seen this enough times that I always install engine guards when possible.

Tough question about the head guards, depends on what's behind them (hard rubber padding is good) and how hard it hits. I had the OEMs on my R1100RT and they did save the cylinder head from damage when a car banged into it while suddenly swinging into my lane. Put a nice crease along the car's side...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #10121
IB1
Beastly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine guards providing enough protection that you can ride the bike home after binning it versus having to call a tow truck. I've experienced or seen this enough times that I always install engine guards when possible.

Tough question about the head guards, depends on what's behind them (hard rubber padding is good) and how hard it hits. I had the OEMs on my R1100RT and they did save the cylinder head from damage when a car banged into it while suddenly swinging into my lane. Put a nice crease along the car's side...
The TT cilinderheadprotection is spaced using a number of hard plastic mounts that break on impact (take the energy of the fall).
They also have a visual purpous in making it more tough looking.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #10122
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine guards providing enough protection that you can ride the bike home after binning it versus having to call a tow truck. I've experienced or seen this enough times that I always install engine guards when possible.

Tough question about the head guards, depends on what's behind them (hard rubber padding is good) and how hard it hits. I had the OEMs on my R1100RT and they did save the cylinder head from damage when a car banged into it while suddenly swinging into my lane. Put a nice crease along the car's side...
Good point re riding home after a spill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
The TT cilinderheadprotection is spaced using a number of hard plastic mounts that break on impact (take the energy of the fall).
They also have a visual purpous in making it more tough looking.
That's making my decision harder
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #10123
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
I have a set of factory engine guards and have a set of Touratech head guards that I hope will fit. If they do not I will get a set of Twisted Throttle head guards.
__________________
2013 R1200GS LC red
2012 K1600GTL blue
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #10124
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
We greatly appreciate your response. I will pass this one to the SIL and the chances are good we will be down as we are about an hour away and he has a healthy budget for this bike.
Great ask for me. I'd love to meet you guys.

Kev
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #10125
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I have a set of factory engine guards and have a set of Touratech head guards that I hope will fit. If they do not I will get a set of Twisted Throttle head guards.
I couldn't see head guards on the Twisted Throttle website.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015