Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #691
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I'm surprised you mounted them with the reservoirs pointing forward. The "usual" orientation is with the reservoirs to the rear.
They actually fit both ways, so I had a choice. I thought whats the best way and why. The reason I chose forward was for mass centralization & I liked the look this way. Didn't see any negatives, but if there are any concerns out there - let me know.

I know the mass centralization argument is weak given its a big heavy bike, but at least its a reason. I see a lot of the higher performance cars mount their brake calipers towards the center CG - maybe for the same reason (?) or other like air flow / cooling???

For instance...

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com

JimmyTheHog screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 09:22 PM
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #692
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Finally finished the suspension tweaking and went for a little test ride in the hills today. Only stopped to take a few pictures and to adjust the rear spring preloads. Too much fun

Now I need to clean it up a bit for the Quail Gathering next Saturday. Then after that, its time to do some dual sporting and get it dirty.

Here are some pics of todays test ride...

Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #693
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,105
Looks awesome, Jim! I'll see you at Quail, next week!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #694
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 448
At a loss for words till I come out of shock....Bravo!!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #695
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,465
Hope you like attention 'cause riders and non-riders are absolutely 'gonna be swarming all over you wherever you go.

Absolutely awesome!

We do need video so that we can hear the purdy sounds
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #696
Soapy
Tarmac Stromer

Oddometer: 16
I have been following this for a short while and have to say it's been well worth it!
Enjoy that great machine to the full, you certainly deserve it.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #697
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 776
Fabulous, just fabulous.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #698
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Oddometer: 64
Talking If you Kit it, Im in

Superb!
wah64apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #699
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
To bad the MOCO wont/doesn't make what you've made, wow nice bike. If I had the funds I know who I would commission to build my offroad Harley.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #700
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Stunning Jimmy.

Some more luggage and a bigger windscreen and you could REALLY have a long haul Adventure bike there. but it is perfect for what you built it for, day long adventures.

So tell seriously, have you ridden any Boxer motored BMWs? How would you say the motor in the sporty feels comparitvely for this type of bike?

My dad had a 1993 Sporty 1200 and I found it a vibratey compared to my '03 Dyna and that was not as smooth as my Boxer, but with this different suspension and wheel set up how does it ride?

Gorgeous no matter what.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #701
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Stunning Jimmy.

Some more luggage and a bigger windscreen and you could REALLY have a long haul Adventure bike there. but it is perfect for what you built it for, day long adventures.

So tell seriously, have you ridden any Boxer motored BMWs? How would you say the motor in the sporty feels comparitvely for this type of bike?

My dad had a 1993 Sporty 1200 and I found it a vibratey compared to my '03 Dyna and that was not as smooth as my Boxer, but with this different suspension and wheel set up how does it ride?

Gorgeous no matter what.
I probably at some point will look into more luggage capacity, but as you said, that's not what this bike is about. This is more of a dual sport hot rod, as I like to say. So for now, this is how it will be.

For comparison, I currently have an 09 R12GSA, and have owned/ridden an 12GS, 1150GS, HP2, 950 AdvS, 950 SE, 990 Adv, 690ER, KLR, TE610, and XR650.

Vibration: The SC3 is based on the hard mount 03 Sportster and yes, its vibey, but I have rubber dampers in the bar risers, so its not that bad. Compared to all the other bikes though, it still has the most vibration.

Comfort: Based on short 100 miles rides - the SC3 is pretty similar to the big KTM's, and more comfortable than the smaller 690, 650, 610 bikes. The GS's are far more comfortable though, even with stock seats. Ergos are stretched out and has plenty of leg room with the new lower peg positions. Seat is a Corbin which initially feels hard, but after long miles, still feels pretty good.

Off-Road: I think the SC3 fits somewhere between the 950's and the smaller 6XX's. Relatively nimble and agile for a big bike, but so far, I haven't pushed the limits like I used to on the 950/990's. Way more capable on techincal stuff than the GS's. The single pin crank on the Sportster has an interesting characteristic in that it feels much lighter when you ride it - not sure how to explain it, but I think it may have something to do with the flywheel mass, single pin, and firing order. Id like to hear others thoughts on this.

At some point I'll get brave enough to let others ride the bike so to get un-biased opinions and input. To date, only two people have ridden it. My good friend Mark who I trust on it as hes a heck of rider, and David Edwards - who maybe will at some point write a blurb on what he thought.

JimmyTheHog screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 09:10 PM
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #702
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
To bad the MOCO wont/doesn't make what you've made, wow nice bike. If I had the funds I know who I would commission to build my offroad Harley.
Thanks, I'd be happy to license the patent pending design to them if they wanted

Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #703
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I look forward to reading eventual other riders opinions, but that seemed very honest and unbiased. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #704
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
The single pin crank on the Sportster has an interesting characteristic in that it feels much lighter when you ride it - not sure how to explain it, but I think it may have something to do with the flywheel mass, single pin, and firing order. Id like to hear others thoughts on this.

I've owned a Buell Uly, put 40,000 miles on it all over the west. Took it places it didn't belong. That thing was terrible to ride under 3,000 rpm, but faster than that and it did feel lighter than it was. I've ridden most of the bikes on your list there and I find a bike that has an engine that rotates in the direction of travel is easier to ride and "feels" lighter than it really is. They may shake and what not, but they "feel" lighter than a boxer. Ducati, Buell, Strom, big KTM's...they all feel lighter than they are.

My carb'd 1150GS is lighter than your Sportster, but I guarantee that my bike "rides" heavier.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #705
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 142
Jim, I hope that are really not going to go trail riding with that beautiful tank!
Several centuries ago, I had a brand new Yamaha TT500 with just such a beautiful aluminium tank.
Dented it with my knee on the first ride. Don't know what caused me the greatest agony: the sore knee or the sight of my beautiful tank - with a dent....
Rob