Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #1426
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
got led signals, tail light, horn. mirrors, good brush guards NOS Tank (mine was yellow, cracked and leaking). Getting an outta state plate and reg then I'll just eventually transfer to a NY plate. I've found this to be an easier softer way when putting things without titles on the road in NY. As for inspection stickers not an issue a few places will just give me one. I will get the DOT Radials at some point. They look like they'd be awesome off road too. Would like to investigate a better head light as the stock one dims to a useless level unless you're on the gas. Going to throw all the parts together in the next few weeks and will post pix.
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #1427
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut racer View Post
got led signals, tail light, horn. mirrors, good brush guards NOS Tank (mine was yellow, cracked and leaking). Getting an outta state plate and reg then I'll just eventually transfer to a NY plate. I've found this to be an easier softer way when putting things without titles on the road in NY. As for inspection stickers not an issue a few places will just give me one. I will get the DOT Radials at some point. They look like they'd be awesome off road too. Would like to investigate a better head light as the stock one dims to a useless level unless you're on the gas. Going to throw all the parts together in the next few weeks and will post pix.
Here in Wa mine might not pass current inspection without being 'grandfathered' witch will last till a trooper/sheriff pulls me over with knowledge..but ill have fun till then...There are some totally street tires that are dot rated that would fit..wrap that sucka' in the graphite/kelvar black buswrap and cruise Brooklyn lookin' like the batman bike..have a second set for upstate-off road..
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1428
Florida Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
update on the 350 and 80

Well I got the Carb and air filter in for the 80 and put them on and the thing cranked right up and ran well. So I drained the gear oil and what a milky brown mess that stuff was. So I ran some sea foam and atf fluid through it to flush it and took it out for a ride (after having my local tire shop put a valve stem in the flat rear tire 5 well spent dollars.) Cranked it up and shifted into gear so it jerked and quit. Started it again, got it rolling and shifted into gear and road up and down the road. Shifted fine through all three gears, but when I slowed down it quit. Figuring my cent clutch is not clutching or maybe it is clutching, but either way it ain't working. Anyone have any advice before I tear into it.
Then I took the plunge into the Carb of then 350 and to my pleasant surprise it was very clean except some oily junk in the bowl. My joy turned to dismay as I discovered some silicone stuff on one of the prongs that hold the float pin, and when I pulled it I discovered that the reason was that the prong was broken just above that hole. The broken piece was still there though luckily. Long story short I put it back together and the pin holds the broken piece on and hopefully the bottom of the bowl will help hold it together. If not I will try some fuel tank repair putty to stick it together but I will replace the needle and seat first since it may not be possible ever again. Anyone have any other ideas on fixing it? Ordered a petcock since the old one was jb welded to the old leaky tank. Fyi, my dealer said that the computer said there were only two tanks left at Yamaha. He matched part shark and I got the tank for $300. So far I have $2200 in a running 80 and a remarkably clean but yet to be started 350. Let me know what you guys think about my two issues. Thanks for reading.
-Mark
Florida Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #1429
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
My 80 had the original carb on it and ran similarly to yours. I bought a $23 Chinese carb off of ebay (including shipping) and it now idles and runs well with the jetting that came with the new one. I did have to use the original top of the carb (the part that the cable runs through to connect to the slide) because the new one was not an exact match.

It would probably cost $20 in gaskets alone to rebuild the original carb, so I think it is a good investment, even though I hate buying Chinese junk.

Speaking of junk; I have seen a number of TK carbs with one of the posts for the float broken off. People must hammer the bowl off when the gasket sticks and break the mounts in the process.

The best solution that I have seen is to drill a very small hole in the broken post, drill another in the stub of the broken post, and then insert a wire or small metal rod in the hole with a small amount of JB weld or an adhesive that will resist fuel.

It is an imperfect solution but there is no real way to fix the casting.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #1430
lexscholar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
BW200 Rear Tire Follow-up

Well, I decided on going with the ITP Mud Lite AT Tire 56A388. After too much reflection, I went with the 22x11x9 size. The profile of the tire was worrisome when I recieved it, it looked awful "square". After mounting, with less than 10 pounds PSI, I think it will be just fine (my air gauge is questionable as to the exact number). For anyone interested, the mounted, inflated diameter of the tire is 22.9 inches.

I've not had a chance to really put it through its paces, so the performance remains to be seen.
lexscholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #1431
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

lexscholar,

Please keep us advised. That is a tire I have long wanted to try but haven't since it can't be effectively studded. it looks like it would be a great summer tire though.

I ordered a 25" Mud Lite but I think the dealer I went to dropped the ball and never placed the order.

The complaint that the 4 wheelers and side x sides have with the Mud Lites is a thin sidewall. Cliff has had some fun riding alongside a wheeler that got a flat and had to ride it out because the sidewall was damaged beyond the capabilities of a plug.

Come to think of it, a LOT of the people that Cliff rides with suffer mysterious flats. Hmmmmm....

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #1432
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Tire Sizes

There certainly does seem to be a lot of variation between the stated and mounted tire dimensions of ATV tires. 22.9 is pretty close to 23 - the stated OEM diameter. But, then again, the OEM rears were either 11 or 12 wide with various reports that the mounted width of the 11 was actually greater than the 12. I think Uncle BigWheel had the OEM 11 and 12 wide dimensions on the BigWheel group.

Here is Uncle BigWheel's comment from the group. There is a comparison photo posted under his photos on the group site.

"85 on RIGHT is a12" but not as wide 11" The original 85 tire is taller actually about 23" tall compared to 21.5 on the 647M. but it is actually not as wide"

BWSwamper screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 07:12 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #1433
lexscholar
Adventurer

No doubt on the variations of reported diameters. That's why I took a tape measure and used some handy, dandy stuff called "geometry." That's pretty heady stuff for a guy that rides a Big Wheel!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #1434
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

What is this "geometry" you speak of.

Isn't diameter something that you measure with a string?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #1435
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
What is this "geometry" you speak of.

Isn't diameter something that you measure with a string?

No,diameter is measured by putting one hand on each side of the item to be measured.

Think "fisherman".
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #1436
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
foot pegs

Just got some of the bigger footpegs (went w steele) thanx Mr. Bigwheel for the suggestion
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #1437
lexscholar
Adventurer

Tools to Measure Tire Diameter

Calipers also work.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #1438
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
STI ATR Comparison

Here is a link to some photos showing the STI ATR (DOT Approved) tires next to the OEM tires.

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/BW...3ff48.jpg.html
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #1439
greg24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
well I was looking for a set of tires so I order a set of sti atr . on the front I got a 25-8-12 and on the back a 25-12-9 so will let you all know how that goes. just as long as the better half don't beat we with them
Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #1440
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
Here is a link to some photos showing the STI ATR (DOT Approved) tires next to the OEM tires.

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/BW...3ff48.jpg.html
I love that 12" rear rim....like to see a pic on bike..but then ill want one..
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote