Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #10516
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 343
So sorry to hear of your get off. Glad you are OK. Seriously, bike can be fixed /repaired. But am glad you made it. I had a wreck long time ago (bad highside) and had no phone, isolated road and blood pouring out of my completely torn up face. Know the feeling. Still sweat when I think about it. Heal well dude and see you around.
Aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #10517
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Damn that sucks. At least you weren't injured worse.

Hope that you bike is totaled. With a broken collar bone you won't be riding anytime soon and your insurance company should foot the full bill for a new 2014 that will be worth more money down the road. Assuming your booster plug and other farkles are not insured have a buddy or a fellow inmate go remove them from you bike.

I was riding some back roads today that had tall corn on both sides right up to the road. I should have slowed down. I was going a hell of a lot faster than 35mph.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #10518
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
That had to be the longest half hour wait for the helo. Pray for a quick recovery and some (hopefully) painless nights rest.
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #10519
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
@Steelerider:

Hope you don't suffer to much cause of your accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
If EU legislation requires both DRL and headlight to be on together, why is it that EU GSWs do not operate this way? You can find plenty of pictures of EU model bikes with DRL on only and the left side controls clearly offer a headlight switch, unlike US model bikes.

Regarding US legislation on headlights being on full time on motorcycles....there is no such legislation, it is an industry agreement in the US.
For the EU it is simple. The lights still are a national regulation. The BMW complies to the car regulation since the DRL is dimmed when used with the dipped beam and then considered as parking light (same as the audi DRL on a car).
But: the GS doesn't respect the EU laws (or the laws of the countries). Germany is actually integrating a change (as most other countries here) to incorporate the DRL in the law. At the moment bikes are still obliged to run with dipped beam at all times. No mention of DRL. But the bike is however homologated in the EU to run with the DRL even though the laws don't support it yet. But, not a single country considers it as a problem and no fines have been given. So in real life the DRL (both systems) are accepted.
And it is not as if they haven't seen it. In my country at least 90% of all new GSes are sold with the DRL and the GS outsells the second most popular bike 3 to 1 at the moment.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #10520
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
First to crash a new GSW:( ?

I hit a deer this Saturday, on a rural road in a state forest in PA. Fractured collar bone, scapula and ribs 2-5. Lucky I had my phone with me, and was able to call for help. A short helo flight later and I was in the ER. My full gear saved my ass from so much more pain. The ER staff could not believe it, no lacerations at all. Sitting on the side of the road alone trying not to pass out from the pain was the longest 30 mins of my life.

My beautiful red 2013 GSW was lying there next to me with 470 miles on the clock. :( Hopefully it can be repaired, as I think it just landed on its right side. My first venture into the off road world on a (very easy to ride smooth dirt road) and a GD deer decides to jump out in front of me. I wasnt doing more than 35 mph, it was the middle of the day as well. I've been riding for 17 years, never had a crash.

Oh well. Also, I installed the booster plug, and let me tell you, it makes the bike run very smooth. Worth every penny. Please pray for my bike. Calling the insurance co today.

:(
Damn dude. So sorry to hear that. Glad you didn't get too messed up. Let me know when the bike gets fixed and I'll come up and ride with you.

Erik
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10521
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Sorry to hear of the get off ... pray for quick recovery.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #10522
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,050
Sorry to hear about your crash with a deer. Just bad luck! We can control a lot of variables to avoid crashing but deer are totally random. Soon enough you will be recovered and back on either a like new GS or a new GS.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #10523
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 849
Thanks Guys. The insurance adjuster is going to look at the bike in the next few days. We'll see what they decide. Actually, I hope the can fix her, seems to be mainly cosmetic damage on the left side, but as we all know it doesn't take much to total a BMW, with the cost of parts and all. I've been thinking how the hell I could have avoided this, I don't think I could have. It was so fast, and so random. Full gear works. So does always having a cell phone. I'm going to be getting a spot tracker as well. Thank goodness I had signal where I was.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't take deer for granted. Those forest rats are effing dangerous. It hurts like hell when you hit one. Anyway, back to what this thread is about....the awesome LC GS!
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #10524
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Thanks Guys. The insurance adjuster is going to look at the bike in the next few days. We'll see what they decide. Actually, I hope the can fix her, seems to be mainly cosmetic damage on the left side, but as we all know it doesn't take much to total a BMW, with the cost of parts and all. I've been thinking how the hell I could have avoided this, I don't think I could have. It was so fast, and so random. Full gear works. So does always having a cell phone. I'm going to be getting a spot tracker as well. Thank goodness I had signal where I was.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't take deer for granted. Those forest rats are effing dangerous. It hurts like hell when you hit one. Anyway, back to what this thread is about....the awesome LC GS!

If you do get it totaled, ask for a price to buy it back. Often you can get a great deal on a fully functional bike.

Jim

PS I might be willing to assist.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #10525
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
Here is something interesting that happened to me. I disconnected the battery when i installed the 2nd powerlet socket. As expected, the system retained the trip odometer settings, which is nice but not the interesting thing. The interesting thing was that the bike lost a calendar day in the date setting! Having cycled through the various info fields compulsively when I ride, I know it almost certainly had the correct date before I disconnected. So, I had to go into the setup and advance the day by one. I mean, it is no big deal, but just one of those head scratchers.

Anyone else had that happen?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #10526
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Here is something interesting that happened to me. I disconnected the battery when i installed the 2nd powerlet socket. As expected, the system retained the trip odometer settings, which is nice but not the interesting thing. The interesting thing was that the bike lost a calendar day in the date setting! Having cycled through the various info fields compulsively when I ride, I know it almost certainly had the correct date before I disconnected. So, I had to go into the setup and advance the day by one. I mean, it is no big deal, but just one of those head scratchers.

It's an undocumented Time Machine feature of the GSW! Amazing those Germans ;-)

I'll check mine when I get home, I recently installed a pigtail but I have the menu set to skip display of the date so I haven't noticed if it is a day behind now.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #10527
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
It's an undocumented Time Machine feature of the GSW! Amazing those Germans ;-)

I'll check mine when I get home, I recently installed a pigtail but I have the menu set to skip display of the date so I haven't noticed if it is a day behind now.
I'll be interested in what you find.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #10528
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yes, it loses date/time when you pull the battery. The time is reset to some past value. In my case the date/time was off by about 3 days.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #10529
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Yes, it loses date/time when you pull the battery. The time is reset to some past value. In my case the date/time was off by about 3 days.
Good to know.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #10530
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,940
Thumb

One good thing about the $800 Nav IV is that I don't ever have to monkey with the date and time settings, the GPS sets it automatically.
See there, worth every penny.