Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,576
Regarding Apple compatibility: for modern Macs, it'll run under Parallels, which costs $40-50. (You also need Windows, of course, but I'm sure you can find an old XP install disk floating around somewhere....)

Parallels w/ XP also will run BMW's Windows-only RepRoms.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Talking with Stephan, Apple/Mac refuses to code share without a hefty fee. For the 10% of the market that wan't it, it isn't worth it financially. Simple economics. As for old aps, when the system was designed Palm and others did exist, and share code for free.

By the way, why don't you guys check out his web site? All this info is there!

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
... which must be amortized over a fairly small number of devices sold. It ain't your iPod, sold in gabazilions, with engineering content being nil...
haha. engineer much?...
Yes. Much. For living.

The point of my note was that a consumer device like iPod can amortize engineering by sheer volume - the design and development content per unit sold is nil - well, almost.

This is in stark contrast to a niche device sold in very low quantities. The development component is very high here.

Doing my own work in niche markets, I am quite accustomed to accusations of ripoff. Frequently, a client will ask for a highly specialized one-off device - all the while expecting to pay just for the cost of parts.
It's actually getting worse nowadays, simply because the components are fewer and smaller and thus a product containing just a few chips does not "feel expensive".

In reality, we are all spoiled by the incredibly low cost of mass-produced consumer gadgets. Few of us even stop to contemplate how is it possible for a $25 DVD player to not only be designed and manufactured, but also approved by regulatory agencies, shipped, warehoused and sold.

That is why specialty product manufactures have an uphill battle. Just look at this message thread: posts here complain of cost, complain of limited features, of not paying Apple royalty to support their platform. No appreciation of the task accomplished - after all, if it was so easy, there would be alternatives to GS-911.

Oh, well...

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 02:11 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
TeamReader
Lee

Oddometer: 76
Apple developer costs

From what I have seen, Apple charges $99 per year for iOS developers and then 30% of what ever you decide to charge for your App. Is there more than that needed to develop Apps for the iPhone, iPad? Apple handle the transaction for the sale of your app, credit card fees, etc. And send you your money.

Is there more to it?
2008 R1200GS with a ton of farkles
TeamReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReader View Post
From what I have seen, Apple charges $99 per year for iOS developers and then 30% of what ever you decide to charge for your App. ... Is there more to it?
Ok, so let me get this straight. This thread is a piss-fest about how expensive the GS-911 is.

But: you would gladly pay another 30% more if it would display on your iPhone. Am I right?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
TeamReader
Lee

Oddometer: 76
Never mentioned any opinion about 911 cost

I havent said anything about the 911 cost, I own one and had to get a pocket windows thing to make it work. that said, I would rather use my iPhone than the windows thing, or even a Palm device.

You say that it would cost 30% more to put the software on iOS, so what, it's cheaper and easier than having to carry an out dated window or palm pocket device around as well as the iPhone.

My question is, why not put it on the iOS devices? is it the Apple commission? A technical requirement that hasnt been explained? The developer hates Apple? or what?
2008 R1200GS with a ton of farkles
TeamReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Ok, so let me get this straight. This thread is a piss-fest about how expensive the GS-911 is.

But: you would gladly pay another 30% more if it would display on your iPhone. Am I right?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #23
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,451
The price for GS911 is whatever market can bear. They have no competition. To use the iPhone example, an unlocked one will cost you something like $600, while a similar iPod Touch iwill be $300. The difference between the two is in GSM chip, I doubt it costs more than $5.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,627
I bought one of the first GS-911, when they came out. Back in the days, I paid something around $450 or even less. Today's price for a bluetooth version runs $549.

I don't understand how one can spend $10-20K on a BMW motorcycle, but quibbles over $500 for an excellent tool. One successful diagnoses can easily pay for the device. Plus, the convenience of doing it at home.

Besides, Stephan and his team are doing a superb support job. I don't mind paying money for a good product, continuous development and good service.

Walmart mentality cannot be applied to technology ...in my book anyway.

TomTom63 screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 03:52 PM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #25
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
The price for GS911 is whatever market can bear. They have no competition.
While it is true that price of ANYTHING is whatever the market will bear, you should consider that there may be a reason why there is no competition. Apparently, Hex is doing something unique and probably not very profitable. If it was that easy, with money to make, there would be competitors.

Hex stands out because of the engineering, not because of complex web of lawsuits or end-user restrictions.

Anyone believing he is being ripped off is welcome to correct this by creating a competing product.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #26
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReader View Post
From what I have seen, Apple charges $99 per year for iOS developers and then 30% of what ever you decide to charge for your App. Is there more than that needed to develop Apps for the iPhone, iPad? Apple handle the transaction for the sale of your app, credit card fees, etc. And send you your money.

Is there more to it?
I think the real issue is the fact that the software was written in java (thus the jsr spec requirement). IPhone is Objective-c, it is a new language to learn. Hexcode is a very small shop.

Yes it would be great to run on a Mac or an iPhone (from a marketing point of view, it makes sense). However, the developer has chosen to perfect the software base he has. For a small shop, this is a very wise decision. Developer resources in any company are finite.

I am a complete Apple convert. I am writing this on my new 15.4" MBP on Snow Leopard. I am actually a Microsoft Developer, have been developing software with or on Microsoft technologies now for 30 years (holy crap). I do run Fusion and have a couple of images to do my "Microsoft Stuff" with, so I'm OK with the lack of Mac support. Obviously, I would be elated if I could run the thing on my iPhone (and there is a way around the Bluetooth issues that has been brought up, I did send my ideas to hexcode on this), but I am more interested in the fact that I can do ALL of my Beemer maintenance by myself without having to rely on the dealer.

The GS911 will pay for itself (IMHO) within a year by staying away from the dealer. I bet you could even a cheap Netbook somewhere (since they no longer sell due to the iPad ;-) that could run the software.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,769
There is absolutely no reason for anyone to buy the GS-911 with all of its limitations. Just take your bike to the authorized BMW dealer and hand over $350 - $500 every 6k miles so they can reset the service light.

Or buy an inferior GS-911 and don't.

Personally, my GS-911 as well as my MAC, PC and phone are tools. They're all good as long as they do the job I need them to do.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #28
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
It's probably not a big market being the cheap bastards us BMW owners seem to be! We only want the GS911 to avoid paying the dealer their outrageous fees so of course we want this device on the cheap too!

Isn't there a multi-vin version of the GS911 that a local club or group could buy and share or is it not "shareware"?

Now, if there were an iPhone app for it, I'd gladly fork up $50 for an app and another $40 or so for a cable to interface it as long as I don't have to carry around or keep up with yet another device!

There will eventually be a crAPP for everything!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #29
homeontherange
Ochlophobiac

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63 View Post
I don't understand how one can spend $10-20K on a BMW motorcycle, but quibbles over $500 for an excellent tool.
+100, same for oil, oil filters, tires yadda,yadda...
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #30
JurgenB
daily rider

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
It's probably not a big market being the cheap bastards us BMW owners seem to be! We only want the GS911 to avoid paying the dealer their outrageous fees so of course we want this device on the cheap too!

Isn't there a multi-vin version of the GS911 that a local club or group could buy and share or is it not "shareware"?

Now, if there were an iPhone app for it, I'd gladly fork up $50 for an app and another $40 or so for a cable to interface it as long as I don't have to carry around or keep up with yet another device!

There will eventually be a crAPP for everything!

RobStar
The software is not shareware - you have to be a registered owner AND have the unit hooked to your computer to download the software.
There is a Pro version for unlimited VINs but as a shared unit for a club it will work only if the phone/laptop can also be shared. As many PPs stated, the software is the key to the GS-911's success that's why they are not sharing the software freely so you cannot simply load the software on anybody's laptop or phone. It might work with a club account - I suggest you check with Ted Porter on this.

Regarding the IPhone, Apple apparently requires Hexcode to put a proprietary hardware chip into the unit that will allow it to talk to an IPhone. This is hugely expensive and simply is not feasible in their economics.

Hexcode does an OUTSTANDING job at customer service - they have been working with me on a Blackberry issue where every other software house would have said "sorry, with that old phone you're out of luck".
I have used the GS-911 several times resetting low brake fluid codes after flushing the brakes and just for that, it paid for itself. Several of my friends watched me use it and immediately decided to buy one themselves.
2004 R1150GS ADV parked in Heidelberg

JurgenB screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 08:41 PM
JurgenB is offline   Reply With Quote