Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #10126
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
Looking at the BMW bars in the garage just now, there seems to be a design flaw, as the bottom of the cylinder will always touch the ground in a drop.

So, I'm thinking that the Touratech cylinder guards are definitely the way to go.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #10127
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Looking at the BMW bars in the garage just now, there seems to be a design flaw, as the bottom of the cylinder will always touch the ground in a drop.

I wouldn't be so sure, put some cardboard or a rug on the floor and gently lay the bike down to see if that's true.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #10128
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 49,254
Quote:

*snip pics

So, I'm thinking that the Touratech cylinder guards are definitely the way to go.
The guy at Altrider (Jason?) laid a 13 with BMW bars on it's side (MOA rally) after telling me the same thing.
The valve cover didn't touch. (The guards did flex enough for the rubber to touch the valve cover.)

That said: I went with the Touratechs because they appear to offer more coverage and because he didn't have any of his stuff ready.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #10129
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
The Twisted Throttle cylinder head guards are not on the website yet but they are in the video. If they are like there other products they will be a better quality than the Touratech guards that I bought. At some time in the future I may change out the factory engine guards for ATLriders. Many times I tend to get what is available then get a better product when it becomes available. At this time we are limited by what is released. I do have to complement Twisted Throttle for not putting the guards online until they have them available. Wunderlich has many items for sale that they have not released or even have an expected release date.

iride4u screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 03:56 AM
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #10130
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,554
Be sure to only lay it down on linoleum floors- those bars are worthless. I always found Hepco did a good job at avoiding stupid designs like that- what do they have for this application?

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #10131
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I wouldn't be so sure, put some cardboard or a rug on the floor and gently lay the bike down to see if that's true.
Mine had a lay down this weekend, after rolling off the side stand, and the underneath of the cylinder is covered in scratches.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #10132
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Mine had a lay down this weekend, after rolling off the side stand, and the underneath of the cylinder is covered in scratches.
BMW engineering = oxymoron

Regards, Paul
Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #10133
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Be sure to only lay it down on linoleum floors- those bars are worthless. I always found Hepco did a good job at avoiding stupid designs like that- what do they have for this application?

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #10134
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

Sweet!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #10135
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,554
Usually the best design out there for these bikes- Not surprised to see them address the key issue here, protecting the heads in a tip over.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #10136
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,404
Quote:
Nothing sticking up from the ground that could have caused them? Hard to believe BMW wouldn't have done the minimal lay down test when designing them.

I had HB guards on my 1100GS and they did an excellent job of protecting the heads when I dropped the bike hard. The HBs for the GSW also look a lot better than the TT guards imo....
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #10137
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
I'm in the club as well, Rich. Mine was on the side stand on a slight, I mean, very slight incline in front of my house. Got off, made sure it was stable, ran inside to grab something, came back out and me pushing open my top pannier case pushed the bike forward to a slow lay down. I have crash bars, so nothing on the bike was damaged other than a few scuffs on the bars. It was bound to happen eventually.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10138
HBRDR
Invisible Rider

Oddometer: 244
Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschulz View Post
WOW mine started acting up after i installed the BMW GPS i thought it had to do with that.. mine will not set.. it come on for just a second and goes right back off.... i was at the BMW place Friday and they could not look at it but said they have not had any calls about it.. but i could make appointment and they would look at it.... let me now what you find out.. and i will do the same
Mine started acting up on a 1500 mile trip a couple weeks ago. It kept cutting out without any brake or throttle input to cause it. It kept happening while riding with just left hand on the grip. It is still f'd up. No time to get to dealer who is 2 hours away and closed on my days off. Everything else is good.

2013 R1200GS
HBRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #10139
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Nothing sticking up from the ground that could have caused them? Hard to believe BMW wouldn't have done the minimal lay down test when designing them.
Nope. If anything, the ground was slightly sunk away from the bike where it fell. Looking at the bike in the garage, if it falls on the left side, the cylinder will touch down (admittedly, the underside of the cylinder, which is out of view) almost guaranteed, but the right side looks to be hidden behind the bars more.

Either way, I'll get these off and run the bike with head protectors for a while, unless there are some more comprehensive bars out there.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #10140
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I'm in the club as well, Rich. Mine was on the side stand on a slight, I mean, very slight incline in front of my house. Got off, made sure it was stable, ran inside to grab something, came back out and me pushing open my top pannier case pushed the bike forward to a slow lay down. I have crash bars, so nothing on the bike was damaged other than a few scuffs on the bars. It was bound to happen eventually.
It's so annoying when that happens. At least we weren't on them when they fell! My OCD has kicked in, and I ordered a new cylinder head from BMW! I'll get the other repainted, and leave it on the shelf in case it happens again!