Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #10381
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
If you see the truck there, turnaround and go elsewhere...about all you can do.
I did my share of work in filling stations back in the day. The water issue resolves itself pretty quickly. No so with sediment. I try to avoid older facilities if I can for this reason. The newer ones have plastic tanks rather than metal and they have not had as long to build up sediment. Having said that I have never had problem with sediment but with both motorcycle and car I have had problems with water.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #10382
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
If you see the truck there, turnaround and go elsewhere...about all you can do.
Because we all know from the movies they do nothing but Explode.
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #10383
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Lower Suspension Option

I just sold my '10 KTM 990 SMT on Craigslist and put a deposit down on a '14 BMW R1200GS and am considering the low suspension option. My dealer, A&S BMW, agreed to substitute a standard height seat if I ordered the low suspension. Do any of you have the factory low suspension? I would appreciate any input on this. My only dirt riding would be on dirt logging type roads. My main concern is what if any impact would the lowered suspension have on potential clearance issues between the center stand/kickstand and pavement during hard cornering? I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam and 155 lb dry weight. Note that I have no real issue with the standard height bike and can touch the ground with both feet. I just feel that the one inch lower suspension may be better suited for a street bike.
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #10384
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
I just sold my '10 KTM 990 SMT on Craigslist and put a deposit down on a '14 BMW R1200GS and am considering the low suspension option. My dealer, A&S BMW, agreed to substitute a standard height seat if I ordered the low suspension. Do any of you have the factory low suspension? I would appreciate any input on this. My only dirt riding would be on dirt logging type roads. My main concern is what if any impact would the lowered suspension have on potential clearance issues between the center stand/kickstand and pavement during hard cornering? I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam and 155 lb dry weight. Note that I have no real issue with the standard height bike and can touch the ground with both feet. I just feel that the one inch lower suspension may be better suited for a street bike.
I share you view. My test ride was on a standard height and I had the opportunity to sit on a low. If I pull the trigger, it will be on a low.
I.ve got a Yahama S10 that is a bit too tall for my liking. I'm more of a roadster guy then an adv guy....... And don't enjoy Starbucks or wear whale foreskin suits.

But I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night and ride about 20k miles/yr.

I say go with the low.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #10385
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
BMW announced this on their worldwide press page so it would be safe to assume this applies worldwide.

Edit: no assumption necessary - US press page here
Not the case in Australia, at least not yet anyway. Mine is on order and will be the 2014 build. The GPS prep option was still locked into the Dynamic package. Dealer advises ( claims) that BMW Australia decides what will and won't be included in Packages.
This annoyed me greatly... But I got over it :)
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #10386
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
Not the case in Australia, at least not yet anyway. Mine is on order and will be the 2014 build. The GPS prep option was still locked into the Dynamic package. Dealer advises ( claims) that BMW Australia decides what will and won't be included in Packages.
This annoyed me greatly... But I got over it :)
From 1 August this *should* have been the case, did you order before that date? I can't really say when I did my order last week as I ordered a UK specific TE model which comes with all options (besides alarm and spoked wheels) saving about £500.

On the other hand at least you have all the toys now.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 04:03 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #10387
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,663
Quote:
I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam and 155 lb dry weight. Note that I have no real issue with the standard height bike and can touch the ground with both feet. I just feel that the one inch lower suspension may be better suited for a street bike.
At your height you'd be nuts to get lowered suspension. Generous suspension travel is what makes these bikes special, allowing them to soak up bumps that would be jolting on standard street bikes and perform well on dirt and gravel roads. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride a Super Tenere with the seat in the high position. No issues at all.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #10388
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
At your height you'd be nuts to get lowered suspension. Generous suspension travel is what makes these bikes special, allowing them to soak up bumps that would be jolting on standard street bikes and perform well on dirt and gravel roads. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride a Super Tenere with the seat in the high position. No issues at all.
FWIW I'm 5'9 with 31" inseam and the stock height R1200GS feels like a small bike (with the seat in high position) compared to my F800GS with the comfort seat. Both feet firmly on the ground. On the 800 I'm on my toes on one side.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #10389
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I am 5'10" with 30 inseam and I never had an issue on the regular GS. I like the high-up feel and vantage point with all the trucks and SUVs on the roads in my neck of the woods, I can see better sitting higher up. I can put both feet on the ground without much trouble. The '13 is thinner in the saddle area and that helps with the inseam-challenged folk like me. It was harder to put my feet down on my '09 GS...
Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #10390
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
At your height, there's no way I'd get the low suspension. You should be plenty tall enough to ride the GS. If anything, get the lowered seat option, and you should be fine. A bike with a lowered suspension is much harder to sell later, and you'd be losing all that travel and clearance. No way dude, get the standard bike.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #10391
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,502
Learn to ride tall bikes

http://youtu.be/kRFyw57o_Ic

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #10392
2OLD4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I ordered and have the low suspension GSW. I rode regular height RTs for about 8 years (30 in inseam). The regular GS seems much taller than the RTs. I'm very happy with my choice. I ride mostly paved roads with some gravel/dirt. What I sacrifice in utility is more than made up, for me, by the confidence the lowered bike gives me when stopping and starting and even moving the bike around in the garage.
2OLD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #10393
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
At your height, there's no way I'd get the low suspension. You should be plenty tall enough to ride the GS. If anything, get the lowered seat option, and you should be fine. A bike with a lowered suspension is much harder to sell later, and you'd be losing all that travel and clearance. No way dude, get the standard bike.
+1 I same size as you I have a 2013GSW & can sit flat footed. I would not give up the suspension travel.
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #10394
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
I have a 29" inseam and cannot flat foot the low seat/low suspension model on both sides at once. It is my opinion that if you have an inseam longer than 29" you should go with the standard version unless you absolutely have to have both feet down flat on both sides. My guess is that a 30" inseam would be both feet down on the balls of the feet on both sides but a 31" inseam could probably flat foot on both sides.

I have had absolutely no clearance issues either on or off road.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #10395
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTiger800 View Post
Because we all know from the movies they do nothing but Explode.
umm, read the thread.