Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I like it!

Just got a GoLite SL5 myself, which more or less is the SL4 renamed, since GL is having their annual 40% off sale. Good lord this thing has a TON of room!
Damn! I think SL-5 is a little taller than the 4.

Where did you get 40% off an SL-5? I might need one of those too...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,771
To the OP: That material that they sent to you, it looks very close to some of the materials that my company( the company I work for), actually makes. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a silicone coated fiberglass fabric. Did it have a rubbery feel to it??

If it is what I think it is, it's not actually fireproof...it is just high temperature resistant...again, if it is what I think it is, that temperature is 500 F. Just to be on the safe side, I'd try to get a temperature of the exhaust piping(chimney) right where it touches the fabric...should be consistent with in a couple inches. Obviously, check when hot.

If you can get a weight on a scrap piece, I can see what we have that is equivalent..in case you need more....just for the cost of shipping. 1" X 1" piece, weight in grams if you can. I can convert it to typical standards based on that.

Nice idea though...great to see DIY excellence at work.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #33
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

DougZ, I misspoke, I didn't mean to say it was fireproof, although originally I was looking for fireproof material. I'm pretty certain this is not. And yes it has a rubbery feel to it.

Check your pm please.

Oh, and thanks for the recommendation to check the temp of the pipe. I haven't done it yet. The material was purchased from TiGoat and they use it for stove boots so I feel sure it's okay, but it sure wouldn't be fun to catch your tent on fire.

BTW, I've already burned the stove pretty hot and no damage to the fabric so far. I will definitely check it though.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!

hppyfngy screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 12:06 PM
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
DougZ, I misspoke, I didn't mean to say it was fireproof, although originally I was looking for fireproof material. I'm pretty certain this is not. And yes it has a rubbery feel to it.

Check your pm please.

Oh, and thanks for the recommendation to check the temp of the pipe. I haven't done it yet. The material was purchased from TiGoat and they use it for stove boots so I feel sure it's okay, but it sure wouldn't be fun to catch your tent on fire.

BTW, I've already burned the stove pretty hot and no damage to the fabric so far. I will definitely check it though.
No problem. PM replied.

This winter camping idea is interesting. Those little fold up stoves seem interesting...with the "chimney" included, how small does it actually pack down??

I have seen "winter" tents...what is the difference between those and a regular tent?? Are they actually made of a material that retains more heat or something??
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #35
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
No problem. PM replied.

This winter camping idea is interesting. Those little fold up stoves seem interesting...with the "chimney" included, how small does it actually pack down??

I have seen "winter" tents...what is the difference between those and a regular tent?? Are they actually made of a material that retains more heat or something??
The Kifaru stove shown in the OP is their small. It packs down to 10.5" x 12" x 2" thick. Stows away in that little case I showed.

There are disadvantages to the small back packable stoves though, don't get me wrong. They're leaky, i.e., can't be damped down completely to save coals. They basically have to be tended to keep them heating. But, they'll heat up a little tent in a hurry!

There are some larger, more solidly built stoves, (read that much heavier and less compact,) that can maintain heat longer without stoking, but you know, there's the trade-off. All depends on what you need/want. Heck, I know campers that haul out big heavy canvas tents and steel wood stoves, but they are trucking in horses and gear for a week.

As far as "winter tents," from what I know the material is the same, but serious winter tipis/tents have a liner, like in a real tipi. If you heat up a pretty well sealed tent even with a little stove like mine, you will get a terrarium effect. The exterior wall will get condensation inside and it will rain on you if you're not careful, or even if it's just windy. The liner prevents that problem. Having vents in the top, like in a go-lite, alleviates that problem, but most of your heat goes right out the top. I am making velcro-in patches to cover my vents and they will be adjustable to regulate the airflow/exhaust.

So there's a tent for every occasion. Some of us seem to need one or two of each...
It's like a disease...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!

hppyfngy screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 02:07 PM
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #36
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Sounds good. I was just wondering how well it would pack down for bike camping?? I have been getting involved in this thread, updating my gear and looking forward to some summer camping on my DRZ.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641622
Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #37
Frqnt-Flyr
n00b

Oddometer: 2
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Check out this Ti_goat roll stove. It rolls up to a smaller size, including the vent pipe. I just cant justify the money right now!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #38
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frqnt-Flyr View Post
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Check out this Ti_goat roll stove. It rolls up to a smaller size, including the vent pipe. I just cant justify the money right now!
Those are cool little stoves. I would think that that curved surface wouldn't conduct heat to the bottom of a soup pot well though. If that's important to you.
Being able to boil water is a nice bonus feature of the stoves and a flat surface would work better.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Just a follow up note. I made velcro in panels to cover the vents in the top of the SL4 when I'm using the stove for heat. They can obviously be adjusted to let heat out too as they are velcro all around. Works great

Just in time for spring!

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #40
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I've been interested in the Kifarus for a while, purely because everyone who has one seems to rave about them. I can't really see myself using one on the bike (other than perhaps for the Elephant Rally), but for hiking I might.

Any UK FFs got one that I could check out at a meet/rally?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #41
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,740
Dude, you're handy.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #42
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Well you know what Red Green says. "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #43
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I've been interested in the Kifarus for a while, purely because everyone who has one seems to rave about them. I can't really see myself using one on the bike (other than perhaps for the Elephant Rally), but for hiking I might.

Any UK FFs got one that I could check out at a meet/rally?
If you spring for the cost of a Kifaru you have to rave about it. It's in the contract. That and you'd feel like a real wanker for spending that much if it sucked.

But seriously, they are awesome. I have an 8 man and it's really great.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #44
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
That's fantastic!

..wait...You actually do go camping? I don't think I've ever seen you at a campout...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #45
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Thanks Skippii.

Surely by now you know I'm the Lone Ranger.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!