Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #91
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Well yesterday I pulled the rear tire off....

If you were wondering what the rear brakes looked like on a BR

And the new tire on the rim

preliminary test ride was good, last night felt a bit unstable at high speed (could have been the wind and pavement also)

Today it was raining, and stupid cagers wouldn't go over the speed limit and blocking lanes, I couldn't get up to speed to see if it was the rear tire or something else.

maybe this weekend I'll get a good test run in
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #92
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Hmm it could be just you getting used to the new tire.

When you change the tire, especially to a different brand, it usually feels real weird for the first 50 miles or so. I remember after upgrading both tires from stock to contential zippies on my Elite 150 I almost dumped it around my first corner! I didn't expect it to change the handling so dramatically!

I also thought it felt a little unstable on the road, almost like it was all over the road! After about maybe 50-80 miles I got used to it. I'd just take it a little easy for the first 50 miles or so, or whenever you get used to the new tire.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #93
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for the thread I always liked the BR but at 6'7" I look to much like a Shriner.Trying to find the right fit Scoot now.
Don't like the flat foot ones like the angled boards to move feet,also trying to find one I feel comfortable standing on.
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #94
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

hacksaw55, I know how you feel. Problem is most of the plastic footpads aren't capable of handling the weight to stand on. Nice part with the BR is that I can stand up on the foot pads, and "air out" as I ride. As for height, the BR seat is adjustable, I run mine anywhere from all the way foreward to all the way back, and points in between. Only issue I have when selecting a scooter or motorcycle, is being able to flat foot at a stop. That and comfort while riding (bar position, seat height, foot peg location) are the two main things I look at, I'm not concerned about looking tooo big riding, as there are YouTube videos of folks a whole lot wider than me filmed enjoying themselves, of course the losers are the ones behind the camera commenting on the larger folks.

btcn, I was thinking that maybe it's me, or combination of tire, road, and myself. Don't know, maybe tomorrow I can get it figured out. Funny part is I rode in to work yesterday at 75-80 and didn't notice anything unusual on the ride on 290 into work, other than I would lag a little bit on the uphill climbs but not as pronounced as before, lost 3-5 MPH uphill before, and losing 5-8 MPH uphill currently.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #95
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post

btcn, I was thinking that maybe it's me, or combination of tire, road, and myself. Don't know, maybe tomorrow I can get it figured out. Funny part is I rode in to work yesterday at 75-80 and didn't notice anything unusual on the ride on 290 into work, other than I would lag a little bit on the uphill climbs but not as pronounced as before, lost 3-5 MPH uphill before, and losing 5-8 MPH uphill currently.
You lost that speed after you installed the new tire? Thats weird. You just replaced the rear tire?

If you replaced the front too, then all I can say is it may make the Speedo more accurate with the new tread. In the back it shouldn't make a difference though. But yea you can see tomorrow what happens.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #96
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

back in business......

Well I did the rear tire last week, didn't solve the drifting issue, changed the front out and the drifting went away, only to be replaced with a vibration at high speeds. Solution was to add Dyna Beads to the front tire and so far solved the high speed vibration, downfall is at low speeds the Dyna Beads don't have enough centrifugal force to properly balance out the tire, but at speeds over 25 MPH the beads work well. I did notice a bit of porpoising when accelerating from a sudden stop, but it only lasted a few hundred feet, but the tire wasn't unstable or wobbling or drifting, guess it's something to get used to.

Plus the new Pilot Sport SC tread is great for the BR to handle gravel and dirt, and still function on the road.

Now Sunday, the BR is going to be riding with the New England Rucksters, on a ride around Wachusett Reservoir.

Then on Tuesday, the BR is going to be doing an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 ride.....

Pics to come.....
2013 Victory Judge
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #97
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like some awesome riding coming up! Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #98
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Well vacation didn't quite go as planned...

The Wachusett Ride was cancelled because the only guy who showed up was in a car, wanted to see what we were up to, and then left. (I can't blame him he was walking with a cane)

So I had a few pics taken from the support vehicle as we rode the backroads home.....

So Monday evening I did my prep and final planning to do the Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 ride.

I left Charlton MA Tuesday at a little after 2AM, hit the ATM in Sutton MA, then hit Milford Ct. Gassed up at Pilot.

Hit the 8000 mile mark on the Big Ruckus on 91 just before Vermont....

Hit a rest area of 89 that has it's own green setup, recycles it's waste water from the toilets, and filters them in this greenhouse setup....

And the Vermont Vetrans Memorial....

And I stopped by to pay my respects to my maternal grandfather (1/2 his ashes are here, half are back in Charlton)...

Hit Swanton VT, got my Maple Syrup, grade a meduim amber right at the farm.....

So now I realize it's 12:45 PM, and I'm only half way there. I had planned on paper to be in St Johnsbury VT by 1PM. Not happening.....
SO I rode hard.....
Hit Orleans VT, hit construction, hit St Johnsbury and Route 2.....
Stuck behind slow moving Moving Company tractor trailer.....15 miles and more lost time.....
Finally hit Maine.....Stopped for gas....asked how much further to Bangor because it's 5 PM.....told on a good day 3 hours.

WTF!.... So I ride hard.....stop for nothing but gas....ride harder.....
Hit Palmyra ME....detour onto I95 at exit 157, so head north to exit 180. Realize that I am at 800+ miles already, and 300 miles from home.....WTF!!!!!

So I gas up, head south....temperature is dropping, wind chill at 75 MPH (65mph plus 10mph head wind) is enough that even with the Wool Socks, Lined Insulated Jeans, Leather Boots, Insulated Leather Riding Gloves, Fleece Inner Pull Over, Wind resistant Insulated Jacket, and Full Face Modular Helmet, that I had a good 5+ hours of riding and the gear wasn't enough.

The wind noise howling through the helmet was driving me so crazy that I almost took it off and was going to throw it out. The wind cut through me so much over the last 3 hours that on the last half hour of the ride I was losing feeling in my fingers, pain in my legs, and starting to feel fatigue.

I made it to the ATM, got my receipt for my end time (12:51AM Wednesday), and was walking around my bike, part frozen, part so tired, that I commented to myself that "just think the police see me walking around like this and guarantee they'll think I was drunk" only to look up and see the squad car on the other side of the bank parking lot with the officer watching me.

luckily for me he got a call and drove away before I started the bike and rode the 3 blocks home.

So now it's paperwork and waiting for certification....but 1093 miles!

Also, pics from this morning.....

Typical highway speeds......

And what my face deforms to at Highway speeds without the full face helmet......
2013 Victory Judge

Sportsman Matt screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 05:55 PM
Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #99
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,901
Awesome stuff again Matt.

I`m just loving all the fun and adventure you`re having on that great bike of yours.

Maybe consider wearing earplugs on any long rides in future...they`ll eliminate that maddening and harmful windnoise and actually reduce tiredness while riding.

Well done on your achievement...BRILLIANT !

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #100
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Awesome!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #101
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I just read through this whole thread. The big ruckus is such a cool scooter and the big action pack fits perfectly. Have you gone on anymore long trips with the ruckus?
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #102
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Domromer I plan on doing several more trips per say, but this one was "the one" to end the "you gotta get a real bike" comments from some of the Harley folks where I work, seeing most of them can't ride more than a couple hundred miles in a day (maybe more but Freebird get's drowned out by wind noise)

Will I do another 1000+ day, don't know. But I do know my next long trip is going to be maybe a overnight fishing trip out in the western part of the state, don't know exactly, but something to plan after I get the paperwork done for the Saddle Sore 1000 ride.

Headed out camping this weekend in southern RI...

and guess what's along for the ride.....

more to come.....
2013 Victory Judge
Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #103
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Great Thread!

My name is Larry and I ride a Ruckus. lol

The BR is really awesome. Got mine from a guy over in the East Bay area in N. California. He bought it new to pick up supplies for his new 5th wheel on trips. The trailer was awesome and it was his first 5th wheel. He quickly learned how to unhook and then used his truck for supply runs. Fast forward to 2011 I bought this bad boy with 105 miles on it.
My first thought was "Hey, I could use this to get supplies for my RV!". lol

I didn't realize what a kick it was to ride and it got my wife working on getting her License to ride.

The only real issue I've had is the speed. Can't get the thing over 55 mph. Granted I weigh around 240 but seems like 55 is a bit slow. I thought this a bit odd since my son who is 150 had the same results. What could be the problem?
A governor setting maybe?
Great thread
Love the Saga!
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #104
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum....

Actually not really funny, but let's recap the past weekend.....

Went camping down at the Wakefield Rotary Balloon Festival..... Hot Air balloons flying around the area.....

So Friday Night we set up, and Saturday took a ride, Me Stoney, and Joe.
Outside Ocean State HD in Exeter RI, funny the foreign bikes outnumbered the HD's when we were there....

Let Stoney try the Big Ruckus out, "like riding a Harley" was his comment....

Hit the 8888.0 and 8888.8 on the odometer also......

Me and Joe (Joe's on the left)

Me and Stoney (Stoney's on the right)....

Got back, and while waiting to go on a fuel run, let Dave take the Big Ruckus for a spin.....

After dinner me and the girlfriend decided to take a ride, found this nice waterfall and stream next to a Pottery Shop...

Rode back to the festivities.....

Now on the downside....

My girlfriend decided it was fun riding on the back of the Big Ruckus, but wanted to try riding solo. So she borrowed one of Stoney's Meitian, took it around the field a couple times....

About 2 minutes later she face planted, not a pretty sight, and luckily it was on the dirt and grass, not the pavement.

So a trip to the ER, a couple scratches on her right arm, fractured her left wrist, and a couple black and blues.

Maybe someday she'll ride again, but not for a long time...... bummer way to end the weekend and vacation......
2013 Victory Judge

Sportsman Matt screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 11:09 AM
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #105
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Nice Matt,sorry to read about the face plant.Picked up my scoot on sat. got the plates today(mon.) siked.The wife is talking about a scoot now will have to get her licence,she road Honda 50's when she was younger I'll have to find something smaller for her to practice than my Morphous.Hoping to meet up with CCSC on the 6th of Aug. their riding up to Northampton.Can't wait for some good rides,and reading about your adventures.

hacksaw55 screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 01:05 PM
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote