Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #1081
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
BW200 Rear Hub "Flange, Spacer"

Shercoman and LDL,

Thanks for the explanations,

Here are some photos of the thingee in question. On my axle sleeve there was just one of the thin flange spacers. It was slid up on the axle sleeve a bit to the brake side of center.

I was thrown off at first because the flange spacer fits so well into the open side of the brake side bearing. That must just be chance.

However, I am wondering where on the axle sleeve this flange spacer should actually be placed. I'm guessing about dead center.

Does everybody else have just one of these? I guess with the flange, only one is needed.

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/BW...lange%20Spacer

BWSwamper screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 08:54 PM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #1082
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Mr BW,

Yeah I seem to remember several bikes all Yamahas and all from right around the eighties that were not equipped with replaceable jets.

I know I took this carb apart when I first got the BW as it had been sitting for a couple years and you could smell the rancid varnishy gas. It was the bike that showed me why they call it green carb! I also know I never did mess with the jetting and it always seemed to run about the same.

I ALWAYS thought the 200's seemed a little MORE than underwhelming in their power delivery, and once I got the 350 it was HUGE improvement in power.......of course that is cause I was comparing it to the 200 which put out a whopping ...what was it? 17 horsepower? Something around there, so you would figure by almost doubling the cc you would get almost double the HP? WOW! MAYBE just over 30? No wonder the 350 skeerd me! HA!

BW swamper,

I will look at my 200 manual tomorrow as am not quite sure of what that spacer is for...only thing I can think of is lots of bikes have a fairly thinspacer in between the two bearings the axle runs through that sort of keep the bearings in place so they cannot shift left or right and work out of the pocket they are pressed into. But those typically run the full distance between both bearings.
And I have never understood why they will use bearings shielded or sealed on only ONE side in a wheel. If shielded on BOTH sides they are a LOT more dependable and not near as suseptable to dirt or water. Planned obsolesence maybe? Or maybe the factory got a package deal on em as nobody else wanted them?
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #1083
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

BW swamper,

I did not realize it was that small and thin!

You say it shows that in the parts list?

THAT looks to me like you have a shielded bearing that has had the shield come out of where it is fit into the bearing.

They typically fit down into the space where you can see the ball bearings. Usually they are pressed in and not supposed to come out. They help keep grease in but are not near as good at that or keeping dirt out as a sealed bearing which has a piece shaped much the same pushed in there but made of rubber.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #1084
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
I think that Shercoman is on the money on this one. I believe that is part of the sleeve spacer impersonating a bearing shield.

The ring was welded to the sleeve in 1987 by a Yamaha employee that probably retired 15 years ago. I think it will be difficult to get Yamaha to honor any warranty at this point.

Fortunately for me, the ring on the sleeve in the picture is held solidly in place with the strong chemical bond of rust and a thin layer of silver Krylon.

vroom_vroom,

The 350 has separate coils for charging and lighting. Neither one of them is particularly impressive when judged by their output. They do a barely adequate job and it is hard to imagine getting any excess capacity without going through a rewind of the stator or getting some super magnets involved. The set up under the stator cover looks similar to the one in the low budget Blaster 200 atv. Not the best example in the industry.

I imagine that the 200 is similarly challenged but will have to look at the specifications to really know for sure. There are some portable solar panels that might be more relevant in the desert for an Iphone application.

On the other hand, I remember this TV show where Gilligan would pedal a bamboo stationary bicycle to power an HF radio.....

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #1085
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Now I see what you are talking about!

I did think it rather strange looking at the picture of the spacer sitting on the bearing as it did not appear to cover the whole open area next to the ball bearings like a real shield should.

I also have never had either of my bikes wheels EVER off, so was not aware of that piece fixed onto the axle as in Mr. BW's picture.

My manual does not even list it.

Good thing for, and hats off to you yet AGAIN Shercoman and Mr.BW!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #1086
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 66
so when you get off work at 4am what do you do? call the two oldest guys you know with dirt bikes and hit the lake bed and sand trails. back at it at day break 2o miles out side of vegas. found out the big wheel will do 60mph!!!! had the camera out so thought we would have some fun with it.

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #1087
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 66
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1UA...ature=youtu.be

and a pointless video to go with it.

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #1088
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

SIXTY? I did not think a 200 would do sixty if you dropped it from a plane!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1089
Vintmxman
n00b

Oddometer: 4
WOW ! New guy here with a new to me BW350....My machine came with two extra wheels and tires which are Gold in color . I now know after looking at all 73 pages of this thread that these are 200 wheels. The one has a disk rotor where the sprocket should be but it's a big ATV wheel and tire. Can I use them on my 350 ? How ? Any cool mods ? And where would a guy look for a replacement carb for it ? Thanks ..Great site and great thread with tons of information.
Vintmxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1090
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Welcome!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #1091
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
While replacing the rear wheel on my BW200 I mocked up some different shock lengths.

The stock is a 10.5 inch eye-to-eye. By my measurements, the swing arm could drop by 2.38 inches at the point of shock attachment before the swingarm bottoms out.

So a 12 3/4 inch shock might just work, but I'd be concerned that a tiny amount of frame flex would cause a hard contact.

Adjusting and measuring, I concluded that a 12 1/4 inch shock is the max guaranteed safe length. Measuring at the axle hole at the back of the swingarm, that would give around 4 inches of additional travel.

However, at 12 1/4 shock length, one is starting to get into the slack primary drive chain issue and would probably need to install a nylon rub block on the swingarm where the primary chain could make contact.

An 11 3/4 inch shock would give around 3 inches of additional travel and not cause as bad of a primary chain issue.

+3 inches travel on the rear should be enough to more or less match the Tri-Z fork's additional travel. That would give around 9 inches on the rear and around 10 inches on the front if I have my facts straight.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
BWSwamper,

It's taken me a while to get measurements of the YZF6 shock versus the stock 350 shock. The YZF shock is almost exactly 1 inch longer than the original. (13" vs. 14") This is measuring them from the approximate center of the mounting holes. We are running our primary chains rather slack out of concern that the upper links of the chain might rub excessively on the top of the swing arm. I look forward to Shercoman's report on his long travel conversion. He'll probably come up with some sort of useful solution instead of our usual stop-gap measures.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #1092
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Vintmxman,

Here's another "welcome aboard."

Do you have any pictures you could post of the rear wheel? There is slim chance that you could use that hub without some serious modifications to the swing arm to accommodate a disc brake.

Does your 350 have any issues that you need another carb? The stock Tekei 28 is rare, unsupported and 'usually' not the source of engine issues.

As far as cool mods go, the sky is the limit. Where are you going to be riding the 350? Sand? Mud? Trials? Supercross?

That would help define what would be a decent modification for you.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #1093
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Vintmxman's Wheel...?

Vintmxman,

It occurs to me that the gold wheel with the disk where the sprocket should be just might be a Yamaha Tri-Z front wheel (they had disk brakes). If that is the case, you scored. Could be the previous owner was planning the Tri-Z front fork conversion for more front end travel.

Do a quick search on ebay for Tri-Z front hubs and see if you can i.d. it that way.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1094
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Longer shocks and slack chain...

Mr. Bigwheel,

Thanks for the info. Are you guys using any sort of additional rub blocks on the swing arm?

I was thinking +1.25 on the 200. But, Maybe I could go further without trouble.

I'm thinking the geometry of the 350 would give a greater travel increase per inch of additional shock length than on the 200. So maybe +1 on a 350 would be more liked +1.5 on a 200.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1095
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

That's a good possibility that the wheel with the disc on it could have a Tri Z hub.

If anyone is thinking about doing the Z conversion, this is a set of '86 Z forks on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-Ya...53bf00&vxp=mtr

They are quite a bit overpriced and have been through at least one auction cycle so far, so perhaps the owner would be open to offers.

The '86s are the larger fork (39mm vs. 35) and would require '86 triple clamps, which are as rare as hen's teeth. However, the cool points that you receive by telling people that you are running 39s on your BW make it all worth it.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel