User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #1066
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
dvgonzo,

My first 350 came from Albuquerque. I still have a photo of it sitting in a hotel room. It got shipped the 3600 miles back to Anchorage and it's crate became a workbench.

It had the same handguards, full racks AND a gun scabbard. Your bike does look really nice but I'm not sure I could pull off that trip for a BW ever again.

Maybe your knees would tolerate the BW better if you used the lower set of footpegs instead of the cafe racer ones.

Yes, I'm just kidding.

Where did those extra footpegs come from? They look like they might actually work well for hauling kids around the campsite and might be safer than the ones that get mounted to the swing arm.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1067
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

These are the belated photos for Shercoman of a Tri Z hub and stock BW forks. I finally found the SD card that they have been on for the last few weeks.

Why do they make those cards so small? I think they should be about the size of a roll of 35mm film and they'd be a lot harder to misplace.

The plate attached to the hub is an adapter to allow the use of a CR250 rotor and is just in the photo because I didn't have a spare Tri Z rotor to use.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #1068
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Mr. BW,

I KNEW you were kidding! I been following this thread for a couple years now and really "get" your humor.......I am just sick like that......course owning and storing a BW for 25 years probably already tells you all you need to know about my twisted little mind....or lack of one.

This one also has a Koplin custom mounted rifle case that goes with it, as well as a factory service manual, spare oil and air filters, and I think if I can locate the box a complete set of new spare cables. I sure hope I did not give those cables away now that I think about it when I sold my two Bultaco Sherpa T's a couple years back as they may have been in that same box with the Bul cables....fortunatlely I sold those scooters back to the buddy who sold them to me and can probabaly get them back if I get hold of him and he did not chop them up for trials bike replacement parts.

Back when I first got these around '92, in the last century, I built those footpegs as I was carrying around my GF's daughter while my GF rode the 200. They are REALLY nice footpegs. Probabaly one of the reasons I hung on to it for so long, HA!.....It took me couple weeks just to design them and figure out how to make them fold up right. Then relieved the center section so I could rubber cover them with some fancy 3m shrink tubing so your feet do not slip off. They are also really stout and do not shake and rattle as much as swingarm mounted ones.

Here is a pic...I hope.....still trying to remember this picture postin' stuff.

And one of it down:

dvgonzo screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:57 PM
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #1069
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, Meant to state that that aluminum disc needs to be bigger on Shercomans tri Z front end to get better stopping power! HA! JK, I know its the disc mount but could not resist. Is that some of Shercomans handiwork? Nice!

Actually about ten to twelve years back a buddy who had conned me into being his pit crew while he was racing mini-sprints used to cook his stainless discs in just a few laps to where they would glow and then warp cause he would drag the brakes.

After I built him TWO new stainless ones and he cooked em both in ONE night we did go to an aluminum rotor. It took a special pad and although I NEVER thought it would last we never had another problem with it cause the aluminum would shed the heat so much better than the stainless one and it rocked!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #1070
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Those foot pegs are awesome. It is too bad that you didn't put them into serial production for the tens of thousands of BWs out there. You'd be a millionaire by now.

They actually look really nicely done. They fit in with the overall condition of that machine perfectly.

Shercoman,

This is a link to a post with a scan of the '86 manual:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...Z-Service-Data

It lists a range of levels for the fork fluid. I'm still searching for the specs on the '85 forks. I know I have them somewhere but I'm not sure exactly where.

I'll get them posted as soon as I can.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #1071
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr BW,

Thanks, I try to build stuff pretty job rated and hate having to re-build cheaply made stuff....which these days seems to be about half of what I purchase.....sometimes BEFORE I even get the inital install done!!

The ONLY way I would have been a millionaire from selling aftermarket BW passenger pegs is if I sold TWO pair to to all eight to ten of the other BW 350 riders out there and charged them about 50 K per set. Course if they want them at that price I can be tooled up and spitting them out by the end of the week . In fact just give me the nod and I will start on YOUR sets this afternoon! HA!

I wanted to ask you if you needed to re-jet your BW when it went from N.M to Alaska?

I imagine you did but that was probably a few years back and not sure but if your head leaks the way mine does, you might not even remember.

What is your elevation there anyway?

Reason I ask is I got someone intereseted in mine who lives just above sea level and I mentioned he might have to re-jet and told him I would see if you might remember if you did. He is also a member/inmate of this institution I believe.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #1072
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Mr BW,

Thanks, I try to build stuff pretty job rated and hate having to re-build cheaply made stuff....which these days seems to be about half of what I purchase.....sometimes BEFORE I even get the inital install done!!

The ONLY way I would have been a millionaire from selling aftermarket BW passenger pegs is if I sold TWO pair to to all eight to ten of the other BW 350 riders out there and charged them about 50 K per set. Course if they want them at that price I can be tooled up and spitting them out by the end of the week . In fact just give me the nod and I will start on YOUR sets this afternoon! HA!

I wanted to ask you if you needed to re-jet your BW when it went from N.M to Alaska?

I imagine you did but that was probably a few years back and not sure but if your head leaks the way mine does, you might not even remember.

What is your elevation there anyway?

Reason I ask is I got someone intereseted in mine who lives just above sea level and I mentioned he might have to re-jet and told him I would see if you might remember if you did. He is also a member/inmate of this institution I believe.

Thanks.
He would need to rejet,especially going down in elevation.He will be too lean.I moved from Ohio to Las Cruces in 2002 and had to rejet everything because I went from around sea level to about 4000 feet in Cruces.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #1073
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Those foot pegs are awesome. It is too bad that you didn't put them into serial production for the tens of thousands of BWs out there. You'd be a millionaire by now.

They actually look really nicely done. They fit in with the overall condition of that machine perfectly.

Shercoman,

This is a link to a post with a scan of the '86 manual:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...Z-Service-Data

It lists a range of levels for the fork fluid. I'm still searching for the specs on the '85 forks. I know I have them somewhere but I'm not sure exactly where.

I'll get them posted as soon as I can.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Mr. BW Not to worry.
BWSwamper just sent me the .PDF of the forks for an '85 so I have what I need.
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #1074
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Yeah I hate them stupid UTvs they tear up the trails,are unaffordable by middle class standards,dumb asses have forgotten 4 wheel trail vehicles are called Jeeps and Last year at the one riding area I went to there was a bunch of them there for what I believe was amagazine test/shootout,One of m came barreling around a corner almost took me out on my Raptor 700,F*Cking SOBs gave me a dirty look and left me in a pack of dust.I see Utvs as people who have no balance or talent to ride a 2 wheeler and are too damn lazy or no talent to ride a 4 wheeler.Yes I ride both wheelers and bikes and can do both very very well. Oh if anyone knows where I can get a chain guard for a bw 200 from let me know.My damn boot hits that chain and catches me off guard plus its kind of tearing up my sinisalos
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #1075
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Yeah I hate them stupid UTvs they tear up the trails,are unaffordable by middle class standards,dumb asses have forgotten 4 wheel trail vehicles are called Jeeps and Last year at the one riding area I went to there was a bunch of them there for what I believe was amagazine test/shootout,One of m came barreling around a corner almost took me out on my Raptor 700,F*Cking SOBs gave me a dirty look and left me in a pack of dust.I see Utvs as people who have no balance or talent to ride a 2 wheeler and are too damn lazy or no talent to ride a 4 wheeler.Yes I ride both wheelers and bikes and can do both very very well. Oh if anyone knows where I can get a chain guard for a bw 200 from let me know.My damn boot hits that chain and catches me off guard plus its kind of tearing up my sinisalos
Are you lost?
Where did this come from?
This is a forum for discussing Big Wheel Yamahas and Fat Cat Hondas.
Why the UTV hate?
Oh and by the way,I AM one of those "dumb asses" with a UTV.It is another way for my wife and I to enjoy the mountains together,just like when we ride dirt bikes,quads or Jeeps. To each his own.
I have also been riding dirt bikes for 43 years and three and four wheelers since they came out.
Along with some competitive Trials riding so I'm well aware that my "balance and talent" are fully up to speed.
Two,three or four wheels I'd be glad to school you through the woods.

Discuss BW's here and share your hatred of anything you don't like with some other forum.
Oh and by the way, ADV Rider is a two wheeler forum.Most people here don't like quad riders either.

Shercoman screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 09:33 PM
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #1076
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 66
Next big wheel question for you, will the stator charge the battery on a 200? I seem to always find myself camping in the middle of the desert and would like to have a way to steal some juice for my iPod or GPS unit. Didn't want to do it if the battery will not charge while riding. But man it would be nice for the remote camping trips!!

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #1077
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

dvgonzo,

When I picked up the 350 in N.M., I took it for a ride north of Boulder, CO at elevations over 6,000 feet. It ran surprisingly well. I fully expected to need a rejet when I got it to Alaska, since we are at only a few hundred feet above sea level and our temps are always relatively cold.

I went to the local Yamaha dealer and inquired about jets and began to climb the steep learning curve concerning the lack of support for the BWs. They of course said that there were none available. I rode the bike (which had stock jets) and it carburated rather well.

I don't have an explanation for why the bike works at these disparate elevations except that the power output is bound to be underwhelming at any altitude.

The other 350s came from less than 50 miles away and experienced very little change in elevation. They too had stock jetting and run just fine in this thick air.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #1078
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Rear Hub brake side axle bearing spacer

While replacing the bearings in a BW200 rear hub, I discovered the very thin metal spacer/bearing protector on the brake side was up on the "axle sleeve" two inches in from the bearing.

From the parts diagram, I see that this spacer is supposed to sit down sort of inside the bearing with the narrow part pointing inward.

Is this part supposed to center the "axle liner sleeve" against the bearing? And, how critical is this part if it could be so far out of place on the "axle sleeve"?

Overall, it seems like a double sealed bearing would be better than the outer seal only OEM bearing used on the brake side of the hub.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1079
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
While replacing the bearings in a BW200 rear hub, I discovered the very thin metal spacer/bearing protector on the brake side was up on the "axle sleeve" two inches in from the bearing.

From the parts diagram, I see that this spacer is supposed to sit down sort of inside the bearing with the narrow part pointing inward.

Is this part supposed to center the "axle liner sleeve" against the bearing? And, how critical is this part if it could be so far out of place on the "axle sleeve"?

Overall, it seems like a double sealed bearing would be better than the outer seal only OEM bearing used on the brake side of the hub.
Without pictures it's hard to tell what you're looking at but if this thin metal "washer" is on the spacer between the bearings and has an outside diameter close to the inside diameter of the hub,it's purpose is to hold the sleeve spacer in between the bearings in place when the axle is removed.If this washer was not there,the spacer would fall down as it is much smaller than the ID of the hub.In this case you would never get the axle back in.
Or,it could be something entirely different!
Double sealed bearings are much better!!! Keeps the grease in and the dirt out!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1080
LDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
BwSwamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post

I just replaced both wheel bearing's on the rear of my BW200 , what I found this tube to be was a realainment tube for sticking your axle back into place . With the larger size washer looking thing in the center was for keeping your axle at the right height for insursion <- (sticking in ) . Sorry about my spelling . Highly medicated right , due to a cold .
LDL is offline   Reply With Quote