Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #1246
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Wheels

Mr. BigWheel,

Before I installed a 12 inch rear wheel on my BW, girls used to point and laugh when I rode by.

...Now they only point and giggle.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 12:32 PM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #1247
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
Mr. BigWheel,

Before I installed a 12 inch rear wheel on my BW, girls used to point and laugh when I rode by.

...Now they only point and giggle.
A solid improvement....
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #1248
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Deaver,

That's great news. Glad it's finally running right for you. Once you start riding the BW, you'll never run the 4 wheeler again.

Shercoman,

I have a set of eccentric bushings and the fiber swing arm bushings ready to ship if you are up for another project.

I may also have to send you another wheel for modification but I'm so conflicted over the whole 10 inch vs. 12 inch argument that I'm paralyzed with indecision.

I have a new 350 that is going to require the full treatment to turn it into a race bike.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
I'm not sure "BW350" and "race bike" are allowed to be used in the same sentence.

You can send the parts.
I'll take measurements and draw prints and send them back.
I'd like to see if we could find some needle bearings to replace the plastic bushings.I might be able to adjust some dimensions to allow that.

With reduced friction,I bet Cliff could get some additional height on the Supercross course!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #1249
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 62
now i have a crack addiction for more speed out of the big wheel, how much more can i get out of it by going to a bigger tire? not sure i wanna change the sprocket as i suspect it will kill the low end on the bike.

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #1250
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
now i have a crack addiction for more speed out of the big wheel, how much more can i get out of it by going to a bigger tire? not sure i wanna change the sprocket as i suspect it will kill the low end on the bike.
Larger tire and larger front sprocket do the same thing.Sprocket is a cheaper way to see if you like it.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #1251
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
float height?

I can ride around my yard all day, runs great. If I ride up the road, and go up a few dirt hills, she starts to spudder like its not getting any gas. go back down the hill and a little while later it start the idle like high rpm then low like its gonna cut off. checked the gas cap and its working, plus the peacock let gas out of the tank. I'm think float height is off.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #1252
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAVER View Post
I can ride around my yard all day, runs great. If I ride up the road, and go up a few dirt hills, she starts to spudder like its not getting any gas. go back down the hill and a little while later it start the idle like high rpm then low like its gonna cut off. checked the gas cap and its working, plus the peacock let gas out of the tank. I'm think float height is off.
There is probably a specific setting but if you don't know that you can set the floats level when the carb is upside down and the little tab just contacts the needle.
This should get you pretty close.

Do you have a good flow of gas out of the petcock?
A lot more than a trickle?

Make sure there are no air leaks around the intake side.Spray starter fluid around the boots in front of the carb while it's idling.If it speeds up you have a leak.
These old rubber parts can crack and leak.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:13 AM   #1253
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
There is probably a specific setting but if you don't know that you can set the floats level when the carb is upside down and the little tab just contacts the needle.
This should get you pretty close.

Do you have a good flow of gas out of the petcock?
A lot more than a trickle?

Make sure there are no air leaks around the intake side.Spray starter fluid around the boots in front of the carb while it's idling.If it speeds up you have a leak.
These old rubber parts can crack and leak.
the height is supposed to be 27+ or - .5, upside down mine is 27 exactly, but I watched a guy on tube who said u have the angle your carb so the needle is pushed down. if I angle it this way its actually 37. ill pick up some starter fluid today.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #1254
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
I have a 25" on the back of my 85'-200 and like it overall.
It's a 4 ply Duro and the stiffer sidewalls give it less 'mush' in the corners and more rock proof overall..good for when your at Redrocks!
A little more top end helps me as it is plated and when on single track you can tell granny is a bit faster than before. I don't miss that too much..
(Im thinkin' an XT225-bored w/6 speed on replacement motor when this dies.)
In a prev. post I have a shot of the larger tire and smaller clearances along swing arm with it rubbing on exhaust when bottoming...
If they had a matching 27 " front I would have went with it to keep the 2' differential for stock rake angle but I really don't think it handles any worse at all. and im going with the 12" rear for shure after seeing Shercommans bike..like the look and
I would love 10 more ponies on the small frame...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #1255
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Carb woes

so I go to pull my carb to clean the idle jet. Simple right... Hell NO! One of the float screws had a head so chewed I cut a slot w a dremel to get it off. NOT HAPPENING. So I cut the head off. I loosened the airbox first (read to do that here thanx) and the manifold it shot going into the head. Found one on flebay foe $119.00 and there are more so get em while ya can. Idle jet clogged so I start feeding my trusty wire thru and it breaks in such a way that I can't get it out. 2 guitar strings later all good. Might I add what a bit#h getting the airbox lined up was. Really I've worked on many a bike this was a huge pain magnified by my having tossed the house looking for my ever elusive needle nose vice grips to try and snag it. House is trashed now must clean it before packing the pets picking up the mrs and driving upstate to play tomorrow on it. Needs more but is good enough to thrash for a while. Charging the go pro yo so I'll try to get some good footage. Adios and thanx for welcoming me. Oh and I ripped it up and down my block in Brooklyn NY, My neighbors love me.
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #1256
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 712
wingnut racer,

Before you blow the bank on a new carb boot, look for one that is off of a Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4.

It was discovered by one of the forum members on Yahoo. He reported that it was a rather tight fit to get the carb to fit inside the boot but that all other dimensions were perfect.

If my memory serves me well, I believe he found the boot somewhere for $15 last year.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #1257
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Carb Boot and tank repair

http://youtu.be/gwIOfNojmxwThanx Mr B.W. too late impulse buy but will know for the future. So I filled the tank and out the right side gas started spewing. Cracked just by the Red Side Cover. Any good epoxy fixes or cheaper than $400 tanks out there that'll fit? Will post some videos later of the first ride. Yeah I drained most of the gas and went out to play. Dang thing pulls like a tractor uphill!

wingnut racer screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 02:31 PM
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #1258
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut racer View Post
Thanx Mr B.W. too late impulse buy but will know for the future. So I filled the tank and out the right side gas started spewing. Cracked just by the Red Side Cover. Any good epoxy fixes or cheaper than $400 tanks out there that'll fit? Will post some videos later of the first ride. Yeah I drained most of the gas and went out to play. Dang thing pulls like a tractor uphill!
my impulse buy was a new tank as mine was yellowed, but not too bad. would consider selling, has the big wheel sticker only on one side but just as well it wasn't there as its bubbled a little. make me a reasonable offer. theres a pic on page 47.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #1259
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

holy shit fellas, finally got a good run on the 350. got up some real nice muddy grassy hills. Climbs sweet!

wingman, put a in-line gas filter on that big pig, 5 buck in canada so probally a buck in the US.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #1260
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
RWBWheel,

What did you end up doing about the pipe contact?
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote