Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #826
hillbilly enduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Curious what kind of printer your using at work? My understanding of the more "common" printers nowadays use ABS plastic, and its fairly durable. Heck, the printers print THEMSELVES... gotta be fairly strong? I also have seen printed HOCKEY PUCKS so I'm guessing it might work for bushings... I'd be willing to print a set if (when) I ever get a printer for my class.
The prints we've gotten made is also made from ABS. It's not the material itself that's the problem, but the binding of the small threads, that the print consists of. But maybe some other type of printer is existing, where the binding gets stronger.
I guess you'll deliver proof when you get your printer But it would be cool as hell, if I'm proven wrong and we all just can buy a printer and make our own spareparts...
hillbilly enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #827
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
The original material is fairly light and is on the opposite end of the spectrum from an UHMW plastic. It seems like it is a little brittle, but it has performed it's function for 25 years until meeting me. The damage was caused by a few errant hammer blows while trying to get the eccentrics unstuck from the bore.

It should be a simple machining job with the exception of the channel that runs spirally down the interior of the bushing. I assume the purpose of the spiral is to retain grease or provide a manner to keep the eccentric from bonding with the bushing through movement.

While the following has no relevance at all to BWs, it is a world premiere. The latest Enduro Alaska:

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #828
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!

Where is that exhaust going to go?

I did something useful. Of course I knocked out a damaged one so a usable example wouldn't be made unusable by my inelegant techniques. Will this be good for measurements Shercoman? I can remove one that is undamaged if that would help.

Maybe this will make up for snapping off a bolt in one of the rocker arm shafts while trying to extract it with a redneck puller last night .

Regards,

Mr BigWheel
Zoomies,or big ol side pipes what do you guys think
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #829
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,358
MBW - bringing it strong - every time. Thanks for evening viewing.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #830
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Excellent video Mr.Bigwheel...wish I would have known you and the boys would be in Everett racing..I live a mile away and we could have taken the 3 -200's out while you were here...or had ya all over for a brew ..I missed the show but wont next year..looked like a great effort by you guy's !!.. I do think the wider bigwheel tires would prevail in that rockpile...IMO...
This is a link to a photobucket page as im not figuring posting pics here correctly..has the 25x12x9 tire on a 200 shots and a Camo 1985 200 that is for sale if anyone is interested.
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...aneumWa026.jpg
-FSHFLTHNKNG

P.S. - Another new Bigwheel video wouldn't suck though....
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #831
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
BW200 Replacement Shocks?

Hope this hasn't been covered in detail before - couldn't find anything much in the thread.

Does anyone have suggestions for replacement rear shocks on the BW200. I saw the Works set, but thought there might be others, say like from Progressive (at half the price). Gotta be some thing out there that is a pretty good match.

Also, it looks to me like the swingarm setup on the BW200 could take a slightly longer shock without any trouble. Has anyone fitted a longer shock?
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #832
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Thanks for watching guys.

RWBWheel,

That would have been awesome to hook up at the race. Let's do it this year. The next one is October 26. The 350 can't race in the Trialscross category (because of it's wheelbase) but the 200 can. Ready to fill out your entry form?

BWSwamper,

The 200 seems to be less popular than the 350s for shock conversions. Of course it is partly becasue there are twice as many shocks, but since Yamaha builds parts-bin bikes, the monoshock-equipped bikes share the same architecture throughout the entire line.

We have been running YZF600 shocks that are several inches longer than the stock one on the 350s. The downside to the longer shock is that the chain comes in contact more readily with the plastic guard on the front of the swing arm since the extra length lowers the secondary sprocket relative to the swing arm's pivot point.

I think that the 200 should be able to accommodate a longer shock just as readily as the 350. It does change the steering geometry if you don't also compensate by raising the front as well.

That would give you the perfect excuse to put those Tri-Z forks on. You will then be far down the road of BW modification that is a true sign of the sickness.....

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #833
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr Bigwheel, Sounds like fun, ill bring the EZ-UP over for you all...and a grill...
The bushing you show looks alot like 'Bakelite' plastic..??
Ill try this link to the photoalbum as last one didnt work (again)..
http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/us...y/Big%20Wheels
The camo 200 is for sale and the whitetank one soon... !!!
hoping for 350 in the future,need more gusto..
I have an old set of orig. tires that hold air and a set of tubes I was thinking of using the 3/8 coldcutter screws for a set of winter tires for occasional use..do they hold up?? only $70 to do both tires..
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #834
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

RWBWheel,

Try this on for gusto:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/3507887493.html

Only $1,000 this weekend! Instant manliness!!! And you are already down with the camo.....

The bushings do feel like Bakelight. But I thought they stopped using that stuff when they were done making radios out of it in the 1940s. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I know what it is.

The Coldcutters are awesome for ice. They offer unbelievable traction on ice. However, if you use them on dirt, gravel or pavement they will be dulled rather quickly. Then they won't be awesome for ice anymore.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #835
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr BigWheel,
That rig looks rode hard and put up dirty..i would keep a 350 orig. (mostly/maybee ?? not..)
done with the camo, wanted to try it once,can be peeled off easy..
There is a MINT 350 in Craigs in Montana/Idaho with under 400 miles and a price to match.
I do have a desire to get a 12x9"" wheel set up for the rear and put 25x9x12 on back and 27x9x12 on front just to see if the handeling would 'straighten' out for harder riding/cornering. Watcha think?? And maybee you are dating yourself knowing about bakelite.. thanx for the headsup on the cheep pegs on e-bay-got-em and like -em...
Fshflthnkng
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #836
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

RWBWheel,

The problem with finding an alternate set of wheels for the BWs lies in the rear. There are very few ATV wheels that have a zero offset, which is required to center the hub. I would kill to have a 12" rear wheel but have never found one that would work after some extensive searching. Douglas and ITP have some 10x10 wheels with zero offset and Shercoman modified one for me to fit the BW hub. The unusual 125mm spacing of the lugs and the large size of the sprocket carrier also present some challenges.

Your proposed setup would be awesome for a dual sport but without the fat tires, what would it be called? TallWheel? Narrowwheel? Fatcat?

These modifications have so many ramifications that it is amazing if we get anything done at all.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel

P.S.

jaubuchon,

I vote for an underseat exhaust for the BigMow, just like a Ducati MotoGP bike:

Maximum scavenging, HP and cool factor. The carbon fiber fairing would be optional but the titanium is mandatory.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #837
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
BW200 Forks Upgrade Questions

Okay, now I do feel a strange force drawing me towards Tri-Z forkification - even though this is more common for the BW350.

I have found a few threads scattered around on the different boards concerning the Tri-Z fork changeout on both the BW200 and BW350. But, I have still have a couple of questions.

How much more travel do the Tri-Z forks have? And, how much additional front end height does that translate into? I have seen dicussion of both the full change out (greater rake, frontend height, and headlight issues) and the forks only changeout (greater height and triple clamp bore out issues).

It seems like the combination of a 25 inch tire on the rear, and perhaps a slightly longer set of shocks on the rear could offset a good bit of additional front-end height. That would get the overall geometry back to close to original, wouldn't it?

Any info and/or thoughts on the issue are greatly appreciated.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #838
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,535
Damn fine video. THANKS!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #839
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Thanks for watching, Newner. And for having low standards. Much obliged.

BWSwamper,

The Tri-Z offers almost ten inches of travel (depending on what source you believe) and the BW forks allow about 6 and 1/4 inches. It's not huge, but it is something.

I agree that your idea of the 25" tire and a slightly longer set of shocks would get you back to an even keel. One of the main attractions to the conversion is the disc brake. The fork is an improvement over the stock setup but it seems to magnify the inadequacy of the rear suspension. There is not much of a downside to the addition of the disc however.

I'll get out the tape measure tomorrow. Cliff is coming by with his #2 stock suspended 350 and we'll do some comparisons side by side.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #840
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
We may have to rename my Bw #2 "Little wheel" until the suspension gets modified.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote