Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #11281
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Anyone know where the plugin points are for throttle syncing are, looks like RH one is just behind throttle body in the head but cannot see anything on the LH side. Have one pipe discolouring more than the other so just want to check.

Bill
Throttle sync? Don't know that you can. It's a fly by wire bike. No cables to adjust. No idle air bypass screws. That said...

There are two tubes that go to the right side head near the throttle body and one that goes to the left side head. I assume that one of the two on the right is to purge the US mounted evap canister. Don't know what the other left and right tubes are for (or where they go). They could be what you are looking for.

marchyman screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 09:57 PM
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #11282
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Throttle sync? Don't know that you can. It's a fly by wire bike. No cables to adjust. No idle air bypass screws. That said...

There are two tubes that go to the right side head near the throttle body and one that goes to the left side head. I assume that one of the two on the right is to purge the US mounted evap canister. Don't know what the other left and right tupes are for (or where they go). They could be what you are looking for.
Good point, hadn't thought about that. One less thing to adjust unless you have the BMW computer I guess.

Thanks

Bill
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #11283
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Good point, hadn't thought about that. One less thing to adjust unless you have the BMW computer I guess.

Thanks

Bill
Throttles are synced automatically by the computer on the GSW.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #11284
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #11285
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
I believe they cycle through the full range of motion during the self-check when you switch on the key to calibrate/sync the stepper motors... However, my dealership mentioned they require recalibration every (I believe) 24,000 miles which is done by connecting to the BMW service computer... I can ask next Saturday when it’s in to service the exhaust flap mechanism...

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #11286
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

There are two tubes that go to the right side head near the throttle body and one that goes to the left side head. I assume that one of the two on the right is to purge the US mounted evap canister. Don't know what the other left and right tubes are for (or where they go). They could be what you are looking for.
Those two tubes are for making swirl in the intake air,
one of the things that improve the combustion and make them get rid of the secondary spark-plug.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #11287
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I believe they cycle through the full range of motion during the self-check when you switch on the key to calibrate/sync the stepper motors... However, my dealership mentioned they require recalibration every (I believe) 24,000 miles which is done by connecting to the BMW service computer... I can ask next Saturday when it’s in to service the exhaust flap mechanism...
My exhaust flap was found seized up on my 18k service. Had it replaced today, complete new exhaust pipes fitted as flap valve itself is not serviceable.
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #11288
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
My exhaust flap was found seized up on my 18k service. Had it replaced today, complete new exhaust pipes fitted as flap valve itself is not serviceable.
Good to know, but not sure why you quoted the post that you did...two separate issues.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #11289
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Good to know, but not sure why you quoted the post that you did...two separate issues.
Good point, sorry about that
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #11290
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
Did they replace the end can, or the whole system, with headers?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #11291
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Did they replace the end can, or the whole system, with headers?
The headers upto, but not including, the silencer. Not sure why it has changed from previous models where the exhaust flap was removable as a separate unit??
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #11292
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
GSWC frame redesign for 2014?

Anyone aware of a frame redesign for the 2014 model? Recently spoke to a buddy with a 2013 WC GS that had his upper fork cross brace/handle bars end up in his hands (not attached to the bike) after the steering head part of the frame failed and the upper fork brace came out. Showed me a pic of the steering head tube after failure and how thin it is where the bearing goes in. He's getting a new frame from BMW and I understand it's redesigned, although maybe for the dampener or something else - haven't confirmed the redesign is to address the weakness he experienced.

Granted, he rides his bikes hard...
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #11293
filterwrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Anyone aware of a frame redesign for the 2014 model? Recently spoke to a buddy with a 2013 WC GS that had his upper fork cross brace/handle bars end up in his hands (not attached to the bike) after the steering head part of the frame failed and the upper fork brace came out. Showed me a pic of the steering head tube after failure and how thin it is where the bearing goes in. He's getting a new frame from BMW and I understand it's redesigned, although maybe for the dampener or something else - haven't confirmed the redesign is to address the weakness he experienced.

Photos of this failure would be highly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!
filterwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #11294
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post

Was he jumping?

The 2014 frame is a different part number, but I haven't read anything about whether there are any other changes aside from the lower front where the crash bars are attached (the new damper attaches to the A-arm).
Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #11295
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Was he jumping?
Not sure if he has on the GSWC, but here he is at Overland Expo AZ in 2012 on a Rawhide provided bike:

and on his previous GSA:

I heard today from another GSWC owner/buddy I work with, after I told him about it and he asked a contact at the dealer about this issue, that another guy may have suffered the same or similar steering head issue, and that the redesign sounds like it addressed this weakness. I'll get more detailed info and pics and post up later...

azgsa screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 11:55 PM
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote