bwNutCase

Oddometer: 23
Man I really want a 350.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #139
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
Matt,

Let's see those pictures. The BW200s still rock. I'm just stuck on the bigger is better philosophy.

Cliff,

Those are awesome Copper River pictures. The bike looks good too. Nice and stock, just the way you want it.

The number 1 modification I would make to ANY BigWheel is new footpegs. The stock ones are straight off the YZ80 minibike and are minipegs. Larger pegs make a world of difference when you are standing up, which we seem to do a lot on the BWs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-PW50-...#ht_605wt_1189

This is a link to an ebay auction for some TW200 footpegs. If you drill one hole in them for the springs, they fit the BW mounts. These are cheap Chinese pegs, but in my experience, they are pretty durable. IMS make a set that are certainly better, but quite spendy. The cheap pegs can be found for less, if you are willing to shop a little bit.

Regards,

Mr. BIgWheel
Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #140
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I want a BW350 too. And as soon as I find one in this area for the right price I'll get one. I'll never get rid of my 1985 BW200 though. It's the lightest year at 256 lbs. with oil and gas. Every pound feels like a ton, when you have to pick up a bike that you dropped somewhere it's to steep to stand. You can get the front end up but you don't have to worry about flipping it over in the steep sections. Plus if i remove the passenger seat I can load the BW200 in my 1969 FJ40. If I find a BW350 I'll figure out how to load that in there too.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #141
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

mudmantra,

I went back to a KTM two-stroke just for the reasons that you mentioned. On some rides, the bikes spend more time on their sides than their wheels. After picking a bike up a few dozen times, I truly appreciate light weight.

My objective with the 350 is to make it as light as a 200. I've started the process with a new lightweight li-po Shorai battery. This is an easy (not cheap) way to knock off a bunch of weight. The original battery would be at home on a John Deere tractor. This little battery weighs less than two pounds. It will be awesome, unless it catches on fire. Third degree burns suck.

Next will be a lighter exhaust. Perhaps something from Dr. Dubach with a D-profile to help clear the 25" rear tire.

After that, it will take lots of money to save a little bit of weight. But at least I can fantasize.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #142
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Cool a lighter BW350 would be awesome! Do you still want to retain your electric start? I've had pretty good luck with the EVO2 Ballistic battery in my XT500. It's a kick start bike, so I went with the lightest battery they have. But they have bigger battery's too. I saw one of their bigger battery's start a 4stroke KTM, so they well do the job. The battery in my XT500 weights 8 OZ. Still going strong, even with all the vibration of a 500+ cc thumper.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #143
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
after finding this thread, i took the for sale sign off of my 85 200, now i just want it to snow. & hmmmm, i bet i could rig up a snowobile track to the rear somehow... hmmm...
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #144
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
Mr. Bigwheel, anyone know if a 25 inch rear tire will fit stock? The stock 23 inch tire looks close to the forward part of the swing arm. I Just thought that clearances might be too tight?

And yes, Mr. Bigwheel, I do spend a lot of time off the seat and on the foot pegs. I will have to look into those foot pegs you mentioned. We should do a ride next weekend! I will have from Saturday thru Monday off work, so if one of those days works for you.... lets ride! A New Years day ride sounds like fun.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #145
matt556
bwNutCase

I'll get some pics up here later on. Has anyone tried the Kevlar clutch disk? We got a clutch job in the works.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #146
matt556
bwNutCase

Here's we go...

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #147
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Cliff,

If you look at Matt's pictures, the photo of the two bikes together (twins, mmmmmmmm) the one in the foreground certainly has a HUGE 25 inch tire on it. I put a gigantic wooly-booger style 25 incher on one of my 350s this summer with no clearance issues at all. It was tight enough, however, that I do not think that I could have studded it without destroying the lower shock mount. Most normal 25s will not cause you any grief.

New Years day may not be a realistic goal for me from a work perspective. i'm on call, so I may be here or abroad. I think we need to get you studded up anyway. I have some used studs that I harvested from old tires (the ones on the outside knobs never seem to get too much wear). Maybe those could be used to get you ready for winter on your stock tires. Or I can check the inventory any see if there is anything that is useable.

Matt,

Those are some nice,clean looking machines. Mine have been ridden too hard and put away too wet to look that nice. Glacial silt is really rough on off road machines. Or, maybe I'm just lazy.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #148
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
Mr. Bigwheel, I understand about being on call, I used to have I job like that 24/7 it sucked. I myself now work Monday thru Friday so weekends are open for me. I agree that getting the Bigwheel studded is very important. If you are able to located anything, it would be very much appreciated. I am so excited to take her out on a ride that I would risk going out unstudded. But I haven't taken the Bigwheel out in the snow yet except around the neighborhood for a short jaunt, so I may be taking my life in my own hands without studs? I agree, I like the pics of the 2 200's together. I am anxious to get some pics of our bikes side by side.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #149
matt556
bwNutCase

Mine is definately ridden, it's actually in the process of planning out how I'm going to bring her up to date via controls & lighting. The 2nd is going to be built back to stock for cruising as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #150
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Mr Bigwheel, That video w/ the plane taking off - is that you. I noticed the BW next to plane! Very short takeoff huh?