Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #1381
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
You have to remember the Gs range is the biggest seller and it isn't to bmw fanatics either. Most of the owners are new to bmw and only bought in after the 1200 was released. More than likely because it was a modern bike. They aren't making these bikes for the fans of the 1100. They are for possibly a completely different group and 1200 owners.
Why would anybody think a water pump could be so unreliable you wouldn't buy a bike with one? Do you own a car, because that has one. You have far more to worry about an oil pump failing and the 1200 has 2 of them.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #1382
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

The cylinder supposedly doesn't have a water jacket. Note the pipe across the top of the cylinder to bring coolant to the head which is jacketed. Some of the fins may not be fake.
Very interesting picture! If it is true that the cylinders do not have a water jacket, that would imply that oil cooling is still a major component in engine cooling...maybe evan more that the 1200??. It will be curious to see if they have separate oil and water radiators or do like the are on the F800 and have a oil/water heat exchanger to cool the oil and a single radiator.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #1383
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
There isn't a huge amount of heat in the cylinders in comparison to the heads but given there aren't any fins at all on the back I would say there must be water in the cylinders. If there wasn't then the front would be far cooler than the back leading to distortion. Difficult to say for sure though. Its also possible that they are wet liners so if anything went wrong or wore out the liner could be replaced instead of the whole crankcase set.
Good picture though, got one with a front view?
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1384
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
The German magazines write about a cooling for the head area and especially the exhaust valve area. MOTORRAD used the word collar. The graphic may be still a bit "unsharp" at this point of time.
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1385
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
You have to remember the Gs range is the biggest seller and it isn't to bmw fanatics either. Most of the owners are new to bmw and only bought in after the 1200 was released. More than likely because it was a modern bike. They aren't making these bikes for the fans of the 1100. They are for possibly a completely different group and 1200 owners.
Why would anybody think a water pump could be so unreliable you wouldn't buy a bike with one? Do you own a car, because that has one. You have far more to worry about an oil pump failing and the 1200 has 2 of them.
Ever looked at a water pump for a bike versus a car? Much shorter life spans...and oh yeah I have owned quite a few bikes that were water cooled I have a 2009 Jeep Rubicon that has already had the water pump replaced at 40K. I just appreciate the not having to worry about a WP failure, a split hose or a damaged radiator. Just eliminates possible problems...I bought my 1200 before my 1150s. I don't know anyone that cannot appreciate both.I have never owned a 1100 GS but I maintain a friend of mines 96 R1100GS and I have rode it. Solid machine but a bit under powered for my liking
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #1386
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
read this review that reveals this whole liquid cooled nonsense to be driven by enviro-weenies wanting less emissions and to meet "Euro 5 standards" (as if the EU will even continue to exist):
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1250gs-preview-91202.html
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #1387
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
read this review that reveals this whole liquid cooled nonsense to be driven by enviro-weenies wanting less emissions and to meet "Euro 5 standards" http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1250gs-preview-91202.html
This appears to be the extent of the revealed nonsense:
Quote:
Liquid-cooling allows a quicker warm-up time, reducing critical post-start-up emissions, while also lowering operating temps. This will help achieve stricter Euro 5 standards slated to begin in 2015 ... [though] BMW still hasn’t officially recognized this bike or these photos
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #1388
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
ead this review that reveals this whole liquid cooled nonsense to driven by enviro-weenies wanting less emissions and to meet "Euro 5 standards" (as if the EU will even continue to exist):
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1250gs-preview-91202.html
I don't disagree but ultimately I believe people buying in this price range simply want modern technology and air cooling is not.
Me too like my current camhead but it is what it is. I want more.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #1389
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I don't disagree but ultimately I believe people buying in this price range simply want modern technology and air cooling is not.
It might be time for you to test ride the Multistrada if you need that much 'more'. Or look into aftermarket mods (1270cc Max upgrades). Lennie's sprockets or the 3.0 final drive ratio.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #1390
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
+1 I want more too. NOW NOW NOW WHERE IS THE NEW BIKE. Let's go BMW let's see that pig
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #1391
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
It might be time for you to test ride the Multistrada if you need that much 'more'. Or look into aftermarket mods (1270cc Max upgrades). Lennie's sprockets or the 3.0 final drive ratio.
Naah, no Ducati for a 6'7" German giant
I'm sure you're right about the mods.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #1392
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
I'm with you on the Ducati-sized sentiment. Love the bikes, wish they came with a more generous sized cockpit.

I don't have any history with any of the mods, but Lennie's has me thinking twice about it on the GS. The 1270cc / 3.0 stuff from Max is interesting in their thread. . I'd be very curious to test ride the result and hear about longevity.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #1393
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Quote:
I don't know what bike insurance is like in BC where you live, but over here in Ontario, most bike insurance companies will not insure Ducati's and the few that do, bring some vaseline with you... I thought the MTS1200 might be my next bike till I got an insurance quote... a high of $4500 to a low of $2500 / year. Ducati's are considered "supersport".. Thieves

You're right, the MTS12 is not a bike for a tall guy.

Btw, unless something's changed since it's been told to Canadian dealers, expect the waterboxer in dealer showrooms this fall. We'll see.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #1394
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I don't know what bike insurance is like in BC where you live, but over here in Ontario, most bike insurance companies will not insure Ducati's and the few that do, bring some vaseline with you... I thought the MTS1200 might be my next bike till I got an insurance quote... a high of $4500 to a low of $2500 / year. Ducati's are considered "supersport".. Thieves
You're right, the MTS12 is not a bike for a tall guy.
Btw, unless something's changed since it's been told to Canadian dealers, expect the waterboxer in dealer showrooms this fall. We'll see.
That seems a bit too much money for insurance, here in BC it's a provincially run system (no competition) but I'd highly doubt you'd have to pay anything close to this if you've been a reasonable rider for a while...

I love Ducati but after test riding the MTS1200 I wasn't impressed with the details and the engine, although powerful didn't impress me (not smooth from low rpm's).
I'd expect the R1250LC GS in Canada by 2013 and not before, let the Germans in Germany test it first or give
it to Greek and Italians first (for 30% of list price)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #1395
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
It seems versions with up to 150 hp are planned, albeit not as a GS but more a Touring-Supermoto, similar to the Multiblabla.

Some years back I thought that KTM would be the toughest future competitor to BMW. Now it's Ducati and Triumph.
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote