Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #10966
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Yes, to a certain degree. Preload is not adjustable beyond the pre-programmed settings (rider, rider+pillion, rider+bags! rider+pillion+bags) but you could measure the sag with you on it (ESA set to single rider) so to have a baseline so to speak. Then change the ESA settings and take additional measurements to help you gain a further understanding as to the changes in the bike's sag. If you're close to the supposed ideal rider weight of 170lbs you might not have much to be concerned with.
My 13 GSW has 3 ESA preloads :

1 Helmet
1 Helmet + Luggage
2 Helmets

I do not see a 2 Helmet + Luggage option, nor would I want to, I can barely flatfoot on the 2 Helmet setting.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #10967
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
My 13 GSW has 3 ESA preloads :

1 Helmet
1 Helmet + Luggage
2 Helmets

I do not see a 2 Helmet + Luggage option, nor would I want to, I can barely flatfoot on the 2 Helmet setting.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #10968
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,452
The intake honk on this bike is quite something... much louder than my 1150GS, and not in a bad way.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #10969
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTiger800 View Post
What I mean if you take the same bike, set at single rider, with one rider at 100 lb more than the other. When one rider sits on the bike will the ESA set the correct "sag" or prelaod for each rider?
Thanks
The ESA will provide some degree of variance in each of the settings using the readings from the height sensors to level the bike to an extent. However, if you have it on single rider mode and load it up, the bike will simply sag down as the full load will be outside the parameters of that setting. Likewise if you are riding alone with the 2-up + luggage setting, the ride still will be spine-snappingly firm. The settings give an average baseline which is then fine tuned by the ESA. Because it is semi-active (not fully active) you still need to tell it where to start.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #10970
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
The ESA will provide some degree of variance in each of the settings using the readings from the height sensors to level the bike to an extent. However, if you have it on single rider mode and load it up, the bike will simply sag down as the full load will be outside the parameters of that setting. Likewise if you are riding alone with the 2-up + luggage setting, the ride still will be spine-snappingly firm. The settings give an average baseline which is then fine tuned by the ESA. Because it is semi-active (not fully active) you still need to tell it where to start.
I guess what I'm also asking is when I get the bike is there a manual setting to start with so the ESA will have a starting point with me on it. Or is that point the same no matter who sits on it.
Thanks
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #10971
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
I guess what I'm also asking is when I get the bike is there a manual setting to start with so the ESA will have a starting point with me on it. Or is that point the same no matter who sits on it.
Thanks
Not manual - you choose the appropriate setting with the button according to what you're loading on the bike (you, you with luggage, or you + pillion + with or without luggage). The ESA sorts out everything else based on information the computer receives from the various sensors.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #10972
larryscustomcycles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Thanks
The baseline is the same no matter who sits on it. No matter if you are 50kg or 150kg.
larryscustomcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #10973
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Not manual - you choose the appropriate setting with the button according to what you're loading on the bike (you, you with luggage, or you + pillion + with or without luggage). The ESA sorts out everything else based on information the computer receives from the various sensors.
OK Thanks.
I got that part. I was wondering if there was an initial set up for an individual rider. I guess not. It looks like it is all in the ESA.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #10974
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryscustomcycles View Post
The baseline is the same no matter who sits on it. No matter if you are 50kg or 150kg.
Yes - a baseline is just that, a constant. The ESA will then adjust +/- a predetermined range to compensate for variances in weight within each setting. The baseline is 90kg for the single rider setting, if I remember correctly. If a 50kg rider sits on the bike the height sensor will then report to the computer that the bike is too high and it will adjust within the range for the setting. But if a 200kg rider sits, the bike would not be able to compensate sufficiently in the single rider setting and the rider would need to choose a firmer setting such as the 2-up + luggage setting.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #10975
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

So to change the baseline you have to change the spring?
I'm 205 lb so I will be a little on the heavy side.
Time to get the mountain bike out.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #10976
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Actually that's about the baseline for on up.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #10977
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Yes - a baseline is just that, a constant. The ESA will then adjust +/- a predetermined range to compensate for variances in weight within each setting. The baseline is 90kg for the single rider setting, if I remember correctly. If a 50kg rider sits on the bike the height sensor will then report to the computer that the bike is too high and it will adjust within the range for the setting. But if a 200kg rider sits, the bike would not be able to compensate sufficiently in the single rider setting and the rider would need to choose a firmer setting such as the 2-up + luggage setting.
I'm curious as to where you obtained your information from, i was not aware that the preload was adjusted by anything but the rider settings (no automation beyond that), specifically the part about the bike's preload being automatically adjusted for differences in weight, even if only within a "predetermined range." I'm not speaking about the suspension's automated damping capabilities but the preload adjustments that you mention above. Thanks!

The excerpt below was taken from an article found at Ash on Bikes, the link is also supplied,

"The spring rate adjustment is not a part of the semi-active element of DDC, this is adjusted as in ESA II according to the base setting chosen by the rider. It isn't possible using existing technology to adjust the spring rate quickly enough for a semi-active system."

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/bm...suspension-ddc
Old 10-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #10978
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I'm curious as to where you obtained your information from, i was not aware that the preload was adjusted by anything but the rider settings (no automation beyond that), specifically the part about the bike's preload being automatically adjusted for differences in weight, even if only within a "predetermined range." I'm not speaking about the suspension's automated damping capabilities but the preload adjustments that you mention above. Thanks!

The excerpt below was taken from an article found at Ash on Bikes, the link is also supplied,

"The spring rate adjustment is not a part of the semi-active element of DDC, this is adjusted as in ESA II according to the base setting chosen by the rider. It isn't possible using existing technology to adjust the spring rate quickly enough for a semi-active system."

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/bm...suspension-ddc
Thanks for pointing that out, Oalvarez. I was following the explanations above and nobody was pointing out that the new ESA settings were still split between the spring and then compression/rebound damping.

The Rider, Rider+Luggage and 2 Riders settings are all Preload settings cranked into the Springs....none of that can happen on the fly. Since Preload and Rebound go hand in hand, there could be some adjustments to rebound when you change the Rider/luggage settings. However, that may be primarily on the old ESA like my 2012.

The new system would change all damping settings on the fly...as its moving and reacting, valving is being opened/closed to speed up or slow down damping.

At least that is my understand. IMO, it sounds awesome and is getting great rider reports and reviews from everybody, it also sounds like there is too much fiddling. Can I just get on and ride? :)

I'm a fan of ESA - love adjusting preload for me or the wife and me, etc. The damping rates work quite well for my weight and wife's weight. Guess I'm lucky there.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #10979
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Where is the Tire Pressure Monitor "brain" located on our bikes?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #10980
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Where is the Tire Pressure Monitor "brain" located on our bikes?
Under the passenger seat. About 3.5" long and 2" wide held in place by 2 screws.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote