User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #241
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 724
Bonjour, Cliff

Once again I'll defer to Sixpepper. He has another video where he pulls the swingarm off of a 200 and shows how he does the servicing. This will give you an idea of what you are up against. Your eccentric bushings are probably seized to the steel shaft, or less likely, to the inner bore of the swingarm.

It's not at all uncommon that they are seized, but it only takes once to make you a firm believer in keeping those bushings properly lubed. You've probably already started using penetrant, but make it a daily ritual to apply some to the shaft. Heat will be your other friend. Some have recommended diesel fuel as an effective way to help loosen the bushings but I haven't tried it.

You'll have to drive the shaft out from the threaded side without damaging the threads. However, if you have to damage anything, make sure it's not the eccentrics. Those are no longer available from Yamaha and are incredibly rare.

Best of luck,

Monsieur Faux GrandeWheel
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #242
matt556
bwNutCase

Oddometer: 23
My BW & I found a Happy place today.

Urban Moto Rocks!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #243
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
These eccentric bushings would not be hard to make.
With a good set to measure,they could be duplicated,
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #244
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 245
I hope that it does not come to fabricating my own eccentrics. Nothing like having no parts available for an obsolete motorcycle to not put pressure on a guy into screwing up his bike lol. (I'm Scared!)
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #245
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Cliff,

Have no fear. You will be beating with a hammer on a bike that is only slightly more complicated than a hammer. When you get the swingarm apart, you'll be taken aback by the primitive nature of the design. When you compare the suspension to a modern one, the parts count is minimal. There are no bushings on the shock, no bearings on the swingarm pivot and it's completely unadjustable. The only problem that you have is a little bit of corrosion between the shaft and the bushings. You will have no luck using torque because the bushings will freely spin with the shaft.

You are going to have to persuade the shaft out with your collection of caveman tools. A rubber mallet or deadblow hammer works well for not damaging the threads. A punch works well also but is much more demanding of precision after a few beers.

On the last shaft that I had stuck, I was utterly unsuccessful until I used a lot of heat. A LOT of heat with a torch. I was worried about the paint and damaging seals, etc. but everything came out fine. You will only have to do this once, because you will make sure it never gets stuck again.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #246
Cliff h

OK, I will give it a try. I have been spraying some PB blaster once a day for the last few days. I have been trying to work up the courage to do this. Its just that if I mess this up, it sounds like I have destroyed my bike. I will try and work up the courage (with just the right amount of beer) to get started on this daunting task. May the force be with me...

Cliff
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #247
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Some advise....Put the nut on the end of the swing arm bolt and turn until flush with the end of the bolt. There will be a gap between the back of the nut and the frame to allow it to move a little.
Try to get something softer than the steel bolt (brass,copper or aluminum) and place it square on the end of the bolt and the face of the nut.
Protect fingers and hit with hammer.
Your goal is to break the bond between the bolt and the bushings without ruining the actual swing arm bolt.
if you hit the bare bolt you will most likely mushroom the end of the bolt and ruin the threads.
Putting the nut on prevents this from happening if you hit it squarely.
Once you break it loose,you can remove the nut and continue driving it out.
Usually,breaking the initial bond takes the most force.
Use Never-Sieze or grease on the bolt when you put it back together.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #248
LDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wicked

Hey there Cliff H. , my son ( Matt556 ) and I started my BW 200 tear town this morning , complete bare bone's nothing on the frame or swing arm , naked BW left in the garage. He'll post some pic's later I beleive . My eccentric's were froze up also , sprayed with lube , drove em out like sixpepper's video showed (with a little bit of an up grade to that ) . Got it all cleaned up with the a lot of help from my wonderful daughter in law . Then started in on the engine tear down . Got the new clutch pack installed , along with the new kick starter shaft . Then reassembled the engine and kick starter pedal , all working perfectly now ! What a great day I had working with my son and his wife . Next is to prep everything for paint . Till next week , good luck to ya !
LDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #249
LDL
Adventurer

Cliff h , there's a set of eccentric's on ebay right now from impala66 , he's calling them swing arm spacer's , just thought I'd let you know !
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #250
Cliff h

Cool, thanks for all the advise!! I haven't had the time to tear into the project this weekend. I will try to get into it after work during the week. I very much appreciate all the advise and support! I will let everyone know what the end result is.

Cliff.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #251
matt556
bwNutCase

Ight.... As my Pops shared above, here's the photos. It was a really good day in cave w/ my best friends.

A lil' blasting on the skid plate

BW remains (graffic)

3/8" drive extension(s) & 1/2" socket, everything stays lined up this way. Makes for easier beating.

& the heart of the beast

matt556 screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 03:43 AM
matt556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #252
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Hey! This is a family channel!

All of those beatings and the dismemberment? What about the children? What about the children?

They're crying now. What am I supposed to tell them?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #253
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,326
These bikes ares stupid fun, like dragging your pegs in the sand, or chugging throught the woods, I hada BW sold it, and I also have a Fat Cat Auto no clutch , both are stupid fun bikes, I saw some at Glamis with mods 2 strokes mono shocked

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #254
LDL
Adventurer

All of the carnage has been cleaned up in Matt556's man cave (garage). The kid's can be called back in at anytime now. You gotta love life in the winter time in Houston. High's in the mid 70's with low's in the mid 40's. Can't wait for the paint to begin to start fly'n !
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #255
matt556
bwNutCase

Got to do a little messing around today at the salt mine.

Since the kick stand had seen better days, I had a .250" pad welded onto the base of the stand. Then I blasted and brought the front motor mount back to new condition.

More too come....