Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #10141
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Mine had a lay down this weekend, after rolling off the side stand, and the underneath of the cylinder is covered in scratches.
I'm in the club as well, Rich. Mine was on the side stand on a slight, I mean, very slight incline in front of my house. Got off, made sure it was stable, ran inside to grab something, came back out and me pushing open my top pannier case pushed the bike forward to a slow lay down. I have crash bars, so nothing on the bike was damaged other than a few scuffs on the bars. It was bound to happen eventually.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10142
HBRDR
Invisible Rider

Oddometer: 244
Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschulz View Post
WOW mine started acting up after i installed the BMW GPS i thought it had to do with that.. mine will not set.. it come on for just a second and goes right back off.... i was at the BMW place Friday and they could not look at it but said they have not had any calls about it.. but i could make appointment and they would look at it.... let me now what you find out.. and i will do the same
Mine started acting up on a 1500 mile trip a couple weeks ago. It kept cutting out without any brake or throttle input to cause it. It kept happening while riding with just left hand on the grip. It is still f'd up. No time to get to dealer who is 2 hours away and closed on my days off. Everything else is good.

2013 R1200GS
HBRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #10143
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Nothing sticking up from the ground that could have caused them? Hard to believe BMW wouldn't have done the minimal lay down test when designing them.
Nope. If anything, the ground was slightly sunk away from the bike where it fell. Looking at the bike in the garage, if it falls on the left side, the cylinder will touch down (admittedly, the underside of the cylinder, which is out of view) almost guaranteed, but the right side looks to be hidden behind the bars more.

Either way, I'll get these off and run the bike with head protectors for a while, unless there are some more comprehensive bars out there.
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #10144
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I'm in the club as well, Rich. Mine was on the side stand on a slight, I mean, very slight incline in front of my house. Got off, made sure it was stable, ran inside to grab something, came back out and me pushing open my top pannier case pushed the bike forward to a slow lay down. I have crash bars, so nothing on the bike was damaged other than a few scuffs on the bars. It was bound to happen eventually.
It's so annoying when that happens. At least we weren't on them when they fell! My OCD has kicked in, and I ordered a new cylinder head from BMW! I'll get the other repainted, and leave it on the shelf in case it happens again!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #10145
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,983
Quote:
It's so annoying when that happens. At least we weren't on them when they fell! My OCD has kicked in, and I ordered a new cylinder head from BMW! I'll get the other repainted, and leave it on the shelf in case it happens again!
I learned my lesson years ago. Dropped my ZRX1100 and cracked the bikini cowl. Rode it that way for the better part of a year and then decided to celebrate the arrival of spring with a brand new cowl. Bolted it on, went for a ride and promptly binned the bike, smashing the new cowl to smithereens. Luckily I had saved the old cracked cowl and on again it went. Now I just put up with scratches till it's time to sell, on an adv bike they add considerable cred at the local Starbucks.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #10146
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
What is the price of a new cilinderhead? Just curious, cause mine is scratched to (before I had the bars).

And some minor scratches on the bottom half of the cil.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 AM   #10147
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
I have to assume you guys aren't really buying new cylinder heads, but rather cylinder head COVERS, right?

01 11 12 8 532 507 VALVE COVER, GRANIT-GRAY, LEFT1.19 1 $220.87
01 11 12 8 532 508 VALVE COVER, GRANIT-GRAY, RIGHT1.19 1 $231.48
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #10148
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
What is the price of a new cilinderhead? Just curious, cause mine is scratched to (before I had the bars).

And some minor scratches on the bottom half of the cil.
Used to be around 190-200 euros (you mean the valve cover eh). I suspect it it should be around the same.

BMW keeps prices around the same for decades actually.
A fact that for me is very important, but get very easily ignored.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #10149
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Darn, yep I meant valve cover. I'm not too mechanically minded!

It should have been 140, but I paid 126.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #10150
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

From this angle it looks like you'll have to take the guards off for your valve inspection/adjustment.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #10151
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I have a set of factory engine guards and have a set of Touratech head guards that I hope will fit. If they do not I will get a set of Twisted Throttle head guards.
Quote:
I couldn't see head guards on the Twisted Throttle website.
Sorry about that Rich. It was an oversight by our web team. We have a container coming in on Thursday from SW-MOTECH. I confirmed that we have the cylinder head guards in this shipment. The part number will be MSS.07.781.10200.S. I also put in a ticket with our web team to add the part to our website by Thursday. I told them to at least get a basic page up by then. It will live in this category Bike BMW R1200GS LC '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The Twisted Throttle cylinder head guards are not on the website yet but they are in the video. If they are like there other products they will be a better quality than the Touratech guards that I bought. At some time in the future I may change out the factory engine guards for ATLriders. Many times I tend to get what is available then get a better product when it becomes available. At this time we are limited by what is released. I do have to complement Twisted Throttle for not putting the guards online until they have them available. Wunderlich has many items for sale that they have not released or even have an expected release date.
The Cylinder Head Guars incorporate a sacrificial puck and rubber dampers on the back side to help absorb the impact. Since the product page is not available here is a download the installation instructions DOWNLOAD HERE. Here are a few photos from different angles:

The container will take a few days to be unpacked and "locate" all of the products but I feel comfortable telling you that we should be able to ship these new items by the end of next week, if not sooner.

Kev
Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #10152
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Last time i had a boxer, i had the metal and plastic sacrificial covers fitted. Bike was still just about rideable after a highside on diesel..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #10153
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Why would anyone design a crashbar like that? Pretty much necessitates additional cylinder guards when the damned bars don't cover the part they're supposed to protect!?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #10154
Houseelf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
SW-Motech Cylinder Guard

I am curious if SW-MOTECH Cylinder Guard will work with BMW Crash Bars installed.
Houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #10155
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseelf View Post
I am curious if SW-MOTECH Cylinder Guard will work with BMW Crash Bars installed.
I doubt it, as the crash bars fit very close to the cylinder covers