Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10516
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Sorry to hear of the get off ... pray for quick recovery.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #10517
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,129
Sorry to hear about your crash with a deer. Just bad luck! We can control a lot of variables to avoid crashing but deer are totally random. Soon enough you will be recovered and back on either a like new GS or a new GS.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #10518
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 935
Thanks Guys. The insurance adjuster is going to look at the bike in the next few days. We'll see what they decide. Actually, I hope the can fix her, seems to be mainly cosmetic damage on the left side, but as we all know it doesn't take much to total a BMW, with the cost of parts and all. I've been thinking how the hell I could have avoided this, I don't think I could have. It was so fast, and so random. Full gear works. So does always having a cell phone. I'm going to be getting a spot tracker as well. Thank goodness I had signal where I was.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't take deer for granted. Those forest rats are effing dangerous. It hurts like hell when you hit one. Anyway, back to what this thread is about....the awesome LC GS!
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #10519
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Thanks Guys. The insurance adjuster is going to look at the bike in the next few days. We'll see what they decide. Actually, I hope the can fix her, seems to be mainly cosmetic damage on the left side, but as we all know it doesn't take much to total a BMW, with the cost of parts and all. I've been thinking how the hell I could have avoided this, I don't think I could have. It was so fast, and so random. Full gear works. So does always having a cell phone. I'm going to be getting a spot tracker as well. Thank goodness I had signal where I was.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't take deer for granted. Those forest rats are effing dangerous. It hurts like hell when you hit one. Anyway, back to what this thread is about....the awesome LC GS!

If you do get it totaled, ask for a price to buy it back. Often you can get a great deal on a fully functional bike.

Jim

PS I might be willing to assist.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #10520
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 18,646
Here is something interesting that happened to me. I disconnected the battery when i installed the 2nd powerlet socket. As expected, the system retained the trip odometer settings, which is nice but not the interesting thing. The interesting thing was that the bike lost a calendar day in the date setting! Having cycled through the various info fields compulsively when I ride, I know it almost certainly had the correct date before I disconnected. So, I had to go into the setup and advance the day by one. I mean, it is no big deal, but just one of those head scratchers.

Anyone else had that happen?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #10521
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Here is something interesting that happened to me. I disconnected the battery when i installed the 2nd powerlet socket. As expected, the system retained the trip odometer settings, which is nice but not the interesting thing. The interesting thing was that the bike lost a calendar day in the date setting! Having cycled through the various info fields compulsively when I ride, I know it almost certainly had the correct date before I disconnected. So, I had to go into the setup and advance the day by one. I mean, it is no big deal, but just one of those head scratchers.

It's an undocumented Time Machine feature of the GSW! Amazing those Germans ;-)

I'll check mine when I get home, I recently installed a pigtail but I have the menu set to skip display of the date so I haven't noticed if it is a day behind now.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #10522
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
It's an undocumented Time Machine feature of the GSW! Amazing those Germans ;-)

I'll check mine when I get home, I recently installed a pigtail but I have the menu set to skip display of the date so I haven't noticed if it is a day behind now.
I'll be interested in what you find.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #10523
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yes, it loses date/time when you pull the battery. The time is reset to some past value. In my case the date/time was off by about 3 days.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #10524
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Yes, it loses date/time when you pull the battery. The time is reset to some past value. In my case the date/time was off by about 3 days.
Good to know.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #10525
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,479
Thumb

One good thing about the $800 Nav IV is that I don't ever have to monkey with the date and time settings, the GPS sets it automatically.
See there, worth every penny.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #10526
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 32
9K observation

i have been trying to find a place to jump in, sorry this is off-subject. i just turned 9k on my LC. i have put many miles on GSs, GSa, and 950KTM, the LC is a very good moto.
Most positive observations have been made so i won't add to the volume. i am not shy about the throttle, i enjoy both the twisties, and i use it off-pave approx 25%. 75% is 2-up. My overall fuel milage since new is 52mpg. That is impressive for the type of riding i do. Mine came with Metezler Next, i am/was a Metezler fan; the Next rear was at the wear bars at 4500 miles, i normally get 8000 miles on Tourance rears, the front was not good. I replaced with Conti TA2, judging by 3500 miles of wear, i expect 8-9000 miles, and they are much better on road and off. What were you thinking Metezler?
This is a big question, and the only issue that i have had, (except those silly tyres)...at 3000 miles i began to notice a faint noise from the rear. It has increased and now you can feel a sort of bind in the drive, esp when you get off throttle, or going over rough, somewhat loud. Feels like going over a rumble strip for several seconds then stops. My dealer checked the drive and said the rear U-joint is stiff, showed it to me, and indeed it doesn't flop like U-joints do when you rotate. He is going to replace the drive-shaft. Has anyone had similer????
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #10527
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,479
New u-joints are generally pretty tight, not what I'd call "stiff", but with 9k miles they should be good and worn in by now and be floppy.
There have been the occasional u-joint problems on past GS's and I wouldn't expect the drive-shaft assembly on the GSW to be a much different design.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #10528
DiabloTejano
b00b t00b d00d

Oddometer: 10
u joint buzz

When I test rode the GSW, I noticed that when I let off the throttle at highway speeds that the engine buzzed a lot and did not provide the engine braking I am used to on my 09 GS. could that be what you are talking about?
also on an unrelated matter, do any of you GSW owners have a problem with the side stand nub getting in the way of your foot while shifting? or do you get used to it? in the test ride I kept missing my up shifts because of that thing.

DiabloTejano screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:56 PM
DiabloTejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #10529
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
One good thing about the $800 Nav IV is that I don't ever have to monkey with the date and time settings, the GPS sets it automatically.
See there, worth every penny.

Jim
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #10530
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloTejano View Post
When I test rode the GSW, I noticed that when I let off the throttle at highway speeds that the engine buzzed a lot and did not provide the engine braking I am used to on my 09 GS. could that be what you are talking about?
also on an unrelated matter, do any of you GSW owners have a problem with the side stand nub getting in the way of your foot while shifting? or do you get used to it? in the test ride I kept missing my up shifts because of that thing.

Not an owner, but the new clutch is a wet clutch, and appears to be like a semi-slipper. So you wont get the on/off power of the Hexhead. As for the nub, at least one guy just cut it off.

Jim