Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #10111
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Nope, it was the other side. The bars have some scratches now! Annoyingly, the bottom of the cylinder head took some scratches, so I'll either get another, or get this one painted. I thought the bars would protect the whole head, but obviously not.
It's retro, back in the 70's I didn't know any BMWs that didn't have a flat spot worn on the bottom edge of the cylinder covers...
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #10112
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 763
Advice needed dudes. I have a GSW on order at a dealer over an hour away from me. It's due in the within the next two weeks. Another dealer less than than 2 miles from my house has the same bike with spoke wheels, on the floor. With the accessories etc, his price is very comparable - so I guess my question is are the spoke wheels worth it? I never even considered it as an option really. Will the spoked wheels add to the resale of the bike? At least if I go with the local bike, I don't have to ride all the way up to the other dealer if there's an issue.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #10113
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
The warranty is honored at any dealer, but of course the other dealer may snarl at you if you cancel. I would go for the local dealer, We have the spokes and like the look and so forth very well. They are also more forgiving over curbs :) and bumps as far as the rim surviving.
I think the spokes are a plus.
I heard that the Cal Hwy Patrol insisted on spokes for the reason of jumping curbs, etc. on their RTs, etc.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #10114
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Advice needed dudes. I have a GSW on order at a dealer over an hour away from me. It's due in the within the next two weeks. Another dealer less than than 2 miles from my house has the same bike with spoke wheels, on the floor. With the accessories etc, his price is very comparable - so I guess my question is are the spoke wheels worth it? I never even considered it as an option really. Will the spoked wheels add to the resale of the bike? At least if I go with the local bike, I don't have to ride all the way up to the other dealer if there's an issue.
Why did you buy the bike at the dealer far away?

I got the spoked rims, they are more prone to get vibrations. Nothing to bad however. On my current GS I have spokes. If I change in 2 years I will probably go for the alloys. Nothing wrong with the spokes, but ease of use with the normal alloys gives it an edge.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #10115
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
The spoke wheels are a good deal that adds to the resale value of the bike and are generally more durable if you ever plan to take the bike offroad. Dealing with the local dealer would be better if they have same reputation as the remote dealer, assuming there is no penalty for cancelling your order.

Cons: the spokes are harder to clean than the cast wheels, and the new cast wheels are very good looking (though opinions vary, and you'll be much sadder the first time you scratch a cast rim either on the road or changing a tire). You'll need to decide which you like better.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #10116
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 763
Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with the spokes. I had put a deposit on a bike that the other dealer had coming in anyway, so there shouldn't be any issue getting it back - it was simply to hold the bike for me. I've bought 3 bikes from them in the past, so they've had a fair share of my business. I've used them since the local guy sucked these past few years, but they have made some changes recently and have really improved, so I'm willing to give them another shot.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #10117
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Actually, the CHP insisted that the spoke wheels be replace with cast wheels. Something about tire sizes and stability if I recall correctly. But they bent a lot of wheels as a result.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #10118
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
The TT bars protect it well enough. Also tested it.
I'm thinking of either selling the BMW bars, and getting the Touratech ones, or ditching bars altogether and just getting cylinder head protectors. I'm a bit miffed that the head got scratched, with bars fitted.

What are the TT ones like? Do they give more coverage? Any downsides to just having cylinder guards, if I'm mainly riding on road?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #10119
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
I'm thinking of either selling the BMW bars, and getting the Touratech ones, or ditching bars altogether and just getting cylinder head protectors. I'm a bit miffed that the head got scratched, with bars fitted.

What are the TT ones like? Do they give more coverage? Any downsides to just having cylinder guards, if I'm mainly riding on road?
TT bars give more coverage. Before I had my crashbars I have a little fall (mud on the road). I had the TT cilinderheadprotection on it and it was totally bent and distroyed. The cilinderhead showed some minor marks. So they did rather well as a sacrificial part. Speed was around 20mph.

The photo doesn't do the bike justice, but it gives you an idea.

IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #10120
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,916
Quote:

Not crazy about the looks myself, but TT does claim they totally protect the cylinder heads. That doesn't explain why they also have the CH protectors bolted on in this pic...

My feeling is that head protectors would protect against minor drops pretty well, but engine guards would provide significantly better protection if the bike was crashed hard.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #10121
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Although pissed, he/we politely left without making a stink since we were informed that it was the manager who nixed the sale. We will find another solution and not bother them again with our business. Simply put, we wasted enough time with Max BMW and will not repeat the mistake. It was not a total loss as we had a great ride up and back in beautiful weather.
I am guessing you are somewhere in Southern New Hamshire, Massachusetts, or Connceticut. Why not ride over to our shop (Twisted Throttle) and see our 2013 R1200GS?

We are in Exeter, RI. Our warehouse is on-site and anything we have for the R12; or any other bike, we can install in our service center. We have several tankbags that fit the wet head and they all use the Bags-Connection Quick Lock System.

Listed in size or from largest to smallest they are:
Kevin
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #10122
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
If I were you I would certainly go with the wire wheels as they can take quite a beating ! In Brazil bikes with wire wheels are more valued and also easier to sell.

However, I would certainly wait a little longer as in August BMW starts manufacturing 2014 models that will have a steering damper. It will certainly be more valuable than a 2013 model !

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10123
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
My feeling is that head protectors would protect against minor drops pretty well, but engine guards would provide significantly better protection if the bike was crashed hard.
But in a hard crash, the insurance company would get involved, ad repair/ replace everything. I wonder whether in a small car park drop, the head guards would not touch the cylinders?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #10124
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I am guessing you are somewhere in Southern New Hamshire, Massachusetts, or Connceticut. Why not ride over to our shop (Twisted Throttle) and see our 2013 R1200GS?

We are in Exeter, RI. Our warehouse is on-site and anything we have for the R12; or any other bike, we can install in our service center. We have several tankbags that fit the wet head and they all use the Bags-Connection Quick Lock System.

Listed in size or from largest to smallest they are:
Kevin
We greatly appreciate your response. I will pass this one to the SIL and the chances are good we will be down as we are about an hour away and he has a healthy budget for this bike.
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #10125
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,916
Quote:
But in a hard crash, the insurance company would get involved, ad repair/ replace everything. I wonder whether in a small car park drop, the head guards would not touch the cylinders?
I'm thinking more along the lines of the engine guards providing enough protection that you can ride the bike home after binning it versus having to call a tow truck. I've experienced or seen this enough times that I always install engine guards when possible.

Tough question about the head guards, depends on what's behind them (hard rubber padding is good) and how hard it hits. I had the OEMs on my R1100RT and they did save the cylinder head from damage when a car banged into it while suddenly swinging into my lane. Put a nice crease along the car's side...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote