User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
MMW Motorcycle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
!979 R100RT more power for side car rig

any ideas for building a high torque engine for a R100 with side car. Would like to cruise at 70 mph, but still have power for passing.

Thanks Richard
MMW Motorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
Dual plug/higher CR, sport cam, late model clutch/flywheel, higher final drive ratio. You'll be set.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Unless you're hauling MAJOR mass, you should have no problem cruising at 70 in stock mode at around 5K rpm.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,359
3.20 gears should work well for sidecar use with a healthy liter motor.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie View Post
Unless you're hauling MAJOR mass, you should have no problem cruising at 70 in stock mode at around 5K rpm.
Maybe in 4th.

Stock 2.91 gears won't pull 5k at 70 in 5th.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
How about a big bore kit Siebenrock 1070cc and a 3:09 final drive from a R90/6. Don't run a 3:20. Way to buzzy at highway speeds.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Dual plug/higher CR, sport cam, late model clutch/flywheel, higher final drive ratio. You'll be set.
Not sure about the sport cam for hauling a sidecar. My RS has a sport cam and is noticeably down on umph below 3k compared to my bikes with the 308 cam. It goes very well at higher rpm though.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Not sure about the sport cam for hauling a sidecar. My RS has a sport cam and is noticeably down on umph below 3k compared to my bikes with the 308 cam. It goes very well at higher rpm though.
I agree. Stay away from the sport cam. No low end torque.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
You will definitely have to change your rear end gear ration. Not certain of the one to go to, but the stock 32/11 will just not last and be so slow off the line your hack monkey will be out pushing.

Check with some of the inmates over in the Hack section. I bet they can be all kinds of help.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
supershaft
because I can

I think a lot of hackers run a 3.56:1. I would think you would need at least a 3.36:1.

I know I would get some nays on the sport cam. I am surprised that I haven't gotten any on the late model flywheel clutch. Less umph under 3krpm? With my small port I would say under 2500rpm but MMW's bike is a big port. Even then it's barely any less and the payoff in the mid and upper revs are big! Sport cams are not top end cams, they are mid range cams. You shouldn't be working your engine hard below 3k anyway. Especially with a hack! An experienced hacker that I know got all kinds of nays on his sport cam and late model clutch but he loved the setup. Just saying!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Exactly. Gotta wring it above 5k before you'll realise any advantage from a 336 cam. 5k-8k is where they work. It's a high end "timing" cam. Virtually no advantage in valve lift over the stock 308 degree cam. Rather, increased duration.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
How about a big bore kit Siebenrock 1070cc and a 3:09 final drive from a R90/6. Don't run a 3:20. Way to buzzy at highway speeds.

Thanks.

I'll heed your advice on that with my sidecar project.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Exactly. Gotta wring it above 5k before you'll realise any advantage from a 336 cam. 5k-8k is where they work. It's a high end "timing" cam. Virtually no advantage in valve lift over the stock 308 degree cam. Rather, increased duration.
That is absolutely not true on both levels! I would say a sport cams advantage starts at between 2500 and 3000rpm. I am not just talking about my own bike either!

Well, at least you didn't say that the sport cam has no more lift than the 308. I have read that on internet forums and popular websites. FACT: It has substantially more lift. Look up the specs. No, it isn't a super high lift cam because it is not that radical of a cam. It does have a comparatively narrow toe to toe angle. Contrary to what you might think, narrow toe angles (overlap) HELP midrange. Many a tuner swear by it including Yunick and Dr Curve.

I do agree that they work best from about 5 to 8k rpm. Where would you say a 308 works best at? I would say 4500 to 6500rpm. I would say the advantage definitely starts by at least 3k and by 4k it is substantial. By 5 k the difference is a big one and past 7k they are a night and day difference since the 308 comparatively does not work there.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 07:27 PM
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Lornce
Lost In Place

Q. Where does the stock 308 degree cam work best?
A. Depends how it's degreed.

Fact: '77 RS (and every other airhead except the R60/7) used the same cam profile (which determines valve lift and duration) as '79 and all later airheads. BMW degreed (references the cam's orientation to the crankshaft) the cam slightly differently after '78 or '79 (I forget which year the change was introduced) to improve torque/power production in the lower reaches of the rev range.

Increased overlap tends to improve higher RPM power production at the expense of lower RPM efficiencies. The differences are pretty easy to identify on an airhead twin.

Quote:
It has substantially more lift. Look up the specs. No, it isn't a super high lift cam because it is not that radical of a cam.
It's been a long time since I looked at the specs of the 308 vs. 336 cam (over 20 years). Memory tells me there wasn't much difference in lift, the difference was simply duration. Do you have the specs available from a reliable source?

My experience with the 336 cam in a '77 RS was pretty forgetable. Andrews cams (now mfg'rd by Mega Cycle) produce more impressive performance gains.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Andrews cams (now mfg'rd by Mega Cycle) produce more impressive performance gains.
Mega Cycle appears not to list any Airhead Cams. You got any inside info?

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote