Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #691
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Has any one pulled the cork out of the exhaust?I tried to get the insert out and it must of welded itself to the outter steel can.I guess 26 years and lots of heat cycles will do that?Any one ever put performance suspension on these bikes?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #692
Travrsx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
That's in pretty good shape and it looks like all the parts are there.You're starting out much farther along than many on this thread!
Doesn't look like many miles either.That back tire looks pretty fresh if it's original.
You'll have a hoot with it!
Thanks! The pic shows the good side. From my initial casual inspection, I am missing the left side cover, and the airbox. The previous owner rigged up a cone filter directly on the carb, and there is no battery, so I have not been able to try the electric start. Hopefully the wiring is intact!

Also... Somebody rigged up a thumb throttle on this thing! That's a first on a dirtbike for me lol... I'll be converting it back to stock.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #693
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
sanjoh,

Those lights do look pretty sweet. Is there any realistic possibility of making a helmet light out of the 3600 lumen one? Or is it too heavy, bulky, etc?
They weigh 8ozs which is a bit heavy. We do have a helmet mounted light that is 4oz.

How about a headlight replacement that fits in the stock fairing? A couple of 60s should fit. I can setup a low beam to conserve retinas.

It would not be DOT legal but I've been running the same setup for many thousands of miles without issue on other bikes.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #694
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Does any one know if the lighting coil and cdi are 2 seperate entitites or is the lighting coil built into the cdi?
Would Love to have a missile or 350 or go hog wild and stick a Banshee engine in one
Love your avatar sanjoh,I love jeff dunham ,he is totally hilarious,love the old man and the redneck puppet hes got
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #695
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Mr. BW and Cliff H
Please refresh my memory on the rear shocks you are using.
I have some longer travel forks but need a longer shock to balance it out.

How much additional travel did you gain? Maybe you could give me a measurement,say from the axle centerline to the bottom of the fender-unloaded.

Thanks!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #696
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 356
Hello there big wheel people, I have a historical trivia question for you. The first bike I ever rode had fat tires and small rims, but it was a full-sized bike, not a lawn-mower mini-bike. The outer wheel size was similar to a normal trail bike. The bike belonged to my friend Shane's family, and they referred to it as a "Chibby" (my phonetic spelling). It was blue, and had enough power to wheely Shane and I off the back when we were 10 or so & riding two up. The vintage was probably early 1970s. Fender, tank & side covers were metal, not plastic, and the seat was a conventional flat two-person 'loaf of bread' like a 60's or 70's street bike.

In recent years I've tried to figure out what that bike was, and have gotten nowhere. I figure here on this thread, there might be some people with a knowledge of other fat-tired bikes beyond the Yamahas . . . does my limited description ring any bells?

(feel free to PM me if you are stumbling across this post some time long after it was written)
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #697
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 229
I (we) are using a rear shock from a Yamaha YZF 600 (I think). Mr. Bigwheel was kind enough to provide me with a shock from one of his previous attempts at rear shock upgrade. The measurement from the centerline of the rear axle to the rear fender (measured from the axle to where the end of the seat meets the fender) is 23.5". I am not sure what the stock measurement is, but a couple of inches of travel is gained, plus I now have rear dampning where the stock (25+ year old) shock seemed to provide no rebound damping whatsoever. I ran this setup on the rear for most of the summer without an upgrade to the front suspension. With the rear suspension jacked up and the front not modified the steering angle was rather steep and caused some rather twitchy steering. I now have a tri-z front suspension on the BW and now have a steering angle which is much more relaxed and easier to handle (in addition to a front disk brake!). The only disadvantage from what I can tell is that the primary chain has to be run a bit looser than what many may be comfortable with in order to cope with the geometry of the longer suspension travel.

Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #698
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 703
Singletrack_mind,

How about a Rockford or Bridgestone Chibi (means "short")

Shercoman,

Cliff usually lands on his head, but he hit it on the head this time instead. It's a YZF600 shock mounted inverted. Some years had no reservoir, some had a remote reservoir and many years had a reservoir on the shock body. I don't think that we have enough clearance between the tire and the shock for the latter. The ones with the remote reservoir allows independent adjustment for rebound and compression damping but the one without the reservoir works just about as well.

Both will still leave you wishing for a little more damping anytime the wheels leave the ground.

If you need any more measurements, I'll be back home tomorrow and can get them for you.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #699
Travrsx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Single track,

Maybe a Yamaha Chappy?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #700
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 356
[QUOTE=Mr. BigWheel;20055327]Singletrack_mind,

How about a Rockford or Bridgestone Chibi (means "short")

You know, I think that's it! I'm kind of shocked that it is so small, but I guess I was small then too. I do remember that it was smaller than my friend's big brothers' dirt bikes. Looking at how far the seat hangs off the back, I can easily see how two kids on there could get the thing to wheelie & dump it's riders off the back.

I couldn't convince myself 100%, but then I searched, found pictures of the right blue, and then there was a video of a restored example running. The sound did seem just right, I'm pretty sure this was it.

Thank you!
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #701
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 703
RebelYell,

The 350 has separate lighting and charging coils. I'm back on the road and don't have access to any manuals right now.

What electrical madness are you contemplating?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #702
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

my lights went out,dealership said it was a bad lighting coil.Aso bike will be running it will get to operating temperature Ill come to a stop it will idle for 30 seconds to a minute and quit if I dont give it gas.It will usually refire after 3/4 kicks .Carb was cleaned by the stealership.I know alot of guys here talk about the cdi going out.Just wonder if mines is starting to give p the ghost on my 2 honey?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #703
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 229
Rebel Yell,

My #2 350 is acting much the same way that your is. I thought that the carb was dirty on mine, so I cleaned it, but it seems to have made no difference. Also like yours, it will only idle for 30 sec. to a minute or so without some throttle input by me. And like yours mine will re-start after a 2-4 kicks (my battery is dying so I have to resort to the kick method). I was going to try swapping cdi's from one bike to another, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

As far as the lighting, you may have a bad lighting coil, but assuming that your bulb is good (I paid $2 for a new one from the dealer), check for ground in the connection where the harness plugs into the bulb itself. I ran an aux. ground and low and behold, I have a working headlight ( I still have to aim it properly though).

Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #704
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132

DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #705
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote