Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #1336
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
I would be interested in talking to you about this.I am considering converting a WR450.
I should have said that better.
I would be interested in building a kit if you cannot find the other guy that was doing it.

I have already built a couple overpowered BW's.
If you source and use existing BW parts (front and rear hubs primarily,then the major parts of the project consists of machining wider triple clamps and building a swingarm.
When I built my BW500 I built both hubs,brakes,swingarm and the triple clamps. I don't think I would do that again.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #1337
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 827
I posted it here before, but there is someone selling a bigwheel conversion kit for a Yamaha 400/426/450 on my local CL: http://santamaria.craigslist.org/mcy/3888999783.html
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #1338
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Tire Photo

Mr. BigWheel,

Could you post a photo of the new ITP tire/wheel combo for us when you get it mounted?

Also, thanks for another fine video.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #1339
Duster11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I figured out who Mr Bigwheel sounds like when narrating his videos:

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #1340
FutZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
one of the rangers is a prick where we ride and he likes giving out tickets unless you have documentation that your bike has a spark arrestor( i know it has one) was thinking there might be something in the service manual i can print off and keep in our pack. you can fight the ticket and beat it but it a bigger pain in the ass than its worth so i just assume have some documentation when we ride out there.
You could do one better. The Phillips screw on end of the can holds it in. Just slide it out and snap a photo with your cell. There is nothing in the service manual about the spark arrester but check the manuals I linked.
FutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #1341
Sir Lef
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tools needed but forgotten

So im traveling to Phoenix for a month and would like some suggestions for trail tools.
I plan for 30 miles from the trailer with an atv accompanying.

Nice video Mr Bigwheel!
A pleasure to watch as always.
Sir Lef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #1342
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Letter j that is the guy who was building the kits looks like he didn't have much luck. I shall call him today
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #1343
Florida Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hello from the Southeast

I have been following this thread since December when I inherited the 85 bw200 that my dad bought for my sister in 86. My dad is still healthy, but got tired of storing it. So I took it apart at his house to clean the Carb and found that it needed a needle and seat. Couldn't find one so I bought a whole Chinese Carb for 40$. Bike ran, but not well. Meanwhile found the keyster rebuild kit got it and rebuilt the old one and reinstalled it with a much better result. I failed to mention that while transporting the bike from dad's house to mine, the muffler fell off. 40 miles of backtracking was fruitless so I started watching eBay. What a racket. I didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a pile of rust. My solution $100 DG muffler for a TW, $20 mandrel bends from jets, and $20 for my local muffler shop to weld the pieces that I cut together and voila, custom exhaust. Sound great and runs well too. This bike is awesome to lead my kids around on their little quads. Safe to say I have caught the big wheel fever.Last night I picked up an '86 bw80 and an '87 350. Both complete and pretty nice. I bought them from the original owners who have had them in storage for 25 years. Once I got them home and started rubbing the dust around I saw that the tires still had the red line on them, and the side panel had very little of the still shiny paint worn off. This bike may have 5 rides on it. The tank does have a leak mid way up that has some job weld on it so I may have to spend a little $ but other than that I am excited about the prospect. Thanks for this thread and I am proud to finally contribute. I will post pics when I figure out how.
Florida Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #1344
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 398
Hey guys, just added an 87 Fatcat to my stable last weekend. There doesnt seem to be a Honda specific thread, so Im going to slide in here instead. First thing on my list is a new back tire... Any preference on these?

XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #1345
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 748
STFU,

Welcome aboard. Even if you don't have a power-robbing jackshaft on your 200, you can consider yourself a fat-tired brother.

We have ridiculous issues with the stock BigWheel tires and you will have separate issues with the TR200. The best source for information might be the Fatcat Yahoo group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hondafatcat/

It is not a rollicking, fun-fest like we have here, but they do know more about the Hondas than I ever will.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #1346
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

gomerkfx700,

I have exchanged a few emails with the proprietor of the BigWheel conversions. He is earnest in the endeavor but may not be having a large measure of success. I was truly interested but was a little bit let down by the jackshaft arrangement.

I think that Shercoman's solution is the finest I have seen for the primary chain adjustment. If he does indeed convert a WR450, then I am so totally in for it.

The two-stroke YZ and WR 250 used the same swing arm as the WR450 for about a decade. The triple clamps should all be similar. I'm dying to have a 2 stroke BW like Shercoman.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #1347
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
You and me both Mr big wheel my yz is down at the moment over shift forks I plan on changing out the yz 4 speed tranny for a 5 speed peace from a 03-06 wr450 so basically I will have a kick start only we with more power and no lights I'm very excited about the idea of I have found someone who is capable of helping me out on my dream project.
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #1348
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

This is at least part of the reason why I favor a two stroke installation in a BW:

That is a shot of the overhaul of the 80. The entire process was easier than adjusting the eccentrics on the 350.

A new piston, rings, cylinder, head, gaskets, wrist pin and bearing cost $70 including shipping to Alaska. Yes, it is Chinese garbage but $70!?!!?

I added a trashy Chinese $23 (including shipping) carb and the 80 now purrs like a fairly contented kitten.

Four strokes require a sterile shop, a NASA budget and an IQ over 80.

I prefer two strokes. For one or more of the above reasons.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #1349
FutZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Loving the workbench Mr. BigWheel. So today I played hooky from work and went riding.

It was all fun and games until a tree stump caught my foot and smashed it against the footpeg and ripped the top of my steel toe boot off. Now I'm enjoying the forums with an ice pack on my foot.

Next time I will try to avoid the stumps aswell as the tree. This is as single trackish as I could find today before the stump.
FutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #1350
Florida Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
pics of the new 350

Florida Mark screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 04:06 PM
Florida Mark is offline   Reply With Quote