Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,300
Let me see if I understand this thread. You get a TeePee. You put a stove inside it. You go camping in the Winter. And somehow you connect this to motorcycling? I have to try this, so people will stop saying I'm crazy for riding a motorcycle.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
quick question, what type of material is that you're using? Is the second piece, the square part, just a flap? IE will it cover the hole if you're not using the stove?

I see you have the exhaust straight up, wouldn't heavy rain pretty much put out the stove or at the least cause a lot of smoke once it hits the burning wood?
Yes, the square part is just a flap and covers the hole if you're not using the stove. I looked around for fireproof material and was close to trying a welding blanket, but was able to buy this material from TiGoat, as I mentioned before.

As far as rain making it down the pipe, it can happen. A slight angle on the pretty small pipe can prevent that in all but really heavy rains though as the pipe gets really hot and rain hits the sides and evaporates pretty nicely. For sure it can happen though but it hasn't happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Let me see if I understand this thread. You get a TeePee. You put a stove inside it. You go camping in the Winter. And somehow you connect this to motorcycling? I have to try this, so people will stop saying I'm crazy for riding a motorcycle.
Oh, naysayer, it's the size and weight of the tipi and stove that connects it to motorcycling. No, I don't ride and tent in the snow and ice. But I have been motorcycle camping when I wanted some heat in the tent. That's a good enough connection for me. It's advrider. I had to connect it up somehow...

You don't have to try it, I'm just sharing an idea dude

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post

Oh, naysayer, it's the size and weight of the tipi and stove that connects it to motorcycling. No, I don't ride and tent in the snow and ice. But I have been motorcycle camping when I wanted some heat in the tent. That's a good enough connection for me. It's advrider. I had to connect it up somehow...

You don't have to try it, I'm just sharing an idea dude

Good on you for getting out there and doing it.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,605
Quote:
Yes, the square part is just a flap and covers the hole if you're not using the stove. I looked around for fireproof material and was close to trying a welding blanket, but was able to buy this material from TiGoat, as I mentioned before.
How much was your patch kit? Any idea what it was made out of? I see them for sale for big bucks and I can't for the life of me understand why. some of these small patch kits are $80, I have tents and sleeping bags that don't cost that.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
"But I had tent envy..."

Thanks. You've RUINED my day. Now I need ANOTHER tent!

Seriously, I'll be curious to hear what you think is the minimum size (footprint) tepee required so that melting sleeping bags etc. isn't an issue. Thanks for sharing

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #22
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Are your socks wet or something?...
Well, I have a camper that I use for hunting in the winter for a few weeks, summer family vacations. I have been going to Colorado for the past couple of years on the bike, I'd like to try a base camp deal once. Stay in Taylor Park and let my 13year old ride for a couple of weeks. Take the family. My wife is a baby out doors and wouldn't like it without amenities. It'd take $1500 to drag the camper out and back. So...
what if I got a 12x12 easy up with walls. Cots, table, chairs and a stove. She'd be warm at night. Heck, she ain't gonna leave Virginia anyway. She'll only leave the country to go to Myrtle Beach.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 07:18 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
Gordon T
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Nice project. Just a thought though, how do you transport the flue pipe with you? Is it telescopic?
Gordon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #24
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
How much was your patch kit? Any idea what it was made out of? I see them for sale for big bucks and I can't for the life of me understand why. some of these small patch kits are $80, I have tents and sleeping bags that don't cost that.
I bought a 3'x5' piece of this fabric from TiGoat for $44 shipped. I only used about 1' x 18". Could have bought a lot less. They'll sell you whatever you need. IDK what the stuff is. I fished around for fireproof fabric all over the web and was about to settle on a welding blanket material but then found this. It was cheaper and since they use it for stove boots, I knew it would work. It's kind of weird stuff. Not that thick, kind of like denim, but coated in a sort of silicon material. I couldn't find it anywhere else but I guess there must be another source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Well, I have a camper that I use for hunting in the winter for a few weeks, summer family vacations. I have been going to Colorado for the past couple of years on the bike, I'd like to try a base camp deal once. Stay in Taylor Park and let my 13year old ride for a couple of weeks. Take the family. My wife is a baby out doors and wouldn't like it without amenities. It'd take $1500 to drag the camper out and back. So...
what if I got a 12x12 easy up with walls. Cots, table, chairs and a stove. She'd be warm at night. Heck, she ain't gonna leave Virginia anyway. She'll only leave the country to go to Myrtle Beach.
Sounds good to me. Check out this site:
http://www.walltentshop.com/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon T View Post
Nice project. Just a thought though, how do you transport the flue pipe with you? Is it telescopic?
The pipe is one of the coolest things. It's actually a piece of ss rolled into a cylinder. Those orange things are steel wire rings that hold the cylinder in that shape. When you are transporting it, it simply rolls up in the other direction making a tube that's 2" x 12". Pretty damned clever.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s

hppyfngy screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 09:08 AM
Old 02-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #25
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,708
I was just looking at these yesterday and was thinking I need another tent. Good job on the mod!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Thanks. With the deal I got on the SL4, it was hard to beat but any tarp or tipi type tent will do. Some rain flys would work...

hmmm

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
How dirty is that stove after you use it for a while. Do you have to do some cleanup before you pack it away. I imagine the chimny tube would be full of black soot when you tear it down.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman View Post
How dirty is that stove after you use it for a while. Do you have to do some cleanup before you pack it away. I imagine the chimny tube would be full of black soot when you tear it down.
You can clean it as much or as little as you want really.

Yes the chimney is covered in soot, but you just roll it back up on itself in the other orientation and the soot is still on the inside. The stove itself is not that sooty, but you can wipe down the ash or leave it alone. It comes with gloves primarily to keep you from cutting yourself on the edges of the ss pipe, but they also keep your hands clean.

(The pipe has sharp edges and until it gets it's shape "tempered in" it can be a little tricky to handle if you've never done it before.)

The whole thing has its neat little carrying case that contains whatever mess you leave. It's not bad.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Kifaru rocks I have a ST and small stove and love waking up and watching the coffee perk
Balootraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
I like it!

Just got a GoLite SL5 myself, which more or less is the SL4 renamed, since GL is having their annual 40% off sale. Good lord this thing has a TON of room!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote