User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #31
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 734
Onederer,

It's not just toxic exhaust that makes people want to stay in front of a BigWheel. If you show up to a track or even a trail ride with a BW, people will do whatever they can in their power to avoid being passed by the fat-tired, air cooled, antique, freakmobile. It is somewhat entertaining, in a sadistic way, to see the ego-induced carnage that results. Not that I'm in to that sort of thing, though.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

eakins,

The TW200 shares a few of the parts from the BigWheel (forks, rear shock and numerous bits and pieces) but it was different enough from the BigWheels to credit with being a new design. I think all of the Yamaha bikes at this level of production are parts-bin bikes.

Most prominently, the TW200 only has one drive chain, whereas the BW has two differently sized chains and a jackscrew to get power to the wide rear wheel.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #33
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 723
Mr. BigWheel, I ride ATCs and know about that ego thing. I get the look from people on ATVs who don't know any better and then usually the finger when I've had enough of being behind them and forcibly pass cause they won't just let me.

With all the snow today, a BW would be great.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #34
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Onederer,

Even without the snow, you need a BigWheel.

I wish I could say that I have the same effect on people when I'm riding on a snowmachine trail, but people usually just pull over so they can see the idiot on the motorcycle in the middle of winter. Then, shortly afterwards, will pass me at the speed of light, just in case I'm contagious.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #35
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

I need a BW about as much as another hole in my head. All this has got me thinking about selling one of the ATCs and talking my friend out his old BW.

A few years back someone close to here had a real clean 350 but I missed out on that one and there are very few of them around here. Speaking in terms of years is proof of that.

Some of those sleds make close to 100hp don't they?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #36
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Onederer,

You can never have too many holes in your head. Otherwise the really stupid ideas get trapped inside, forcing you to do stupid things, like owning a BigWheel. But i encourage you to get one anyway.

The new Yamahas are running the 1000cc engine out of the R1. I think they produce 100hp at idle. They are heavy as hell, but since they can travel at low Mach numbers, no one seems to care.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #37
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I really like your Bigwheel (and the Enduro Alaska videos for that matter). But one thing has bugged me for a while.. how much do you pay for a tire and how far away do you have to import them from?

Bummer the BW's were never available in Switzerland.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #38
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

AlpineGuerrilla,

The tires for the BigWheel are not too terribly exotic. They are standard ATV/four-wheeler tires. Since there are more four-wheelers in Alaska than there are motorcycles, they are not hard to come by.

They are only expensive because of the shipping that raises the prices on everything in the state. But I should imagine that you know all about paying expensive prices already.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #39
Fycibiun
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Id like to know exactly why the BW handles so badly on hard surfaces. No one has ever been able to sufficiently explain it to me. Is it just the fat tires, or is there a design flaw responsible for it. I mean Ive never ridden any other fat tired bike, so maybe its just that all fat tired bikes do not want to turn. Do Honda fatcats handle just as badly? Of course Im hoping to find a design flaw in the BW in order to find a fix. Im thinking it has something to do with the mismatched wheels/tires and/or the angle of the front fork. Comments?
Fycibiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #40
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fycibiun View Post
Id like to know exactly why the BW handles so badly on hard surfaces.
Ever drive an old truck without power steering and a posi-trac rear end on pavement?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #41
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

I am joining the BW asylum.

This thing needs a LOT of love. It is going to require a complete engine tear down because it is stuck in gear and plain wore out.

Will need all hub bearings, brakes, cables, jack-shaft bearings and replacement of the hacked up air box. It is also going to need a new clutch cover and some internals because the kick starter doesn't work correctly. The muffler is completely gutted as well and will need replaced.

The rear tire and final chain and sprockets will work for now and it got a new OEM CDI before it stuck in gear and was put up (left in the yard) years ago.

Depending on how things go, I would like to use a Tri-Z front end with the disk brake before I spend any money on the original forks and brake.

This is going to be a slow process. Any advice from sage BW owners is appreciated along with any parts that may be collecting dust and can be parted with . I imagine to find some real carnage when I get into the engine and have been scouring E-bay for a couple months without finding any real good stuff.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #42
ryderg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Picked up two BW200's a few months back. One is a parts bike the other just needs a little love.
[IMG][/IMG]

I bought a BW350 new back in 88 or 89. Always had a great time on it!
ryderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #43
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

I've been looking at that Cyclerack for the BW that one of your BW's has ryderg. Expensive, but after I get done fixing my BW, I won't feel like taking the time to fabricate a rack for it. May be what I get.

Good luck on getting your BW going.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #44
ryderg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
I've been looking at that Cyclerack for the BW that one of your BW's has ryderg. Expensive, but after I get done fixing my BW, I won't feel like taking the time to fabricate a rack for it. May be what I get.

Good luck on getting your BW going.
Thanks for the positive support! I just finished rebuilding my TW200 motor, so the BW should go real smooth.
I have an extra rack on the other bike, may be willing sell it? I'm in the process of moving right now and will have it out of storage in a month or so.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a shot of the TW I just finished.

[IMG][/IMG]
ryderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #45
IronBear
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello folks!,

I'm new to this forum and just purchased an 85 Yamaha BW200 last night for pretty cheap money. It will need a total restoration but it's all together. Here is a picture of it

I'm hoping to find a cheap or free service manual for this machine so I can get started with the restoration process.

This seems like a great site to share ideas on these find machines.

Thank you,
IronBear :)
Attached Images

IronBear is offline   Reply With Quote