Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #10456
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
It can be rotated by slightly loosening the two screws on the housing which surrounds the support bar. I had the opposite issue on my 800, the mount had severe erectile dysfunction with the GPS flopping down every time I exceeded 5,000 rpm. Tightened up the two screws and it has maintained its rigidity ever since.

Wow, your dealerships out there aren't on the ball much are they? There are threads left and right full of dealerships not knowing their product...
Watch this though...

I got stuck in a wind storm and after moving mine up and back out of the way the storm kept bopping the windshield into the gps and now I have some scrapes and two little divots on the inside of the shield.

I could care less but just warning others..
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #10457
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post
yes..it is awesome
I had one on my 1150 and it cured all of the same symptoms my LC exhibits as well. Just finished installing it so I will evaluate it tomorrow morning. The installation instructions were terrible but I figured it out and took some installation pictures for anyone else contemplating the addition. Why the manufacturer didn't supply some rudimentary instructions is totally beyond me.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #10458
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
I had one on my 1150 and it cured all of the same symptoms my LC exhibits as well. Just finished installing it so I will evaluate it tomorrow morning. The installation instructions were terrible but I figured it out and took some installation pictures for anyone else contemplating the addition. Why the manufacturer didn't supply some rudimentary instructions is totally beyond me.
I installed the Booster Plug about a week ago and found the instructions more than adequate. The install is very very basic and took me about 20 minutes total. Did you go to the model specific instruction page as noted on the main page of instructions?

I haven't ridden the bike enough to give a report on an affect on MPG. But will soon. Other than that it is definitely an improvement over stock fueling although I did not have any problem with the stock setup.

Dave
Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #10459
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
Has anyone installed a Booster Plug on the LC yet?
I have one on order, it should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post how it performs once installed.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #10460
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabtklr View Post
I have one on order, it should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post how it performs once installed.
What does the booster plug do and how does it work?

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #10461
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
It tells you computer that it is 20 degrees cooler than it really is so that it will give you more fuel and run better. It eliminates the surging and inconsistent idle. Google Boosterplug, they have a website. Over 5000 BMW owners have them...
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #10462
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
I just installed one and the bike feels a lot stronger, however, it doesn't fix the surging at constant throttle, which I didn't expect that it would since it is only operational when the throttle is moving.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #10463
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:

Wow, your dealerships out there aren't on the ball much are they? There are threads left and right full of dealerships not knowing their product...
Thanks for the note on how to make this happen.
Much appreciated!
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #10464
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Do you really pay THAT much attention to your tach while riding that this is an issue of significance?? (Serious question, not trying to be a smarta$$)
I don't really pay much attention to the tach (can't really because the numbers are so small anyway), but I mention the bracket location because it doesn't seem like anyone in design thought this through before they released it.

Sometimes it's the little things that makes you go "what?".
Execution could have been better on a $20K machine, that's all.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #10465
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor1953 View Post
I don't really pay much attention to the tach (can't really because the numbers are so small anyway), but I mention the bracket location because it doesn't seem like anyone in design thought this through before they released it.

Sometimes it's the little things that makes you go "what?".
Execution could have been better on a $20K machine, that's all.
I'm with you, and am not happy about it either. I almost didn't get the navigator. I guess the taller you are the worse it is...I can still pretty much tell where the tach is pointing, but it's not ideal.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #10466
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I'm with you, and am not happy about it either. I almost didn't get the navigator. I guess the taller you are the worse it is...I can still pretty much tell where the tach is pointing, but it's not ideal.
6'2" and you are right. Not an elegant solution from BMW
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #10467
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabtklr View Post
It tells you computer that it is 20 degrees cooler than it really is so that it will give you more fuel and run better. It eliminates the surging and inconsistent idle. Google Boosterplug, they have a website. Over 5000 BMW owners have them...
Oh, that's an interesting way to do it. I thought you would give it less fuel for a lower temp as lean is power. Usually you put more fuel into an engine when it gets hotter to reduce the chance of detonation/pinging by making the mixture wetter and thus less combustible/higher flashpoint.

Not disagreeing with your or challenging how this thing works, just going thru my recollection of other mods I have done to turbo cars. 5000 happy campers can't be wrong.

2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #10468
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I just installed one and the bike feels a lot stronger, however, it doesn't fix the surging at constant throttle, which I didn't expect that it would since it is only operational when the throttle is moving.
Would you happen to know if the booster plug is a universal unit for all countries irrespective of fuel type/RON rating? In Australia we use unleaded 95 or 98 RON.

Cheers.

2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #10469
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
I will be taking delivery of my GS in October and I noticed that the GPS mount covers the top portion of the tach. What is up with that oops?

Was this a first year engineer's attempt at design because it isn't working. My dealer says that it can't be rotated and that is the way it is. What?

Has anyone got a workaround on this thing or do I get to wait for round two on the mount R&D?
"BMW engineering" = an oxymoron.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #10470
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the note on how to make this happen.
Much appreciated!
That was my comment... this was my note

Quote:
It can be rotated by slightly loosening the two screws on the housing which surrounds the support bar. I had the opposite issue on my 800, the mount had severe erectile dysfunction with the GPS flopping down every time I exceeded 5,000 rpm. Tightened up the two screws and it has maintained its rigidity ever since.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote